Mike is the general manager of Q90 FM and co-host of Stand Up For The Truth. His new book, "The Suicide of American Christianity" published in May of 2012.

Why I Am Attending the Mosque Open House

TruthI have prayed about it at length and I believe the Lord wants me to attend the open house at the Muslim Mosque in Green Bay tomorrow, so I will be attending.  I want to share with you why I believe God wants me to attend.

These days there are a lot of confusing messages coming from Muslim leaders and Christian leaders about what Islam is and is not, and confusion is never a good thing.  I plan on starting a respectful but truthful discussion with local Muslim leaders to draw clear lines of distinction between the god of Islam and the God of our bible.  I will discuss the clear differences between whom they call Isa, and who we know as Jesus the Son of God.  If we can establish the truth as a starting point for discussion on how we address frictions between Christians and Muslims, both sides will be better off.  Unlike the “Common Word Between Us” document which so many Christian leaders naively signed, our hope is that the truth will be the basis of all further discussions between Christian leaders and Muslims new to our area.

Once both sides know the truth about where each other stands and what we believe, perhaps real relationships can develop.  And of course from my perspective, I hope these respectful relationships can lead us as Christians, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to share the truth of the gospel of salvation with our Muslim neighbors.

Some of you have encouraged me to not attend, citing scriptures that say we should have nothing to do with false gods and religions.  But as I read those scriptures and the teachings of Jesus and Paul, they are not talking about refusing to meet and get to know unbelievers—they are teaching us to make sure we do not seek spiritual common ground with them.  Jesus went to Matthew’s house over the objections of His disciples, and Paul reached out to Greeks, showing them the one true God, with many converting to Christianity.

So let me be perfectly clear—there is absolutely no common spiritual ground between Islam and Christianity.  They worship a false god and we worship the one true God.  Their “jesus” in the Koran is a minor prophet—our Jesus is the one true Son of God who paid the price for our sins so we who believe in him may gain eternal life.  These are undeniable facts that must be known to Christians and Muslims alike.

However, we have a responsibility as Christians to share the gospel of salvation with all men, including Muslims.  The “Common Word Between Us” debacle is nothing but ignorance and/or cowardice on behalf of our Christian leaders.  They are either ignorant of the truth about Islam or they are afraid to speak the truth to Muslims about our faith as Christians.  Neither excuse is acceptable.  Sadly many Christians are being deceived by the actions of these Christian leaders who are probably unaware of the damage they have done by signing that document.

So, I will be at the Mosque open house tomorrow and thank each of you for your prayers, encouragement and concern.  I go there with a humble heart, not seeking caustic confrontation; rather we seek clarity in a world of confusion brought on by the movement of Chrislam spreading throughout this nation.  You know, maybe I’m just an old fashioned guy; maybe I’m just not “relational” enough like emergent Christians; but I believe the basis for any relationship is truth, not deception.  And the basis for spreading the good news of Jesus Christ is truth, not deception or finding fake common ground.  I believe that the gospel has the power to save men—not my cute, fancy words.

What Christians in this nation need from our leaders is clarity, not confusion.  We need to expect, even demand that from our spiritual leaders.  If they are blind to the truth about Islam, and we follow them, they lead us right over a cliff of destruction.  But we have the Word of God—and we need to read it and know it.  If we allow leaders to lead us over a cliff, we remain responsible when we stand before God.  So instead of following Brian McLaren, Rick Warren, John Piper or John MacArthur, let’s follow God!  He has given us the truth of His Word so we might know Him.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Why I Am Attending the Mosque Open House”

Mike, I commend you for going down the well. May God strengthen you in accordance with his glorious might and guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus. You already know what I would ask.

October 19, 2012 at 4:05 AM Reply
  2. You believe you are being led by the Holy Spirit, and you see no contradiction between that leading and the Word. I will be praying, as your actions, like all of us, will have equal and opposite reactions.

October 19, 2012 at 4:15 AM Reply
  3. mike LeMay #

Thank you guys. I hope and pray God will use my voice to bring clarity, so Muslims and Christians know the truth about God and the choice we must make. Enough pandering and trying to link "half-truths"–it is an insult not only to God but to these Muslims. Truth is truth and we must never be ashamed of Him–if we are read Luke 9:25-26.

