Amy Spreeman is founder and co-blogger at Berean Research and also a contributing blogger at Pirate Christian Radio’s Berean Examiner blog. She has been a broadcaster and freelance writer for 25 years. Connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.

Something HUGE is missing from the Last Supper!

Stained glass at St John the Baptist's Anglica...

The Bible miniseries on the History Channel is one we cannot endorse. Many have said, “What’s the big deal? It’s getting unchurched people interested in the Bible, isn’t it?” The problem with this is that the complete Gospel – the only message by which the Bible says we can be regenerated to life by the Holy Spirit – is missing! No sin, to repentance. And there’s something else you need to know. Something huge.

Read it here:

Tags: , , , ,

106 Responses to “Something HUGE is missing from the Last Supper!”

1. John Hayworth #

The purpose of this series is to present an image of a Jesus that is acceptable to everyone. A Jesus who is attractive to all Christians everywhere and can appeal to all regardless of denomination or doctrine. This is a Jesus that Catholics, Evangelicals even Mormons can agree on. Thus it is a false image that falls short on every level.

The producers are unorthodox in belief, New Age mystics, and the consultants also reject orthodox beliefs ranging from oneness pentecostals to prosperity preachers and inter- faith practitioners.

None of them know Christ, so none of them present a true image of Christ in this series.

All heresies are based on the Bible and the best heresies are 90% true.

We should never settle for truth that is less than 100% true.

June 23, 2015 at 1:25 AM
  2. jerrilynn #

Jill you said: There is only ONE official protector and interpreter of Sacred Scripture; the descendants of the Apostles themselves contained within the One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church. God Bless.

No no no. The One interpreter of Scripture is God the Holy Spirit. God wrote the bible. Men if old were moved by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. He cannot lie.

When one comes to God thru Christ, recognizing his or her sin and desires to change by seeking repentance and forgiveness, he or she IS forgiven. Through faith in the death and resurrection of Christ.

At that moment the Holy Spirit promised by Jesus comes to live within you, forward. He will give that person the ability to understand what He wrote.

Every person who is forgiven is given this gift. When a person reads or hears an untruth God the Holy Spirit draws the truth from scripture one has studied and puts a "warning sign or red flag" at the right time in one's soul. The lie is exposed or an urge to research what was seen or heard becomes important.

I left a big church because they taught that everyone could be healed if they had enough faith. That teaching caused many to become devastated when God chose them to bring Him Glory apart from a healing.

This church and others mistranslate Isaiah 53.

They also teach that being poor was God's disfavor and also caused by one's lack of faith.

Yet Jesus taught "blessed are the poor…"

Some church leaders say when a Christian person dies that person does not go directly to Christ. And prayers and money paid to that church will maybe release the dead one.

Or that a Christian (anyone who has the Holy Spirit in them) does not have the right, permission or authority to talk directly to God. Or to hear from God. That only a certain hierarchy in a religion has those privileges.

The studying of scriptures exposes many untruths.

God bless. You appear to be one who desires Truth. I wish you well!!

May 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM
  3. Rusty #

I have watched the entire series and you all know where I stand regarding false doctrine preachers such as Joyce Meyers. In my opinion "The Bible" as presented by the history channel was very well done. Yes Noah began the movie by speaking from Genesis and we know that Moses wrote those words. Yes there was a sheep caught in the brush as Abraham was about to sacrifice Isaac when we know the bible says it was a ram with its horns caught in the thicket. Although it isn't 100% accurate and cannot possibly fit every detail of the Bible into a mini series, the critics seem to not quite understand that our purpose on earth is to care for the poor and spread the Gospel. This series has been the only opportunity millions across the world will be able to ever have the chance to be exposed to God's Word. I think I can live with the fact that they did not compete the entire verse at the last supper. The message is that we are sinful by nature and are in need of a Savior. The show correctly presents Jesus Christ as that Savior who by his Grace gives us the choice to be saved by faith. I read all the critiques and whole heartedly disagree. I find this series a very reasonable facsimile of God's Word and if it is seen by an unbeliever whose curiosity enough to go to church or dig into the bible themselves them it's got my endorsement. That means nothing but as long as they are not changing the message itself and adding fantastical scenes as described by false prophets who teach that God wants you to be rich, then it's my belief that the people picking it apart to this degree are only hindering the message from being spread. There ya go. The Gospel is being talked about. Plus how can you not support a movie that Obama plays the devil in?

