Pastor Rick Warren: Please keep tweeting!

There is no joy in sharing yet another Rick Warren tweet today. In fact it makes me very sad.  But for the sake of helping you understand just how corrupt the Church in America has become, please consider today’s tweet of importance and concern.

For some time now, we’ve been warning about the Secular Humanism creeping into the Church and corrupting biblical truth. Humanism sees sin at the edge or periphery of human life. It considers human beings to be basically good. Now it appears that Rick Warren, America’s Pastor, whose tweets are read and shared by thousands of his followers, may be embracing this idea:

This tweet seems to be saying he disagrees with God about our depravity without a savior. He quoted this Scripture:  “But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people.” (ESV), but appears to shame those who would believe that God’s Word is truth.  Throughout the Bible, we are told that indeed our sin is filth before a holy and righteous God. The Bible says that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).  Biblical Christianity teaches that sin permeates the core of our life.

Consider the words of R.C. Sproul:

Despite this verdict on human shortcomings, the idea persists in our humanistically dominated culture that sin is something peripheral or tangential to our nature. Indeed, we are flawed by sin. Our moral records exhibit blemishes. But somehow we think that our evil deeds reside at the rim or edge of our character and never penetrate to the core. Basically, it is assumed, people are inherently good.

The Bible teaches the total depravity of the human race. Total depravity means radical corruption. We must be careful to note the difference between total depravity and “utter” depravity. To be utterly depraved is to be as wicked as one could possibly be. Hitler was extremely depraved, but he could have been worse than he was. I am sinner. Yet I could sin more often and more severely than I actually do. I am not utterly depraved, but I am totally depraved. For total depravity means that I and everyone else are depraved or corrupt in the totality of our being. There is no part of us that is left untouched by sin. Our minds, our wills, and our bodies are affected by evil. We speak sinful words, do sinful deeds, have impure thoughts. Our very bodies suffer from the ravages of sin.

We are “dead in trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1); we are “sold under sin” (Romans 7:14); we are in “captivity to the law of sin” (Romans 7:23); and “by nature children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). Only by the quickening power of the Holy Spirit may we be brought out of this state of spiritual death. It is God who makes us alive as we become His craftsmanship (Ephesians 2:1-10).

A couple days ago, Rick Warren tweeted that we shouldn’t try to look for the cross in every verse of the Bible. Does he not know that today’s verse in Psalms points to the cross?  The irony.  I’m glad Pastor Warren is laying his cards on the table and taking a clear and firm stand. Will his followers finally wake up?

Here are more passages for reflection:
Jeremiah 17:9
Romans 8:1-11
Ephesians 2:1-3
Ephesians 4:17-19
1 John 1:8-10

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Pastor Rick Warren: Please keep tweeting!”

1. IAMone2 #

Rick Warren is definitely serving mammon.
    His words are not of the Holy Spirit and he has become
    lukewarm as Revelation says, the 7th church age of Laodecia
    Jesus will vomit out of His mouth because they are neither cold or hot.
    The last church age the seventh will not follow the Holy Spirit with the Fathers spiritual guidance,instead they will follow a carnal mortal mind that in itself is doomed.
    The secular humanism new wave of thinking is satanic and worldly and are based on humans every deep desire of lust,greed and slothfulness.
    Read Revelation ,hear what the Spirit is saying.
    Peace be unto you
    Amen

June 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM Reply
  2. Kristy #

His tweet & the scripture accompanying it don't even seem to go together. Even more so, it doesn't seem like he even read the entire passage.

June 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM Reply
  3. WOW! I did not see this until just now. Thanks for pointing out this problem.

June 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Reply
  4. Mike LeMay #

I agree with Warren that self-pity has no place in the life of aChristian. I just scratch my head on why he chose to use this verse, which is a prophecy on the crucifixion and mocking of Jesus. Did Warren misunderstand the verses thinking David was suffering from self-pity. If I were Warren's "handlers" I would get him off Twitter.

June 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM Reply
  5. Mike LeMay #

Think about this tweet combined with his last one chastising people for looking for the cross in every verse. Apparantly Warren is following his own advice, and not seeing the cross in Psalm 22. More is the pity.

I think the big picture here is Warren is a social justice aChristian just like Wallis. mcLaren, etc., seeking the ways of man over God's sovereign plan. His PEACE Plan is all about a social justice agenda, abandoning evangelism and discipleship in favor of saving mankind and the planet. How long will it be until the pastors who adore Warren will wake up and follow God, not Rick Warren.

June 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM Reply
  6. If this Tweet (combined with his last Tweet) does not convince the Church that Rick Warren should be disqualified from ministry, I don't what it would take. Rick Warren displays his complete ignorance of the meaning this passage. So will Rick Warren collaborator and slanderer of the brethren, now finally come out and publicly mark and expose Rick Warren, for this last tweet is the antithesis of Reformed Theology. If he does not, we will know he was not of us!

June 17, 2012 at 3:02 AM Reply
  7. I am referring to John Piper in my last post!

June 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM Reply

When it says in the scriptures they will deceive and be deceived, this is the natural manifestation of that.

2 Peter 3

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Unlearned here doesn't mean he didn't go to school, he did and thats the problem, he is a humanist in his thinking and education fostered that. Humanist have no room for Christ or the Cross for it is by our own efforts we are saved.

I truely do hope and pray the Lord open his eyes to this.

May this portion of scripture take root.

Psalm 119

127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold. 128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right ; and I hate every false way. 129 PE. Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them. 130 The entrance of thy words giveth light ; it giveth understanding unto the simple. 131 I opened my mouth, and panted : for I longed for thy commandments. 132 Look thou upon me, and be merciful unto me, as thou usest to do unto those that love thy name. 133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me. 134 Deliver me from the oppression of man: so will I keep thy precepts.

June 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM Reply

Armenianisms root is humanism.

June 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM Reply

Lest I forget, I pray this too would sink into Rick's heart and of all those who have put their trust in him

Psalm 119
    118 Thou hast trodden down all them that err from thy statutes: for their deceit is falsehood. 119 Thou puttest away all the wicked of the earth like dross: therefore I love thy testimonies. 120 My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; and I am afraid of thy judgments.

May we all lest we all fall into error seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. And love the Lord our God with all our heart all our soul all our mind and all our strength. And love our neighbor as ourselves even before ourselves so we no longer live for ourselves but rather for each other.

June 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM Reply
  11. Hargis #

My decernment always raised a red flag with Rick Warren. When the masses lift someone to the level of God there is something wrong.

June 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM Reply
  12. Joy #

Let's do what any practical Christian should be compelled to do…pray for Rick Warren. He is a human being like all of us. I have known many men who taught falsely, but were not false teachers. There is a huge difference. Possibly he has fallen into error and needs our prayers.
    Everyone is so quick to rush in and criticize or condemn. God please forgive us all!

July 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM Reply