Amy is Editor and Writer for Berean Research. She has been a broadcaster and freelance writer for over 25 years.

Manifesting: Which spirit?

ihopThis is a video posted by IHOP of one of its interns, a young girl named Katie, sharing her testimony about how the Spirit of God manifested in her, and continues to manifest to this day.

Watch and discern. What is she saying? What is her body language communicating? How would you test the spirits with someone like Katie and her friend?

Finally, the description for this video speaks for itself: “As a TM (transmeditation)  practioner & a Siddha I can concur with what’s happenning here to some of these people. There bodies have experienced a release of kundalini shakti & are to an extent spontanously practcing Hatha Yoga.”

PLEASE be careful about what you allow and believe. The spirit realm is very real, and it is infecting the Church and Body of Christ at an alarming rate in these last days.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Manifesting: Which spirit?”

1. Lorne Elliott #

She looks almost incapacitated and in pain at times. She never mentions sin, repentance or Christ as the only way to eternal life. Once she seemed to relax for a second to brush her hair out of her face.

January 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Reply
  2. Just my take, this looks like the Kundalini spirit. I'm posting a second video soon on this that shows how this same spirit manifests in the Eastern religions.

January 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Reply
  3. This is a continuation of our conversation on the FB page

Let's try an experiment :-) Let's take a youtube video… one that you say is questionable or you are uncertain of… Now let's try to be specific and determine (without undermining the people in the video) what manifestations or teachings you are uncomfortable with. Next, lets keep asking the question "Why?". Why am I uncomfortable with this… Then we can discuss those specific manifestations before labeling someone as false based on a manifestation. :-)

January 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM Reply
  4. Ingrid Hansen #

So in this case, the question begins with "Why am I uncomfortable with twitching or shaking?"

January 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM Reply
  5. These precious girls can barely stand up straight or speak clearly. So I have to ask myself as I watch them, "Would the Holy Spirit do this?" If we look in Scripture, we never see accounts of the apostles or other followers acting this way. In fact the only time we really see this kind of manifestation is in those who had demons that Jesus cast out (like the boy in Mark 9:17).

I don't see scriptural precedent for the manifestations going on with these girls. 1 Corinthians 12-14 describes the way in which God, the Holy Spirit will manifest Himself through the church, but losing control of your body is not one of them. But as the other videos in this article show, those who practice false religions do manifest in these ways.

January 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM Reply
  6. Ingrid Hansen #

Let's start with "Would the Holy Spirit do this"? Why do you think the Holy Spirit cannot do this?

As for your comments about no precedent? Why do you say that if there is no precedent for something in the Bible then it cannot be God? How you you then deal with this verse – “Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” (John 21:25, NIV84)

You speak about seeing shaking with demons. Agreed. But.. Why do you believe that if the false do something, the true cannot? How do you respond to Hannah in Scripture who appeared drunk?

Have you read my topic of how to discern? http://ingrid-hansen.info/wpdevotional/2012/01/14… because I walk through those questions.

But it seems the key response to my question of WHY is the question of losing control. I am guessing that this is what really disturbs you. So, let's go a bit deeper with the WHY :) Why does it bother you that perhaps God will not permit you to be in control?

January 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM Reply
  7. Prudence #

Ingrid are you going to listen to the broadcast tomorrow? With Johanna Michaelsen? I have read a book called The Light that was Dark by Warren Smith and A Time of Departing by Ray Yungen. I think they are along the same lines as Johanna Michaelsen. They are why I feel so strongly about these subjects. Not to put myself into you and Amy's conversation. But I would be curious what you think of the broadcast or one of these books if you read them. Your comments do have me thinking, although I still feel the same….but I am thinking how I react to people..

January 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM Reply
  8. Ingrid Hansen #

Prudence :-),

Considering this is a public forum, feel free to share and to also answer the WHY questions. In my own life, I have found that the question "WHY" asked often enough of ourselves and answered truthfully will eventually expose what it is that we truly believe about God. Asking the "why" question of myself while understanding that I love God's Word and want God alone has brought great change to my life over many years. :-)

God Bless you Prudence!