April 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM
  4. Daniel #

Good catch. They left out "No one comes to the father except through me." Notice that they also have him saying only "this is my blood." The true Christ said "this is my blood of the new covenant which is poured out for many unto remission of sins" (Matthew 26:28), and this fulfilled what was foretold in Daniel, that the Messiah would confirm a covenant with many for one week and in the midst of the week he would cause sacrifice and oblation to cease (Daniel 9:27).

November 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  5. What would happen if some brave soldier in Christ who is in Warren's Bible Study, published by Southern Baptist Lifeway Publishers, decides to stand up at Saddleback Church, and publicly oppose Rick Warren face-to-face, the way the Apostle Paul opposed Peter face-to-face, and reads the above expose and the one below on Roma Downey, whom Warren surrendered his pulpit and church, as he did with three other principalities (Daniel Amen, Mark Hymen, Mehmet Oz) false teachers in his Daniel Plan?

ROMA DOWNEY:

In the March 2014 First for Women magazine, Downey said, “I think we all have a responsibility to see God in each other. That’s how I’ve raised my children – that no matter whose face they look into, they’re looking into the face of God, who’s in all of us.”
    Source: First for Women magazine, 03/31/14, pp. 44-45

Now that means you have to see the face of God in whom Isaiah said this:
    "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" Isaiah 8:20

Now that means you would have to see the face of God in the Judaizers whom Paul twice eternally damned in Galatians.
    That means you would have to see the face of God in whom Paul called servants of Satan masquerading as servants of righteousness:

"No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds." 2 Corinthians 11:14-15
    Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

That means you would have to see the face of God in who the Apostle John said:

"and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world." 1 John 4:3

That means you would have to see the face of God in whom Jesus called brood of vipers.
    That means you would have to see the face of God in whom Jesus called "depart from me ye wicked and accursed I never knew you."
    That means you would have to see the face of God in whom Jesus called "Ye are of your father the devil":

"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." John 8:44

Says Roma states, ‘My kids go to school about a 40-minute drive away. I’m open to the group’s opinion about what we listen to on the way there. On the way back, I get my own selections — books on tape by Eckhart Tolle, Tony Robbins…My husband says I’m so self-realized I’m practically levitating.’ Tony Robbins walked on fire and Eckart Tolle is a New Age leader who states in his book:

“Don’t get attached to any one word. You can substitute ‘Christ’ for presence, if that is more meaningful to you. Christ is your God-essence or the Self, as it is sometimes called in the East. The only difference between Christ and presence is that Christ refers to your indwelling divinity regardless of whether you are conscious of it or not, whereas presence means your awakened divinity or God-essence.”
    Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (Novato, CA: Namaste, 1999), p. 104.

March 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  6. The Council of Trent pronounced those who reject Rome's heresies accursed. I have read the Catechism of the Romanised Catholic Church and it is poison to the soul.

Salvation is by Grace through Faith–NOT through Sacraments!

The many thousands of Martyrs across Europe, as well as the many more who were tortured by Rome's tyranny are testimony to Rome's view of God. Rome has nothing in common with the Christ of the scriptures!

