Amy is co-host and blogger for both Stand Up for the Truth and Naomi's Table, two ministries that give her the opportunity to write and talk about Jesus all day long. She has written, produced and broadcast in the realm of television and radio news, magazine business journals and marketing materials. She continues her freelance work as a writer and social media consultant.

Granger removes "church" from its name

We’ve seen churches remove their denominational labels and even their crosses from their buildings before in order to attract new visitors, but removing the “church” label entirely is something new.  Making a fundamental shift in “how we do church,” the  mega-complex formerly known as Granger Community Church has announced it is dropping “church” from its name.  It’s part of the church’s, er, organization’s new project called The New Normal Project.

The organization’s leaders say that a building, after all, is not the Church, but people are. The leaders announced at its ReInnovate Conference that the new facility will now be known as Granger Commons. Leaders say the decision comes as a result of a vision and strategy to be more missional, and to help their people see their building as merely a “tool” for ministry rather than being the actual “church” itself.

Here is a Granger pastor explaining the change:

I noticed something very interesting in the above video as well as that New Normal Project link. Yes, the social media and marketing campaign is slick. But there is something missing.

The name of Jesus Christ.

Nowhere is He even mentioned. The omission of the Name above all Names leaves a huge, gaping hole.  No Gospel, no redemption, no hope.

Is it possible that I am spitting hairs over something that is not a big deal? Let me know. Maybe I’m crazy, but I thought Jesus regarded His Church as somewhat important.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Granger removes "church" from its name”

1. Jason #

SMH. These are the same people who brought us the I-Chair video. BTW, if no one has paid any attention, Mark Beeson is the brother-in-law of ultra-liberal Joel Hunter of Northland, A Church Distributed in the Orlando, FL area.

September 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM Reply
    • eleanor #

IT IS CALLED THE LAST DAY APOSTASY JESUS SAID IF YOU DENY ME BEFORE MEN I WILL DENY YOU BEFORE MY FATHER IN HEAVEN. NO EXCUSES. PRAY THAT THE HUNGRY
      WILL LEAVE FOR A TRUE FELLOWSHIP, AND JUST LET THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD

September 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM Reply
  2. Deb #

Well, I did hear the guy say once something about Jesus' mission. Please correct me if I am wrong because I am a realtively new christian, but I don't recall reading or hearing any sermons regarding Jesus having an eatery, etc. I wonder if they will eventually have a little shopping mall? Sheesh! Talk about emergent seeker friendly "church" (oh, sorry, I guess the word "church" is not okay anymore in relation to buildings). God help us all!

September 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM Reply
  3. Christine #

I don't believe that your concern is unnecessary at all! In fact, judging from past experience re: Emergent church, etc., you know it's going to go downhill after that don't you?…it'll get more and more liberal until anything remotely Christian is rid off completely – just give it another say 10 years…no no 5, or maybe 2…or less. What a shame, but, not surprising.

September 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM Reply
  4. Dilution of quality and deterioration of great works begins just like this,sort of innocently,the next thing you hear THE Name Jesus is no longer necessary or hell is a negative and should not be mentioned or something

September 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM Reply
  5. Dewey Adams #

He said "Jesus" and specifically that the "church" (the people) were going to use the building and facilities to serve the community and love their neighbors as He commanded.

As someone who attended a "mega church" when I lived in Columbia, SC I can attest that they are not much different than any other church. Some are sound Bible teaching churches and some are more life affirmation centers. Honestly, I think its more up to the people attending the church to keep the church accountable and to follow God's way. I left the "large" city of Columbia for a much smaller town 5 years ago and it wasn't until I ended up in a smaller church that needed each member to actively serve that I noticed how I had treated my church in Columbia like a country club. That is reflective of me and a sin that I allowed into my life not any indication on the church.There is but one Christ, but Paul wrote that he "made himself all things to all people" as indicative of the way you must reach people for Christ. The message must always be the same: "Love God, Love others." the ways in which that manifests itself can be numerous.

September 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM Reply