January 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM Reply
  9. Jenny Newhouse #

In dealing with manifestations, one thing that comes to mind is:
    Does it point to Jesus? If it does not point to Jesus and glorify Him, then what is it accomplishing? When I see someone hardly able to speak or stand while trying to deliver a message, I see this as bringing attention to themselves. I'm not trying to be critical…I don't believe that in most cases the people involved are doing anything intentionally to draw attention to themselves, but they are getting attention none the less.
    Secondly if something is questionable (other believers are uncomfortable), I personally would rather err on the side of caution. I feel that often times unknowingly we can give the enemy a foothold….so when I feel that "caution" flag go up in my spirit and just feel that something is wrong, I tend to run in the opposite direction and then I ask the Lord to show me if I have erred. Just my thoughts……

January 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Reply
  10. Ingrid Hansen #

@Jenny Your opinion is ok. :-) You do not need to pursue this. But if you condemn it, then it must be from Scripture which is why I am asking the why questions.

I agree with pointing to Jesus, but that you will not know until you ask the person who had the experience what happened in their life and watch if they are growing in the Lord. Did you read my link on how to discern? I walk through a series of questions I ask to understand if something is God or not.

You are welcome to yield to caution for your life, but that does not mean that those who have spiritual manifestations are not having them from God.

I believe that I should not condemn what I do not understand. We must seek to understand. We condemn what is clearly understood to be evil and embrace what is clearly understood to be good. We seek God for a clear understanding.

January 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM Reply
  11. Jenny Newhouse #

God is not the author of confusion and I believe as stated in James 1 that if we truly want to know something, God will reveal the answer to us.

Just as I need to not discount the spirit and the workings of the spirit (some gravitate in this direction), neither do I believe we should believe something we've experienced because it brought us feelings of joy and peace. Or because trusted teachers in our lives are promoting it.

My challenge for all of us is to truly get on our faces before God to ask Him to conform us to His image and give us wisdom. Proverbs is filled with passages speaking about wisdom and how we should seek it.

If anyone did not listen to Johanna's message today, please consider doing so.

January 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM Reply
  12. julie #

Have you ever noticed that when Jesus healed people and drove out demons that the healed were raised up? Jesus often took them by the hand and RAISED them up. By contrast, the demons would throw them down, throw them into the fire or cause them to fall. (Mark 2:11-12; Mark 5:6-20; Mark 9:17-27; John 5:6-9)

When Jesus healed people or brought them back to life, they were given back their humanity. Jesus Christ gave back to them their very lives. He treated them with dignity and kindness. When Jesus healed people, then they were clothed and in their right mind. Jesus lifted them up, restoring them both spiritually and physically. (Mark 5:41-42; Mark 5:15; Luke 7:14-15)

Whenever Jesus Christ healed folks, they were normal -no longer were they writhing on the ground, or frothing at the mouth, or twitching, or convulsing, incapacitated, or running wild. Instead they were sitting/standing up, normal, clothed and calm. (Mark 5:15; Mark 9:27)

The Apostle Peter also does this in Acts 3:1-10. He helps a man up when he heals him. The man is filled with joy, walking, jumping and praising God.

Compare all of this with what you see in the video. When Jesus brings His true spiritual manifestations they are accompanied by life, health, normalcy and dignity for people. Do not be deceived.

March 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM Reply
  13. What does the Word teach us concerning this subject; that should be what you guys are asking but I don't see that from any of you actually did that here. Jenny came close but where's the scripture?

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 1 John 4-2 & 3

Discernment of the Spirit is a gift of the Spirit and there is no lessons to learn on how to discern the spirit.

I do think you all need to be careful of what you "discern" about anyone. You also can be in danger of calling that which is of God, of Satan which is what the Scribes and Pharasees accused of Jesus of being.

The Holy Spirit judges all things, but we should leave it up to the Holy Spirit and just because something is unfamiliar with you doesn't mean it isn't from God.

As someone who came from a Pentecostal background, I know a lot of people who would call the manifestation of the Holy Spirit through the nine Spiritual gifts to be of the Devil. I'm here to say that the Pentecostal doctrine is scriptural in every sense as Paul talked about the gifts of the Spirit in detail.

July 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM Reply
  14. SL #

Maybe it would be constructive to think of Katie's 'manifestations' as a human response to the working of the Holy Spirit in her. Such unusual expressions accompanied many great revivals in history. Is it the Holy Spirit? Not strictly. What we see is a young woman who is reacting physically, emotionally, and spiritually to the revelation of the reality of God, which comports with what she's saying. It's the Holy Spirit at work in a human vessel. More Christians should have such revelations.

