Amy is co-host and blogger for both Stand Up for the Truth and Naomi's Table, two ministries that give her the opportunity to write and talk about Jesus all day long. She has written, produced and broadcast in the realm of television and radio news, magazine business journals and marketing materials. She continues her freelance work as a writer and social media consultant.

Are Mormons Christian?

Salt Lake Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA....

Salt Lake Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I’d end this article here, because that is your answer, should anyone ever ask you. And with the presidential election on the horizon, it is more than likely that Mormonism and Christianity might come up in conversation.

Already the high-profile Christian leaders are being asked about it. Saddleback Church’s Rick Warren sort of answered it by saying that Mormons don’t believe in a trinity as we do, calling it a “sticking point.”  And Christian apologist Ed Stetzer completely muffed it recently by asking the question and then dancing completely around it without giving the answer we all so desperately need to hear.

The Truth.

The Truth has become increasingly muddy for Christendom because  many evangelicals and almost ALL Mormons believe that Mormons must be  Christian, because they say they believe in and love Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

But the real truth is that Mormonism preaches a different “jesus;” a different “gospel” and a different “truth.” So the answer we need to hear is that Mormonism and biblical Christianity cannot be squared; they are completely different faiths.

If that sounds mean-spirited, it is not. It is a neutral, biblically-based, factual statement. But mean-spirited is most assuredly how this Truth will be portrayed in the months ahead in the national conversation.

This Truth will divide. and if you believe it, then you will be accused of judging other people’s hearts. You will be in excellent company.  Look at the approach the Apostle Paul took when he wrote to the early Church in Galations 1:6-9

Only One Gospel

I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.  As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

When you put a face on Mormonism or any other faith, whether it’s a presidential candidate, a news talk show pundit or that nice, intelligent, funny, lovely person you work with or live near, it is hard to think of these people as accursed. Yet isn’t that what we all are, young and old, apart from the genuine, biblical Jesus?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Are Mormons Christian?”

1. I want to not have m #

I grew up in Utah and it was hard to not have Mormonism effect our lives. Most of my family are Mormons. I did not go to any church growing up and if I did it was only to be the Mormon church. I was looked down on because I would not go and even was told that I was not even born because I was not baptized into the church, this was told to me just after my father passed away. I was only eight years old. I have been told many things from the people that attended the church but have found out later to be lies. I truly believe growing up there and seeing how the people are taught, they are continuously told lies. I pray often for my family and friends that live there for the Truth to get to them before it is to late. The Book of Mormon distorts the Bible and takes away what God wants for them. Please continue to pray for those that just have been taught wrong all of their lives. Thank you.

April 17, 2012 at 6:00 AM Reply
  2. Thanks for sharing, and reminding us that those who are believing in anything other than the biblical Jesus are in desperate need of Him, and we must proclaim His truth in love–without condemning people.

April 17, 2012 at 6:22 AM Reply
    • christan believer #

we all fall short of the glory of god and therefore none of us stand perfect. it is not our job to "cast the first stone" to those that make a bad choice. the people in the Mormon church are not perfect thats why we go to church to be perfected in our lord our Jesus Christ. the book of mormon states "we talk of christ and we rejoice in Christ.. that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of there sins"(2nephi25:26) so it sounds like your family rooted you in the greatest knowledge you can have and that is in Christ your reedemer.

July 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM Reply
  3. ferv888 #

So where is the rest of the story about the Trinity? We believe in God our Father, we believe in Jesus Christ, and we believe the Holy Ghost is the Comforter. What we do not believe is that God is a Spirit who came down in the flesh as Christ and then returned to the Spirit as God. We beleive in the Trinity as 3 in one Purpose, not 3 in One God.

You should look at survey after survey of Catholics and Protastants of the many dominations and you find that most believe as we do, not 3/1 God, but 3/1 purpose. My own family, who are not LDS, but Catholics and Baptists, had an intervention with me one night. The results, well we believe what you do about the 3/1 purpose. How did Christ rise from the dead to sit at the "right hand" of the Father, if one and the same.

The Creed which stated, the tradiitonal view of the Trinity, was from men who decided that God was a Spirit and that the Trinity was one God. Now I ask, if you believe that which men decided, would you leave us alone if I believe one man, Joseph Smith, said he saw God the Father and Jesus Christ and they were separate beings.

April 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM Reply
  4. SinnerSavedbyGrace #

ferv,
    Surveys are irrelevant, what man thinks or understands is irrelevant, what religions say are irrelevant. The 1611 KJV Holy Bible is plain regarding what the Trinity is. John 10:30 is clear, "I and my Father are one." It says ARE one not AS one or "one in purpose". Just because it's hard to understand does not make it untrue. I encourage you to study the Holy Bible without the Mormon documentation guiding you. Read and learn for yourself who Jesus Christ of the Bible really is.

April 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM Reply
    • ferv888 #

Dear SinnerSavedbyGrace.

WE are one, are you and your wife or husband ONE?

In the year A.D. 325 the Roman emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicaea to address—among other things—the growing issue of God’s alleged “trinity in unity.” What emerged from the heated contentions of churchmen, philosophers, and ecclesiastical dignitaries came to be known (after another 125 years and three more major councils) 4 as the Nicene Creed, with later reformulations such as the Athanasian Creed. These various evolutions and iterations of creeds—and others to come over the centuries—declared the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost to be abstract, absolute, transcendent, immanent, consubstantial, coeternal, and unknowable, without body, parts, or passions and dwelling outside space and time. In such creeds all three members are separate persons, but they are a single being, the oft-noted “mystery of the trinity.” They are three distinct persons, yet not three Gods but one. All three persons are incomprehensible, yet it is one God who is incomprehensible.

