Stand Strong in Difficult Times

prayer..

The enemy we face, Satan, is very crafty and patient.  He has thousands of years of experience in tempting and appealing to man to turn his back on God.  Starting in the Garden of Eden when he twisted God’s own words to lead Adam and Eve into sin, he is a master liar and teller of the half truth.

Today I believe we are seeing satan’s final plans to undermine God’s Word coming to fruition.  He is succeeding in producing chaos through Islamic terrorism, rising tensions in the Middle East, human greed and the increase of humanism both in the world and even in some Christian churches.

Sadly, many Christians seem to be just going through life oblivious to what is happening around us and to us.  Many seem more concerned with short term issues like the economy than in making sure we are prepared for the return of our King, Jesus Christ.  All around us satan is moving his chess pieces into position to spring his trap on those who are not completely focused on Jesus Christ.  To Christians immersed in God’s Word it is becoming apparent that the Lord is preparing to return—maybe very soon.  The birth pains are evident—wars, growing persecution, and worldly leaders positioning themselves and their agendas as the savior of mankind.

It is more important than ever that true Christians spend significant time in prayer, God’s Word and sharing the salvation gospel to a world that is deteriorating rapidly.  And remember that when things get really tough—when war, terrorism and persecution ramp up—this is not a time for panic or worry.  It is a time for perseverance and hope, as we prepare for the return of our King.  So let’s be diligent, prayerful and complete the task at hand—spreading the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ.  For however many years we have left in this life, let’s be the greatest salt and light we can be to a world that desperately needs the eternal hope of Jesus Christ.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Stand Strong in Difficult Times”

1. bengreenbay #

THERE'S A MONSTER UNDER THE BED!!!I understand we shouldn't scream PEACE, PEACE, when there is no peace, but should we instead scream END TIMES, END TIMES, when we aren't sure they're here? For 2,000 years people have been doing this. For 2,000 years there has been war, famine, plagues, disease, torture, unrest, genocide, etc. What makes you think now is worse than in the past? The 20th Century was the bloodiest century on record due to military advancements, population growth, a horrible recession, and migrating peoples. This being said, previous centuries weren't sunshine and lollipops. This is a Romantic idea of the past. We nailed God onto a cross 2,000 years ago, yet today is so much worse than then? The Greeks executed the wisest man in the world 2,400 years ago. Gandhi was assassinated 60 years ago. Martin Luther King was assassinated 40 years ago. I know times are bad, but we need to stop focusing on the end times debate that we know nothing about. The Pharisees couldn't understand Old Testament prophecy, yet we think we can understand New Testament & Old Testament prophecy. I thought Protestants humbled themselves at the feet of God and admitted that they knew nothing without Him. I thought Protestants lowered the level of human reason and elevated God's reason. Now it seems that Protestants assume they know even more than the Catholics in Luther's time.

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM Reply
    • Deb #

2 Peter 3:2-4
      New King James Version (NKJV)

2 that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us,[a] the apostles of the Lord and Savior, 3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation

So when do you think the end times will come? For come they will. What things will happen that are not happening right now on the political, economical, religious levels?

October 21, 2011 at 4:15 AM Reply
  2. bengreenbay #

Oh, I forgot to ask. Do you think the unrest around the world today has nothing to do with the economy? It's weird that people peacefully protesting and overthrowing their oppressors is a sign of the end times, while dictators oppressing their people is just business as usual. The Founding Fathers overthrew their oppressors with violence and that wasn't a sign of the end times, but peacefully doing it is a sign? I don't know what else to say.Maybe I should point out the ridiculousness of Christians getting paid to mislead followers over the radio waves and on this website.

