A Reiki warning: taking a stand

A couple of months ago one of our listeners heard a show we did on how the New Age was creeping into the church and into our culture. Practices that once were considered alarming to discerning Christians are now becoming accepted as mainstream, no-big-deal events. As we were sharing information about Yoga and Reiki, we received a call from Sandy, who has a story to share. She put her experiences in an email so that others could know that yes, it is good to stand up against practices that go against what God says is Holy and righteous.
Massage in Frankfurt, Germany

Good Morning Mike and Amy, here is my experience with Reiki.  Thank you and your guests for warning people.   I have never participated in Reiki, I warn those I encounter and I will continue to do so.  Please know, that part of this training was that I was to learn to experience my own deity.

When I was in school for massage therapy, I was required by the state of Wisconsin to learn about Reiki.  At the time, I was sickened by the thought, even though I didn’t know why.  The class was led by Reiki Masters, one man and one woman.  The woman started the class by leading a meditation session.  She told everyone to close their eyes, clear their minds and wait to see a color and then wait to see where they would go in their minds.

Everyone else closed their eyes.  I sat with my hands folded in front of me on the table and my eyes wide open and silently prayed.  I knew I needed help in this.  This was only the first event in and 8 hour day.

The instructor then went around the room and asked everyone to report what color they saw and where they went.  Classmates reported beautiful colors and wonderful places.  When it was my turn, I simply reported, “I am a Christian and I will not meditate this way.  Therefore, I didn’t see anything and I didn’t go anywhere.”  With a condescending “Oh”, she quickly moved on.

The day consisted of instruction.  I prayed, “Do I run?”  I calmly stayed in my seat and payed attention.  I was so at peace in the whole incident.  As the day progressed there was talk about the history of Reiki and its uses today.  They told us about the power in the universe and that eventually we could connect.  We needed to become aware of our own spiritual energy and healing powers and deity.

When we gathered after lunch we were to break into pairs.  I took a chair and quietly sat down.   The man would not make eye contact with me.  He looked my way, took a deep breath and rushed away.  The woman approached me and asked if I was okay.  I said, “I’m fine.  I told you I’m a Christian.  I will not participate in this.”  She said, “that’s okay, we don’t judge.”  I responded, “it doesn’t matter if you do judge.  I am not participating.”

What followed was weird.  It was as if they were in a trance.  I kept praying.

Another student approached me and said she didn’t want to do this either.  I asked her why.  She said she didn’t know.  We sat together and quietly talked.  As it turned out, I know her mother.  He mother is a Christian woman I know from a prayer group and we had prayed for this girl for years.  That’s another story, just a brief Praise the Lord I wanted to share.

We sat together and observed strange behavior as they proceeded to contact the universe.  Some broke down in tears, some wept, some laughed, some convulsed and some went lifeless.  Some of the behavior reminded me of what I read about Benny Hinn shows or Toronto or what I saw at a local church years back.  You could almost see and smell the evil in that room.

If this class would have been early in the program, I would probably have dropped out of the program.  I stayed in and learned how to move muscles.  Most of massage therapy is about moving muscles, relaxation and pain relief.

This was a strange 8 hours, but I knew the Lord was with me and protecting me.  He gave me opportunity to minister to a girl I had prayed for.  For the rest of the program, I had opportunities to share with my classmates.  Many were curious about why I wouldn’t participate.  I hope seeds were planted.

Since then, I continue to share with people about Reiki and other alternative services and why I won’t participate.

Many think this is harmless or even helpful.  I disagree.  Thank you for warning us about this.

Sandy

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “A Reiki warning: taking a stand”

1. I would be interested to know why Sandy did not participate as it is not clear tbh.
    I think the course should have asked her if she wanted to do it as it should be her choice – especially as the course she took was based on body massage, which Reiki is not.
    I do understand, even though I am at practitioner level, I don't practise Reiki as I prefer to use something that is more tangible like facial massage to relax a client (and relaxation is really the basis behind proper Reiki, rather than some mad spiritual enlightenment)
    I have never heard of the whole "close your eyes and tell me what colour you see" thing at all so I would suggest that comes from the individual teachers and should not be a part of Reiki attunement/training at all – so she is quite right to think it's nuts! :)
    xx

November 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM Reply
    • terriergal #

"relaxation is really the basis behind proper Reiki, rather than some mad spiritual enlightenment"

The International Center for Reiki Training disagrees with you http://www.reiki.org/faq/whatisreiki.html
      "The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words – Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."

A treatment feels like a wonderful glowing radiance that flows through and around you. Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and wellbeing. Many have reported miraculous results.

Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. It has been effective in helping virtually every known illness and malady and always creates a beneficial effect. It also works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve side effects and promote recovery."