John 17:3, John 12:27–30; John 14:26; Romans 8:34; Hebrews 1:1–3. John 5:19; John 14:10.John 6:38.John 15:24.Matthew 19:17.John 14:28 Matthew 26:39 Matthew 27:46 Philippians 2:5–6.

Remember that when Christ was baptised by John the Baptist, it said the dove, the Holy Ghost descended from above and a voice was heard, "this is my Son in whom I am well pleased." Who was that?

Look I believe what I believe from the Scriptures from above which are King James verses, not from the Book of Mormon. I am a convert to the Church and had trouble all my life with the Trinityh as taught by the traditional church.

You may say surveys do not matter, and I agree you can get whatever you want it to say, however when asked what people believe and it comes out that they believe the 3/1 purpose vs. that they are all God, that should be troubling to those who teach it.

FERV888

April 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM Reply
    • Mavin10 #

John 17:20-22
      How are we to be one?

April 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM Reply
  5. AJ #

Aside from the Trinity, there are some key differences between LDS doctrine and 'traditional' Biblical doctrine.

The Bible teaches that Jesus is the Son of God, but also that he is the only begotten son (and eternally part of the Trinity). LDS doctrine essentially teaches that *all* people are children of God (spirit-children who eventually receive a body and then live on earth) and are basically brothers and sisters (of each other and of Jesus) since they were begotten of God and His wives.
    LDS doctrine also states that "we can become as God", even becoming gods ourselves, and that God the Father Himself was once a man who attained godhood.

April 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Reply
    • ferv888 #

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." King James Bible …Jerimiah 1:5

Sounds to me like Heavenly Father had something to do with us being Spriit children

FERV888

April 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM Reply
  6. Will #

The Bible itself testifies to all three being God read : In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word WAS God. John 1:1 . This verse is distinguishing the Word from God , but then within the same verse says that the Word is God. Then look at Phillipians 2 : 5-6 : Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, BEING IN FORM GOD , thought it not robbery to be equal with God : Another Biblical example that tells you Jesus was God , but here is perhaps the best one and this one made the Pharisees want to kill him for Blasphemy : Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8 : 58 and we know that I am is a name of God : And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. Exodus 3 : 14 . As far as not believing that God is a Spirit than you are calling Jesus a liar : God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. John 4 : 24

April 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM Reply
  7. ferv888 #

I am really struggling to see where I have Christ a liar. We too believe that Christ is the God of this world and do not have an argument with that. But,I have said no such thing, I have not in any way inferred that Christ is a liar, you may think that God is a Spirit and you like me are entitled to believe what you believe.

I just wish that those who believe what you do would look at the other scriptures that are KJV's and think these things through. Who was Christ praying to when in Gethsemene? Who's right hand is He sitting at? Who was it that said, "this is My Son in Whom I am well pleased, when baptised? Your scriptures top my scriptures???? No,I continue to study the scriptures and try to discern what they mean to me and how to implement the things the Lord would have me to do.

FERV888

April 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM Reply
  8. Excal #

If the Mormon Jesus is different than Jesus of Nazareth, then he would not have taught the same things that Jesus of Nazareth taught. However, he did teach the same things that Jesus taught.

To see for yourselves, read this book of thirty short chapters: here.

April 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM Reply
    • Mormon doctrine and biblical doctrine about Jesus do not square with each other.

April 19, 2012 at 4:15 AM Reply
      • ferv888 #

Read the 30 chapters Amy to see if your statement holds up.

FERV888

April 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM Reply
        • Here is a side-by-side comparison of the Mormon doctrine with biblical doctrine Christianity holds to. http://standupforthetruth.com/hot-topics/mormonis

As you can see, these are two very different belief systems.

April 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM Reply
          • Mavin10 #

For a web site called "standup for the truth" I have never seen so many lies in one place! Mormons believe the Bible so when you quote the Bible to prove what Mormons do not believe, it is a lie for Mormons believe the Bible.

April 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM
  9. FERV888 #

Amy, I agree, there are differences, and that is why 41 years ago I chose to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Thanks for the discussion.

April 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM Reply
    • FERV, just curious. What was it about Christianity that made you leave it?

April 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Reply
  10. ferv888 #

Won't bite Amy, I never left it, I found a more full form of Christianity, somethjing that I believed to be more full than what I had believe from before.

I grew up in a family that my 1/2 brothers and sisters were being raised Catholic and I used to talk with my brother oldes to me and we talked about infant baptism and Purgatory and the like. There were always questions for me about what happened to those who passed before they kneiw the Lord. What would I be punished for Adam's transgressions for? How could I ever get passed the fact that I for one minute did not believe that God the Father and God the Son were one and the same. In word and deed, yes, not God took a body, became Christ, and then went back to being God.

No Amy, I never left Christianity, I discovered a fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

FERV888

April 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM Reply
  11. Scott #

Catholic, mormon, They are all made by man with rules put in place by man and made for men to never be free. it in simple as this , Thessalonians 5:17 pray without ceasing; non of you could do this, only a Christian would be able to do this for we are told to pray an any way , and an any position. The bible is not a trick book full of riddles, its written for sheep like me and you.

July 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM Reply
  12. christan believer #

we all fall short of the glory of god and therefore none of us stand perfect. it is not our job to “cast the first stone” to those that make a bad choice. the people in the Mormon church are not perfect thats why we go to church to be perfected in our lord our Jesus Christ. the book of mormon states “we talk of christ and we rejoice in Christ.. that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of there sins”(2nephi25:26) so it sounds like your family rooted you in the greatest knowledge you can have and that is in Christ your reedemer.

July 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM Reply