February 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM
  7. Sheryl #

Hello, I agree with most everything in this blogpost, except one thing. The Roman Catholic God is your God, too. It's the triune God. Therefore, it is perhaps ungracious to say that the Roman Catholic God is an angry or vengeful God. How far from the truth. 🙁 Please do not refer to the faith of Catholics who have apostasized as the example of what Catholic faith is. If you want to know what Catholics believe about God, you could read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Nowhere does it teach that God is an angry God. Perhaps that is just a conclusion that people who do not truly know the Catholic faith jump to.

February 21, 2014 at 12:50 AM
  8. The Firstplumbline #

Christ warned us concerning leaven. He stated that only a small amount of leaven is enough to corrupt the whole mass of dough. What some see as mere "nit-picking" is what the Apostle called "keeping a careful watch over our doctrine"!

Sincerity and purity are two different things. One can be sincere and sincerely wrong. Purity means without any contamination, something that cannot be said of this series. Why do I say this? Because the people that were called upon to advise the makers of this series include some of today's biggest heretics. Added to this is Roma Downey's own Roman Catholicism as well as her own connections with psychic medium John Edward.

Roma has taken a degree in "Spiritual Psychology" at the University of Santa Monica, California. the USM staes:

"Spiritual Psychology is a technology that empowers students to convert their everyday life experience into rungs on the ladder of Spiritual Evolution.." This notion of "Spiritual Evolution" is decidedly New Age and owes more to Gnosticism than to the Word of God as contained in the Bible.

She is also quoted as saying: "My kids go to school about a 40-minute drive away. I’m open to the group’s opinion about what we listen to on the way there. On the way back, I get my own selections — books on tape by Eckhart Tolle, Tony Robbins…My husband says I’m so self-realized I’m practically levitating."

Eckhart Tolle is Oprah Winfrey's guru and the flavour of the month to Holywood's bored and troubled stars. His follower's include Tony Hawks, Annie Lennox, Gillian Anderson, Jeff Goldblum, Zach Galifianakis, Oprah Winfrey, Ben Stiller, Brett Kirk, Meg Ryan, Jim Carrey, Trey Anastasio, Michelle Ang, Jacoby Shaddix, Rainn Wilson, Dusty Baker and Katy Perry. His own teachings are a mixture of various influences including, Zoroaster, Lao Tzu, Mahavira, Gautama Buddha, Heraclitus, Parmenides, Jesus, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Rumi, Meister Eckhart, Hafiz, Rinzai Gigen, Ralph Waldo Emerson; and he has emphasized the mystical schools within religions such as Gnosticism in Christianity, Sufism in Islam, Hasidism and Kabbala in Judaism, Advaita Vedanta in Hinduism, and Zen and Dzogchen in Buddhism.

Eckhart Tolle took the name of Meister Eckhart instead of his real name Ulrich. From all accounts he battled for years with depression until one day he had what he describes as a "spiritual awakening". Some could argue that what he calls a "spiritual awakening" was nothing more than a psychotic episode, and believe me I know what those are like.

January 31, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  9. Marie #

This mini series to me was like the bible for dummies, it made me realize how amazing Jesus is. I now am taking classes in theology with hunger for more, ihave been active in church for years but it was over my head. This gave me an outline to fill in/flesh out. Now I have a bit of a clearer picture of what I am reading. They never claimed it was exact, it is snips from the bible and I believe truly glorifies God. I think all the criticism is ridiculous and would recommend this series for what it is, a message of What Jesus did for us. They do say there is no other way to God but through His Son. I have spoken to a few pastors and theologians that don't like parts of it but they all agree that anything that gets people on fire for God is a good thing (obviously within reason). This series is a starting point for people that may have never even thought of attending church or reading a bible. This is not a sole reference point, just something to start with. Quote the bible all you want but the criticism is horrible. How many have you inspired to Christ? Give me a break.

January 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  10. The Firstplumbline #

Touching on the Abraham Isaac sacrifice scene. Another issue is that Abraham stated to Isaac, "God will provide a lamb!" However it was NOT a lamb that Abraham sacrificed, it was a full grown ram! Thus showing that this was NOT the lamb that God would provide. The next time we read of this lamb would be John the Baptist's comment about Jesus!