July 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM Reply
  2. Matthew LeMay #

I am a Christian who attends Church regularly and I have a deep, personal relationship with God and Jesus Christ. I am also a practitioner of traditional healing arts, with a specialty in Asian Medicine, in which I a currently hold a master's degree and am in the process of acquiring my clinical doctorate. I feel called to clarify the truth about "Reiki" and other healing practices and their relationship to the Christian faith.

Reiki is a modern, Japanese version of an older and more sophisiticated healing art called "Wai Qi" in China. One of the most rewowned practitioners of this art alive today, and the teacher of my teachers, is a Christian man named Duan Zhi-Liang, from a multi-generational Christian family in Beijing.

In China, a huge body of scientific research has been compiled on this subject, while in America such research has largely been lacking due to the fact that the biomedical establishment tends to view it as superstitious. I speak and read the Chinese language and have read numerous translations of the research being done in China. I am considering designing further research to replicate these findings in America. Naturally, I am saddened to see that my father's radio show is spreading fear and misconception about the scientific work that I am involved with, but I am apt to believe that it is due to misunderstanding since I know he has a good heart. Just what "Reiki" is has already been determined conclusively, so there is no further need for fear or dismissal and I hope to demonstrate that below.

Reiki is simply the adjustment of the human magnetic field by individuals trained to sense and work with it. It is not religious healing and is not, strictly speaking, associated with any New Age faith or any religion for that matter. It is simply scientific medicine as much as sampling blood work or prescribing vitamins, and it is practiced as such in Asia. The reason why it sometimes involves strong emotional cleansing or apparently "spiritual" phenomena is because the generator of the vast majority of the human magnetic field is the heart, and the heart is closely involved in emotional experience.

The heart is much more than a mechanical pump–its magnetic field is the strongest in the body, can be measured anywhere in the body, and is highly responsive to emotions and physical health/disease in very predictable ways. Measurements of the heart's magnetism can indicate a wide range of health and disease. Atheletes, meditators and other very healthy people have what is called a high Heart Rate Variability (HRV) which is related to particularly strong coherence of the heart's magnetic field. People who spend a lot of time in prayer also have similar readings. These things can be measure and re-proven with very simple, inexpensive scientific equipment.

The purpose of meditation according to traditional Asian Health Science is, strictly speaking, to "Calm and Regulate the Heart" (Tiao Ping Xue). It works on both the literal heart and on the brain's cognitive and emotional centers. This leads to a wide variety of physical and mental health benefits. It is science, not religion, though some religious groups, including a very large number of Orthodox and other Christians, use meditation to calm their heart/mind before they pray so that their prayer can be deeper. For more information on Christian meditation, please see the work of Father Thomas Merton.

Reiki practitioners are simply people who have trained to sense and regulate their own biomagnetic fields and thereby guide others to higher biomagnetic coherence states. When coherence is reestablished, you can see it on an EEG or other instruments–it is very literal, physiological change, which I have personally witnessed. In this state, people may have spontaneous mental, emotional or physical healing occur as the communication between the CNS and the body becomes more clear. Again, this is not religious phenomena and does not depend on what you believe spiritually. However, many spiritual people recognize the value of having a clear, healthy mental and physical state to deepen their religious life.

Meditation is without question an integral part of traditional Christian practice and remains so today. To demonstrate this, I would refer you to the works of several great masters of the Orthodox Christian faith, the oldest Christian church in the world, including Hieromonk Damascene, Hieromonk Seraphim Rose, Saint Seraphim of Sarov, as well as the Trappist Father Thomas Merton and the Benedictine Brother David Steindl-Rast. I would also refer you to documentaries on the phenomenal Christian Wai Qigong healer Duan Zhi-Liang. Therefore the fact that certain types of Reiki may utilize meditation should not be a bar to Christian participation. While Christians practice religious meditation on Christ, God the Father, the Theotokos, and the Holy Spirit, the type of meditation practiced by Reiki healers is physiological and secular– not religious in nature, but neither is it incompatible with religion.

Scientific research on meditation and reiki healing should continue, so that fear and superstition can be eliminated and people can enjoy the benefits of this simple medicine. Most "reiki" in this country is relatively superficial and aims primarily at relaxation as a complement to massage, etc. However, in China true Wai Qi, which requires much more rigorous training by practitioners (10+ years of daily practice), is even used as adjuctive care for cancer, with research clearly demonstrating that it can reduce and eliminate some types of cancer cells, including leukemia. Wouldn't it be nice if we could use this simple, inexpensive medicine without fear in America?

I believe that God is paving the way for this to happen. Some of the most serious practitioners and advocates of this medicine that I know are devout Christians, including ordained priests and monastics as well as lay followers and leaders.