February 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM Reply
  3. Mike #

Ben, if you cannot keep the conversation civil, I will ask you to quit posting.  Feel free to disagree with me anytime, but your ending comments are not welcome.<o:p></o:p>

February 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM Reply
  4. bengreenbay #

Hello Mike, you're correct. If what I say is not true, then I shouldn't post it. I apologize for posting anything that is either untrue or an ad hominem argument.Is there a location where I can find experience/credentials for everyone working for "Stand up for the Truth"? This isn't meant to be an insult or anything else. I just want to figure out where your authority comes from. There are quite a few controversial, not necessarily wrong, statements about many different areas of study and I'd like to find out if all of you are exceptionally informed or educated in any of these areas. For instance, many of the comments here relate to global politics, history, theology, end times prophecy, politics, economics, education policy, public budgeting, ethics, etc. I'm educated in many of these areas and want to know why I disagree with so much of the discussion.Thank you.

February 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM Reply
  5. bengreenbay #

I should have said I'm educated AND EXPERIENCED in many of these areas since no one values education today. I constantly here that "Those professors and teachers are all wacky liberals" which is a conclusion I've found based on the unstated premise "because they disagree with me." Right now, professors dedicated to serving their communities are running around trying to figure out what is going to happen if their teaching assistants (that are the second lowest paid in the BIG 10 Conference) end up going on strike leaving them helpless in their classrooms. They're sending emails back and forth about what they should do. Should they cross the picket lines and help their students or should they stick with their TAs that they need in order to help their students? Teachers are receiving layoff notices and wondering why so many good teachers are being let go. They're wondering how students will learn nearly as much when their class sizes go from 20 to 25 to 30 in early elementary classrooms. They're wondering why so many people hate them for trying to make the world a better place. I don't understand it and never have. Growing up, I only thought of careers in public service and so do many little kids. We think about joining the military, becoming fire fighters, peace officers, teachers, professors, social workers, pastors (public servants?; of course; they're performing a service on behalf of the public in addition to God), etc. As we grow up, we're forced to think about the most profit we can make and worship business ownership as the greatest occupation. Don't believe me? What is the number one occupation politicians now brag about when running for office even if they aren't much of one? A private sector business owner. Someone once told John Glenn that he had never had a real job, because he had only been a Marine fighter pilot, an astronaut, and a politician. Amazing that these are such bad occupations that we call them fake. The change took place with Machiavelli and expanded with other political thinkers. Machiavelli wanted the tangible and what actually took place instead of those high ideals Plato talked about.

February 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM Reply
  6. Mike #

Ben, NEVER have I referred to all teachers and professors as wacky liberals.  I have no question—as I have stated repeatedly on air—that the majority of our teachers are hard working people who care about our children.  I have also said on air I have no problem with teachers having a union.  It is the NEA that I have serious problems with.  And if you look at their history and what they stand for you will see why.<o:p></o:p> I appreciate you keeping the comments civil and welcome that kind of dialogue.  Yes, I have strong opinions on air—but never once have I disparaged teachers.<o:p></o:p>

February 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Reply
  7. Mike #

Ben, we disagree because we are human.  We both believe strongly in our positions—there is nothing wrong with that.  Am I a person who has a Masters’ degree in any of the areas you mention?  No.  Have I learned in my days as a student and from life experiences—yes.  Am I “biblical scholar”?  No.  Do I pray and study God’s Word daily? Yes.  And I have a team of Christian Pastors that I am accountable to for direction and advice.<o:p></o:p> Ben, you may or may not agree with this, but there is more to being “educated” than going to college or getting a degree.  <o:p></o:p> And my concern about your posting has nothing to do with questioning your intelligence, like you appear to want to do with me.  It has to do with your ending comments about Christian radio.  Again Ben, I welcome your comments and do not mind at all when anyone disagrees with me—I have no pretense on being right all the time.  I share my knowledge, experience and OPINIONS.  And you are most welcome to disagree with my opinions if it is done in a respectful manner.<o:p></o:p> I hope you have a blessed weekend Ben.<o:p></o:p>

February 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM Reply
  8. bengreenbay #

