Is anyone really a “fence sitter” when it comes to two very diametrically opposed world views? The difference in ideology could not be made more clear. (Never mind that Obama stated last election that marriage was between one man and woman. Oh wait, his views evolved. And now the entire party is lockstep on gay marriage coming into the 2012 election.
Here is how Bloomberg Business News reports the story dated August 11:
Democrats unanimously voted today to endorse same-sex marriage in their party’s platform, the first time a major political party has supported the issue in its statement of policies.
Today’s action at the platform committee meeting in Detroit sends the document for ratification by delegates to next month’s Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. President Barack Obama, a Democrat, said in May that he supports same-sex marriage. Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney doesn’t.
A drafting committee included the same-sex marriage provision in the platform last month. Platform committee members raised no objections.
“The 14th Amendment is very clear — equal protection under the law,” said the platform committee co-chairman, Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark, New Jersey. “We as a party have really embraced the president’s ideas.”
While calling the action “very significant,” Booker told reporters after the committee meeting that the top issue in the presidential campaign would be the economy, not same-sex marriage.
“It may repel some, it may attract others,” he said. “This campaign is not going to turn on gay marriage.”
- It’s Official! Democratic Party Backs Same-Sex Marriage for 2012 Platform (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- OBAMA’S GAY MARRIAGE VIEWS ‘EVOLVE’ BASED ON TIME, AUDIENCE, MONEY (Breitbart)
- Dems move to back ‘gay marriage’ (onenewsnow.com)
- Dems say ‘I do’ to same-sex marriage (onenewsnow.com)
- -Democratic Party Endorses Same-Sex Marriage (answersforthefaith.com)
- Joint College of African American Pentecostal Bishops Rejects Same-Sex Marriage & Homosexual Ordination
- As Obama OKs Homosexual Marriage, Christian Leaders Partly to Blame
- Obama endorses ‘gay marriage’
- North Carolina votes for biblical marriage