Amy Spreeman is founder and co-blogger at Berean Research and also a contributing blogger at Pirate Christian Radio’s Berean Examiner blog. She has been a broadcaster and freelance writer for 25 years. Connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.

"Signs and Wonders" training camp for kids

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 9.15.43 AMAs we’ve covered the dangerous aspects of the Signs and Wonders Movement, we’ve wondered what the effect of this experiential spirituality has on young people. This article over on God Discussion is about a summer camp run by IHOP (International House of Prayer), that trains 6-12 year olds in the art of performing signs and wonders. Thoughts?

6-12 year olds to be trained to perform ‘signs and wonders’

The International House of Prayer (IHOP-Kansas) is gearing up for its first “Signs and Wonders” camp for the 2012 season. There, 6-12 year old kids are trained “to heal the sick, reach the lost, prophesy, and pray for other children, to see Jesus exalted in their schools, homes, and neighborhoods.”

People from the local area are invited to come to the camp and get healed by the children attending.

IHOP-Kansas’ goal is “to see one million children radically committed to Jesus, walking in the power of the Holy Spirit, and moving in signs and wonders.”

Associated with the New Apostolic Reformation, IHOP-Kansas was founded by Mike Bickle, one of the prayer leaders at TX Gov. Rick Perry’s “The Response” prayer rally in Houston last August.  It is also linked with 7 mountains Christian dominionism, a form of theology that teaches that Christians must dominate seven “mountains” of culture — education, arts and entertainment, media, religion, government, family and business — in order to create a Christian kingdom for Christ to return to and rule.  Performing “signs and wonders” is something that the New Apostolic Reformation adherents believe that they are commissioned to do in the “end times” in order to convert people to their brand of Christianity.  These “signs and wonders” include raising the dead.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “"Signs and Wonders" training camp for kids”

1. MaggieA #

I can almost see the glazed look in Sherry's eyes as she speaks of her experiences. When someone is practicing contemplative spirituality, aka soaking, biblical discernment goes out the window. It is so typical to dismiss concerns about the roots and fruits of these teachings and practices, as judged by the Bible, by making a sweeping statement like it is a "Pharisee mindset" to question. Once experiences trump the Bible, then the Bible just becomes a prop for taking passages out of context to support these experiences. Sadly, the visible church is inebriated with these practices.

January 2, 2016 at 12:38 PM
  2. Sherry #

I wonder…have you ever sat or laid on your floor or bed and talked to Papa? Have you ever asked the Holy Spirit to come and fill the room. Have you ever "known" Yeshua ( Jesus ) as your bride groom King?
    I am not in any way endorsing a movement. But, I do know that my personal relationship with my Papa ( Abba ) and the healing and revelation that I have experienced is not from false spirits. I have had dreams and visions in the night season, I have had an encounter / visitation of angels while I was driving and the glory of God was so thick I could hardly drive. I wonder, about Daniel, David, Ezekiel, Joel, John, Abraham, Mary and so many others who had "supernatural encounters" ?? I dont know much about the teachings you speak of, but i do know this, these signs will follow those that are His. Blind eyes, will be open, the deaf will hear, the dumb will speak, the dead will be raised. Yeshua ( Jesus) healed all that came to Him and those oppressed became free. His instructions to His disciples were to do the same. We are Spirit beings having a human experience, the bible states that the things we don't see are more real that what we do see. The things of the kingdom are spiritual. We should be teaching our children to walk in the spirit and use the gifts the father gave them. If someone doesn't step up to the plate they will get sucked into witchcraft and the things of the darkness. I think we have to be healthy and balanced in our thinking and judgement of things. There will be those that mess up, make mistakes. But does that mean we throw everything out . We definitely need to be fruit inspectors and use our spiritual discernment. In addition, we need to be rid of religion and the the Pharisee mind set.

December 31, 2015 at 1:46 PM
  3. Christy #

Those are all great kids that love Jesus…..no complaints here

December 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM
  4. That's quite ingenious!

October 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM
  5. Amy, I thought you might find this additional info helpful:

I'm guessing IHOP's training camp is getting their methods from this book about teaching children to perform signs and wonders; some pages are readable online: http://www.amazon.com/Redefining-Childrens-Minist

The author of this book, "Redefining Children's Ministry…" is Becky Fischer. It seems she is a pioneer – if not the pioneer – in children's supernatural ministry: http://jesuscampmystory.com/bios/

And here is a list of 30 videos made available by Becky Fischer's "Kids in Ministry International": http://www.youtube.com/user/kidsinministry?featur

The people who are endorsing soaking prayer (with its demonic manifestations of dreams, visions, "angelic visitations", "third heaven visitations", etc.) are the same people who are endorsing children moving in the supernatural.

Seems to me these children are being given the false Kundalini spirit. To me it seems THIS IS THE CORE of the dangers in this movement. It is a movement of false spirits, I believe, not the Holy Spirit:

"in our research we have been able to show the strong connection between Kundalini and what is called Soaking Prayer (which is promoted by Kids in Ministry International). Source: a great discernment article by Cephas Ministries – http://www.cephas-library.com/dominion_theology_j

June 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Should we allow others to teach our kids is the first question?

If God says, see you as parents have dumb parent brains so that you cannot understand my word or have any hope teaching your own children therefore I have raised up teachers among the people to reach your kids. Then I think the Lord would be absolving you of the responsibility of doing the instruction in your own home.

I looked all over scripture for direction on this matter and I never found anything even remotely like I have written above instead I find this:

Deuteronomy 6
    4 Hear , O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down , and when thou risest up . 8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. 9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you; 15 (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth. 16 Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah. 17 Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.

Deuteronomy 11
    18 Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. 19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up . 20 And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates: 21 That your days may be multiplied , and the days of your children, in the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers to give them, as the days of heaven upon the earth. 22 For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;

Proverbs 1
    7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. 8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: 9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck. 10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

Proverbs 4
    1 Hear , ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding. 2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law. 3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. 4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live . 5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. 8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour , when thou dost embrace her. 9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life. 14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. 16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief ; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall. 17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence. 18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day. 19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

And we actually wonder why our kids are going astray, I guess we are pretty thick that we don't see it is because of our walk with the Lord is dead that they don't want anything to do with it. This by the way is also why we want nothing to do with this task. We don't walk in the Spirit because we don't have the Spirit.

This stuff should be driving us to our needs asking God to forgive us to change our hearts on this matter to bring it into conformity with His word. Not for our sakes or our kids sake but for His name sake. That God our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who died for our sins would be glorified in us as He works in us by the Holy Spirit to pursue Him.

Oh God be praised.