I know you didn't make those comments about teachers. I was qualifying my first sentence. I was pointing out that people don't trust the educated, which was why I was also pointing out that I had experience with these things as well. I had to point out that I had experience, because, as you just pointed out, "there is more to being "educated" than going to college or getting a degree." This is why I through in the experienced part. For some reason I've often been ridiculed for having an education. I'd think it would be better to have an education and experience, but others only think experience is important.Like I said, I have experience. I simply wanted to know if you had an education in these things. I'm not questioning your intelligence. It's just difficult for smart people to understand issues sometimes when they don't know enough about them. For example, much of the ridicule of Christianity comes from not actually understanding it. Much of the ridicule of global climate change comes from a lack of understanding (I'm sure by mentioning this issue I'm losing credibility, because for some reason climatology has something to do with both religion and political ideology; I can't figure this out, but there you have it). Since I brought it up, what is your opinion of climate change? Similarly, much of the ridicule of philosophy is from a lack of understanding of philosophy. For instance, most Christians have no idea how ENORMOUS of an influence Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle have had on understanding Christianity. Even those that think they get their ideas from the Bible actually understand those passages because of these Greek philosophers. Plus, it is highly likely that the super educated Apostle Paul read Greek philosophy and this influenced him. Additionally, St. Augustine (the early church father of Catholicism and the head of the order from which Luther derived his beliefs (Augustinian monks); Calvin was also influenced heavily by Augustine) was a Manichean until he became a Platonic philosopher/theologian. Plato influenced his writings. St. Thomas Aquinas was, in turn, influenced by Aristotle, Plato, and Augustine. Aquinas is another huge influence on Christianity, both Catholicism and Protestantism. These philosophers, as well as many others, have influenced the way we understand Christianity, yet if you tell most Christians you're studying philosophy, they think you're an atheist.Again, much of the ridicule of the education system in the U.S. comes from misunderstandings because of a lack of education in that area. For instance, it is commonly understood that the U.S. education system falls far behind the rest of the world. Because of this, people assume all of our states' education system is horrible and none of our schools are doing what is right, so we try to change all of them. If I told you that both Minnesota and Massachusetts actually compete with the top countries around the world in math and science (as well as other fields), you might not believe me. It's been proven. Students from both of these states took international exams and demonstrated superiority. However, since everyone assumes the entire U.S. can't compete, both of these states are forced to implement costly and unproven techniques to improve their systems. In reality, they were already doing the right things, but now they're being forced to do the wrong things because of a lack of knowledge on the part of policymakers and decision makers.I realize experience makes a difference. I have a lot of it for my age. I'd talk about it here, but I don't think it's appropriate. If you have an email address I'll send you a few things.

February 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM Reply
  9. bengreenbay #

By the way, I just found out today that graduate teaching assistants at UW-Milwaukee make 19-29% less than peer institutions. Apparently they need to sacrifice more despite the fact that they already make far less than others. The crazy thing is, they're still complaining about collective bargaining and not the pay they're going to lose or the health care insurance they're going to have to pay more for. They don't even receive pension benefits, so this really shouldn't bother them. They make a whopping $7,600/year. Then they pay for fees, books, and health care benefits. I'm pretty sure they didn't cause this crisis.

February 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM Reply
  10. Mike #

Ben, never apologize for or allow people to belittle you for getting a great education.  With the advent of blogs and facebook, too many people spout off with opinions because they can remain somewhat anonymous and do not converse in person.  We also live in highly charged times where emotions run very high.The reason I feel we are in the end times is based solely on my God given wisdom on His written Word.  Jesus said we would know His return is imminent by His Word and teachings.  Virtually every biblical prophecy has been fulfilled that is required for His return.  You are absolutely correct when you state that this has been believed as early as the Apostle Paul.  But Paul did not have the advantage of having the written New Testament to study.Ben, despite obvious differences we have on issues, I really would enjoy meeting over a cup of coffee.  I am sure we could learn from each other.  One other thing, and in no way am I directing this to you personally–knowledge and wisdom are completely different things.  Man can acquire knowledge, but true wisdom can only come from God.  I do not consider myself to be a man of great knowledge, but the Lord has blessed me with wisdom in some areas.Have a great weekend Ben.Sent from my iPad

