Christians who witness to people all over the world want to bring the Truth of God’s Word to those who do not know Him. We know that Christians are being persecuted in the Middle East, and we know–but perhaps don’t fully understand–the true cost of following Christ and leaving other religions such as Islam.
As things heat up in the Middle East, there is another controversy brewing here at home.
As we’ve reported these past few weeks, a petition to protest and draw attention to the Bible translators Wycliffe has highlighted the challenges Western missionaries face. The petition was brought forth by Biblical Missiology because Wycliffe and its partners allegedly are removing familial terms to describe God and Jesus from their translation of the Bible in order to appease Muslim communities. Examples pointed out by them include replacing “Son of God” with “Messiah of God” and “God the Father” with words like “guardian.”
We are 100% Listener supported. Donate now!
“Western missions agencies Wycliffe, Frontiers and SIL are producing Bibles that remove Father, Son and Son of God because these terms are offensive to Muslims,” reads Bible Missiology’s online petition. it is a charge Wycliffe this week vehemently denies.
Russ Hersman, senior vice president of Wycliffe Bible Translators USA, told The Christian Post that many of the works that critics like the organization Bible Missiology have pointed to have either done no such thing or have already been pulled from circulation, and that any problematic texts are no longer being distributed. But thanks to the Internet, missionaries from places like Pakistan and Iran are weighing in to say that those problematic texts are still very much in circulation.
Joining us on our show today is someone from Biblical Missiology, Elijah Abraham. Elijah is a former Muslim and now a born again Christian, and is here to respond to the denial by Wycliffe. Biblical Missiology’s petition is online at Lost In Translation: Sign the Petition. Check out Elijah’s news articles at Right On Weekly, an online magazine.
Need more information on the latest developments?
- Update: Wycliffe Changes their Statement on Bible Translations for Muslims (christianresearchnetwork.com)
- Wycliffe/SIL to halt Muslim idiom translations until issue of removal of “Father” and “Son” can be further examined (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- ‘Father’ and ‘Son’ Ousted from the Trinity in New Bible Translations by Wycliffe and 2 Other Groups (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- Lost In Translation: Sign the Petition (biblicalmissiology.org)
- The “uncompromising” truth of Jesus as Son? (standupforthetruth.com)
- Lost In Translation: Keep “Father” & “Son” in the Bible (standupforthetruth.com)
- Fact Check: Biblical Missiology’s Response To Wycliffe’s Comments On “Lost In Translation” (biblicalmissiology.org)