October 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM Reply
    • Lupie Riley #

Go my brother in His wisdom, strength and love . Please let us know how it all turns out and how we can reach out to them also.

October 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM Reply
  4. Andrea Carlson #

Hey Mike,

All I can say is PRAY, PRAY, PRAY and GO, GO, GO. We have the way and the truth. Most of the time all we lack is the conviction, love for others and the courage. I think when we compromise, they see a lack of conviction and weakness interpreting that to mean there is no truth and therefore a love that is shallow.

October 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM Reply
  5. Richard Blake #

I thought I was the only one who felt compelled to attend a mosque open house to witness to both Muslims and would-be Muslims. The Northglenn Colorado Mosque (North Denver Metro Mosque) has been holding an open house for a while now. I have now attended six of the monthly mosque open houses. I can say that at times it has not been particularly exciting but at times it has been contentious, particularly when a non-Muslim attends and they misrepresent Islam to try to get a convert. I was originally prompted to do so because of a burden I had for Christians being persecuted in Islamic nations. I had hoped these Muslims were moderates. No such luck. They are all fierce advocates of Sharia, one even said that adulterers ought to be stoned to death although the imam said that the death sentence for apostates does not apply in the US. Yet that is. I have put a number of my experiences at the open houses at the Yahoo group stop persecution of Christians. I believe that being able to attend these open houses and successfully debate the Muslims is perhaps the most important mission work we can in these times.

October 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM Reply
  6. Richard Roy Blake #

I feel it is important to give some words of warning and let a would-be missionary to Muslims and would-be Muslims at mosque open houses know what they will be in for based on my experience of attending six mosque open houses in the North Denver Metro area in Colorado.

The first is vitally important. Think of the mosque open houses as psychological warfare operations because that is exactly what they are. Don't give the Muslims running the open house ANY contact information other than an email that you use just for contacting them or other open house attendees. Believe me they will definitely ask. Remember knowledge is power and anything you tell them that lets them identify you outside of the mosque open house lets them contact you or your family or worse. I don't even park near the mosque and make sure I'm not being followed when I leave.

CAIR, the Council on American Islamic Relations, which many (including the government) allege has connections with Hamas has a web page on what they call the Mosque Open House Project. It states that there are two reasons for the mosque open houses. The first, of course, is to create new Muslims and during the last open house I attended I found out that some of those Muslims running the open house came to America primarily for the purpose of Dawah, which is converting new Muslims, sort of like a Mormon mission that lasts the rest of their life.

The second is almost as important and that is to provide the mosque and the Muslims an aura of "legitimacy" in the community. After all, some will reason, if they are willing to hold an open house, what could they possibly have to hide?

Before deciding to do this very important mission work you should educate yourself about Islam, a couple of very good books on this from a non-Islamic perspective are "Marked For Death" by Geert Wilders and "The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran" by Robert Spencer.

The Muslims will offer so-called "proof" of Islam by the very spurious contentions that verses in the Koran predicted things that science later found to be true. When early Muslims wanted Mohammed to produce a miracle he pointed to the Koran. These assertions are pretty easily debunked on examination and if anyone wants they can contact me for further information on that by emailing me bohemianscribe46@yahoo.com.

One will do better if they have some experience with debating. The Muslim method of debating relies on a concept known as Taqqiya, which gives Muslims the right to deceive in order to advance Islam. They will tell you whatever they think will work with you no matter how divorced from the truth it is. They will change the subject or completely deny reality unless you know what you are talking about, but even then it doesn't matter how much evidence you present they will dismiss it. They get most testy when you talk to would-be Muslims and let them know just what they are getting into if they want to become Muslims. The first thing you want to tell them is that Islamic law (Sharia) says that if you change your mind and want to leave Islam you should be killed (penalty for apostasy in Islam)

At one point the imam was ready to throw me out of the "open to the public" open house and only changed his mind when I said I would picket the next open house and a Mormon missionary in attendance intervened. And most important of all, pray and ask for guidance.

October 8, 2013 at 3:20 AM Reply