February 26, 2011 at 5:15 AM Reply
  11. bengreenbay #

I agree with much of what you said, but these things also bring up further questions/problems. I realize Paul didn't have the entire New Testament to refer to, let alone 2,000 years of history since Christ to think about. However, two problems remain: 1) How do we know we are able to interpret prophecy accurately? Paul (or actually Saul of Tarsus at the time) and the Pharisees couldn't interpret prophecy from the Old Testament about the coming of Christ. They knew some of it, but not all of it. They couldn't even interpret God's commands accurately. I'm not saying we're all wrong about prophecy, just that I'm not sure we're fully correct. 2) The New Testament has been complete for over 1,500 years. Many very intelligent/knowledgeable/wise Christians have made predictions from biblical prophecy and turned out to be wrong.I agree with you that our time seems horrible. I've participated in this horribleness as most others have. I realize more than others how very horrible it is. I also know more about biblical prophecy than most others do. Yet, based on the errs of many in the past and based on the horribleness of the past, I'm reluctant to announce we're in end times anymore than we have been in the past. The world is a horrible place today, yet it is also a wonderful place. Democracy is spreading in the Middle East, North Africa, Persia, and even Russia. Democracy has recently spread to Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America. These are places we never thought it was possible to see democracy. Now, I'm not attributing Christianity with democracy, because they're not the same. However, democracy does tend to overthrow oppression from unjust dictators and result in a more just system of government, which is part of Christianity.As I mentioned before, I'd love to meet for coffee sometime. However, ironically, I'm generally extremely busy until summer arrives. It's even more ironic that, as a public servant that needs to sacrifice more, I make a measly $7,600/year to travel from Green Bay to Milwaukee twice per week. Oh, and I don't receive health or pension benefits at all. I chose to make this sacrifice to benefit others (not myself) in the future. I could have easily went to school and studied business/accounting/law etc., but I chose to be a public servant for the benefits to others. Now I'm portrayed (not by you) as seeking benefits for myself. If I don't lose my job, I'll have to quit if the Governor's bill passes, because my spouse will have to pay even more for her health/pension benefits. Because of these changes, we'll no longer be able to afford my occupation. Thus, I'll have to exit the low paying public sector in order to enter the private sector where I'll receive far more money. However, I'm kind of looking forward to the change, because I haven't been able to have weekends or evenings off for the last fourteen years I've worked (three years private sector & eleven public; not consecutively nor same employer). The moral of my story? We've made significant sacrifices to serve in the public sector. Now one of us will make fewer sacrifices to work in the private sector.In the end, I probably won't be able to have coffee with you until mid-June. Now, I'm not just busy because of my employment. I also have a family that demands my time. I doubt you'll still be interested or even remember me four months from now, so scheduling a meeting is probably futile.

February 28, 2011 at 9:13 AM Reply

Ben you asked if we can really know if any of us got it right? I think it boils down to what you do with what you know God's word says to do.
    God gives wisdom and understanding to those who diligently seek him and them that don't, He gives over to the depravity of their own mind. See Romans 1:18-End for the results of that action.
    That being said, God says there is none that do good no not one. So we all at some point have things wrong. We all have heresies we carry with us and act upon and everyone thinks they are right and their ways are right. Just read Proverbs. In a sense we all are fools because even when we know what is right we don't do it, and who in their right mind would go against The Living God.
    Unfortunately the Church is not addressing this issue nor can it the way we practice it today. Rather what we call the Church today has become an institution created by man to glorify man rather than God and it is therefore falling into apostasy just like the rest of the world.
    Jesus said, in the last days they (followers if Him) will die because of my name and that is happening and has been happening whether the media cares to acknowledge that or not.

June 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM Reply
  13. Stuenkel #

I love your blog, you should add an RSS feed feature so I can get automatic notifications of new blogs. If you set one up please email me! i will bookmark you for now. Again Excellent Blog!

September 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM Reply
    • Far upper right hand corner is where you'll find the RSS logo. Click to subscribe.

September 15, 2011 at 5:50 AM Reply