If you listen to her talk, she describes her experience with God, her response to being asked to speak to her church (a rather significant event in the life of a young person, or anyone for that matter), and her realizing that God is jealous for us, that He desires uncompromising love from us, and so on. What's unscriptural about this? Do we demand that she say the words "sin" and "Jesus" and "the cross" at least once in every sentence for her description of her experience to pass muster in our eyes? Concerning false prophets, Jesus said, "You shall know them by their fruits." The fruit I perceived in the video, according to what she said, was that of a changed life. I pray God continues to work in her life and that she has great success in Him.

Some of this "truth-finding", which in some instances focuses on gnats while swallowing camels, puts me in mind of Jesus' words to the church at Ephesus in Revelations 2:1-4 – zealously ferreting out error while losing sight of love for God. The Pharisees also had this problem. Love for God is not a cold, calculated, emotionless exercise that some Christians would have us believe and that many churches demonstrate. Love for God engages our souls – which includes our emotions – and our bodies, our minds, and all our strength. So if you see someone acting a little 'soulish' in their expression of love for and awe of God, give them a break. Heartfelt love, especially combined with revelation of God, can cause people to be passionate and do unusual things. Just look at Jesus.

January 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM Reply
  15. Nellie #

I see how easy it is for people to misinterpret the “manifestations” of the Holy Spirit, which are strictly listed in 1 Corinthians 12 and the fruits in Galatians 5. But what is not mentioned is the communion of the Holy Spirit, I believe 2 Corinthians 13:14 or 15. Communion is fellowship, intimacy, social intercourse, partnership. These movements are not a sign of communion of the Holy Ghost.

We are to be IN AGREEMENT, and nowhere in Scripture does it mention about the Holy Spirit taking over bodily movements. If it was so, I believe Paul, Stephen, and other men in the N.T. would have spoke of this “experience.”

If the Word does not speak of these manifestations, then it cannot be agreeable from the Holy Spirit.

And a person’s own devotional is not a final word of authority on this. The Word is.

March 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM Reply
  16. Teambuilder #

A few years ago I was involved in a group that displayed these manifestations, born out of the 'Toronto movement'. It happened to coincide with a time when God was doing a lot with me leading to my salvation. I don't believe I was saved at that time as I didn't know about repentance. I did that very same shaking. It felt really good but as time went on it didn't sit right. The leaders of the group called the Holy Spirit 'it' and also the fruit wasn't there. They are known by their fruit There wasn't a lot of discernment in the fellowship I also attended. I reached a stage where I said to God, if this is not from You, I want it to stop. I believe Scripture is very clear that this is not of God. He is not a God to be mocked and there is NO confusion about Him. This doesn't line up in any way with Scripture. Some people will say about Hannah appearing drunk to justify it but Hannah was just talking to God with no sound and her lips were moving.That is a very different thing. We are told numerous times in the New Testament that there will be deception and they will look like us but they will be known by their fruit.

March 18, 2014 at 2:37 AM Reply
  17. Mathew 7…21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS."
    These verses come to mind as I listened to what she was saying…

March 18, 2014 at 9:56 AM Reply
  18. Ian #

Michelle, the things you describe are not Biblical and have no place in Christianity. You will not find shaking in the Bible, and why is it necessary to imagine something when praying? This technique sounds like a new age or even occult practice. We are specifically told not to go beyond what is written (1 Cor 4:6). I don't believe that there is prophecy today, and the fact it hasn't come true suggests it is not from God.

What you don't say is the degree to which the church endorses these things, but given that you say the people involved are "pillars in the church", I suspect it does to some extent. My experience is that churches which promote such things will have many other big problems, and you should seriously consider finding a new church. Otherwise you are very likely to be exposed to all manner of false teaching.

I'm getting a message saying my comment is too long, so I will split it into two.

March 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM Reply
  19. Ian #

(part 2)

It can be very difficult to raise things like this with church leaders. if you felt brave, you could arrange a meeting with your pastor and discuss what's happening in the prayer group with him. He may be unaware of it, and how he responds will give you an idea of where he is. If he says it's not right, that's a good thing. If he says it's OK, I would advise you to leave the church. If he's unsure or ambivalent, be very careful as he is open to error.

A less direct approach is to tell your pastor that you're looking to grow in your faith and ask if he can recommend some helpful books, maybe what he is reading presently, or that set out his vision for the church. This is a good way of finding out what his influences are. If you told us what they are, we could give you some comments. You could also ask if there are any conferences, TV shows, or websites he would recommend.

I sensed a real concern for the things of God in your post, which is excellent. I pray that the Lord will give you his wisdom and guidance as you decide what to do.

March 20, 2014 at 8:26 AM Reply