I will leave you with this. While Wai Qi is not a religious practice, the research being done on it does have profound implications for the religious community and all those who believe in intelligent design, the necessity of spirituality and the power of prayer. People with a deep prayer life as well as spiritual healers show incredible readings on the measurement equipment! It seems from the science that humans are "wired" to seek God and that a relationship with God shows measurable physical and energetic benefits to human health. I have personally seen evidence that people with a true spiritual relationship with God produce more powerful readings that those who merely practice secular/physiological meditation. A professor at my school even demonstrated that prayer by one person can affect the brainwaves of another person from a distance! Not only is this great news for energy healers, it is important scientific evidence for intelligent design!

God has given us *plenty* of evidence that He is with us! Fear of things that are new or foreign is not a part of the Christian way– we must guard our hearts from things that glorify sin, evil and the flesh-ego, but we should keep them open to healing and love. Jesus said that we, His followers, would do great things if we worked in His name and line. Science and religion do not have to be opposed, and Christians and non-Christians can have a meaningful dialogue about the mind, body and spirit and the nature and role of healing in both mundane and spiritual life.

I hope that well-intentioned Christians like Sandy will be able to transcend their fear and participate fully in the Communion of the Holy Spirit, the legacy of Truth, Light and Healing that was bestowed upon the followers of the Supreme Incarnation of the Logos, Jesus Christos.

November 19, 2011 at 10:28 AM Reply
    • Matthew,
      Do you know of any Christian instructors for Reiki or Wai Qi in America?
      The Bible states in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, "4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills."

I am a born again Christian and I believe the the Holy Spirit has given me the gift of healing, I am looking for Christian instruction on how to learn more about utilizing my gift.
      Thank you!

April 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM Reply
    • terriergal #

"Reiki is simply the adjustment of the human magnetic field by individuals trained to sense and work with it."

Yes, well, unfortunately, the electrical fields around our bodies are determined by body chemistry, not by people pushing it around with their hands or their own electrical fields. THAT is the quackery (at best) and spiritual (at worst) element in this thing.

July 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM Reply
  3. Matthew LeMay #

For those who are very interested in the science side of this issue, I should add that the current state of research on the topic suggest that the physiological effects of Wai Qi also include modulation of far infrared, microwave, gamma, and bio-photonic elements. DNA has also been demonstrated to be responsive to and conducive of biomagnetic fields, which may explain the effects vis a vis the treatment of cancer.

November 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM Reply
  4. D #

So her message was hilarious. In the first place Reiki is not a religion. It is spiritual, religion is man made where spirituality is how we are all connected. And spirituality doesn't have rules that trap you in a way of thinking and make you feel guilty if you don't go to church or fulfill your calling. Mormonism is so man made that one can not see straight and understand that you have inner power. I am a Reiki Practioner II and was married to a mormon for almost 10 years. Their way of thinking is so man made and it oppresses women.
    Cute story for you: Joesph Smith (the founder of this polygamist cult) tried to start another religion before he started the Mormon religion. He was in a town in New York, near Palmrya and he convinced the town that he was a true prophet of God by walking on water. The townsfolk were shocked and amazed. But everyone has to sleep sometimes and when everyone (almost everyone) was asleep, some teenagers went down to the water and found that there were planks of wood in the water and pulled one out. The next day, Joesph went down to walk on water, but the fool fell in. And shortly thereafter he was arrested.True Story.

May 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM Reply
    • terriergal #

"It is spiritual, religion is man made where spirituality is how we are all connected."

Jesus disagrees.

Those who have faith in him as God in human flesh, who came and made atonement for their sins which separated them from God and each other, are connected to him and to each other. The rest are not connected at all and will perish in their sins. Repent and trust Jesus and quit buying this new age lie which only serves to pacify people and convince them they are not on their way to hell.

July 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM Reply
  5. maria perls #

Well said. A good read for a very sensitive topic particularly to people of faith. I have come to know that when one generation tolerates something, the next generation accepts it. Thanks for sharing.

February 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM Reply
  6. Katherine #

I love reiki. It all comes fr the same energy. The same energy Jesus used. I want to be like Jesus, not because Christianity tells me to, but because i love Jesus. Jesus is not a religion. Im called to share reiki and its been the most healing time in my life. I have to th as nk Jesus.: )

July 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM Reply
    • standupwi #

Katherine, Jesus is God. Reiki does NOT use God's power. If you are "called to share reiki," it is not Jesus calling you to do it; it is a very different, dark calling you are listening to. If you want to discuss this more (and I hope you do), please let me know if I may contact you via the email you provided.

July 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM Reply
    • joe #

reiki is unproven and totally useless, google reiki is rubbish, you will find plenty of evidence telling us that reiki is RUBBISH.

August 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM Reply
  7. Don #

Reiki is raw spiritism.. No difference between it , voodoo , and channeling spirits in trance. Opening to spirits and their powers opens practionrs to the realm that God forbade in Deuteronomy when He cslled Divinstion and Sorcery by its' proper name. God hates lying spirits and them that practice divination.

July 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM Reply
  8. Kaye #

I've have been trying to find a Christian massage therapist that doesn't practice reiki.

July 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM Reply