January 28, 2014 at 5:27 AM
  11. Ditto to Ginny re: posting the earlier letters for new subscribers. Alsocan you inform us who wrote the January letters?

August 1, 2013 at 2:55 AM
  12. I didn´t bother watching it. As soon as I saw Roma Downey's name I knew it would be problematic. She played "Monica" the angel with the Northern Irish accent in the series "Touched by an Angel" with Della Reese (Pastor of the Understanding Principles for Better Living Church, which teaches the heresies of Phineas Quimby's New Thought theology).

Roma Downey is a Roman Catholic so does not believe in the Bible as the standard of Faith for Doctrine! As do the ones who she looked to for advisers such as Joel Osteen, Rick Warren and TD Jakes! This is why the Gospel is missing from the miniseries.

June 27, 2013 at 3:09 AM
  13. Jill #

I found this article arrogant, judgmental and full of fundamental errors. I am a Catholic and the author clearly does not understand Catholic Church teaching, evident by the assessments and comparisons. I am wondering how the author and other critics acquired the authority to interpret Sacred Scripture over everyone else who reads it. There is only ONE official protector and interpreter of Sacred Scripture; the descendants of the Apostles themselves contained within the One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church. God Bless.

P.S. If you want a TRUE, ACCURATE representation of what the Catholic Church teaches, you can visit http://www.catholic.com.

June 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  14. Greg #

CUTTINGEDGE.ORG … SORRY…

May 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  15. Greg #

Go here for info on Catholics, Masons, Islam, the Emergent Church and spiritual warfare….

May 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  16. I agree with all that has been said. However I must be honest I was touched by this movie. Yet I notice exactly what you are saying . My question is this why was I still moved by this movie knowing the things that were left out. Is it possible God still got his message out?

May 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  17. Steve #

Movies made from books are never as good as the books, because they leave out so much detail in favor of major thematic elements. It is impossible to get everything onto film. HOWEVER, there is only ONE reason to leave out John 14:6, and "This is my body…This is my blood, etc.", key theological points. That reason is NOT for the sake of brevity, much less artistic integrity, or due to amateurism. This project was professionally produced, and the budget, big. Glad I didn't see it.

April 25, 2013 at 6:45 AM
  18. Paul #

You can tell plainly by the comments, who actually read their Bibles and who do not. Just saying.

1st Thessalonians 5:21

April 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  19. Jordan #

There are so many parts of this I disagree with.

First, the author of the post has seemingly not even viewed the whole series. He or she merely references post that he or she has seen. Call me naive, but I figure one should at the very least take the time to watch the series one is calling out

Second, the highlighting in the second part of the article is SO selective. You don't see anyone highlighting "We knew we could make it faithful." or " “Our goal is to breathe fresh, visual life into the SACRED text, the Bible…" Anyone can take anything out of context, and clearly some of this is being done.

Third, no one is claiming that this is supposed to be a perfect match up of the divine Word of God. This is clearly a representation of it, not ever meant to be considered a movie version of the Bible through and through.

Fourth, who does this person think they are? This article seems to be in part a thinly veiled attack on Osteen, Jakes and Warren. ""Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3 comes to mind.

Fifth, this article turns the most innocent of statements into ATTACKS ON THE GOSPEL. The author makes statements such as " negates the Gospel of Jesus Christ while it denies the depravity of man, the holiness of God, and humanity’s desperate need for a Savior." Clearly, this is not what the mini-series is trying to do, and the author seems to be so willing to acknowledge God that he or she fails to acknowledge man's relationship in this matter. Relationship with Christ is exactly that. A relationship. Meaning a two way street. Mankind has to make their steps to meet God where He is waiting for them. The third ATTACK ON THE GOSPEL in particular sticks out. "Hebrews 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant." This is exactly in keeping with the way I read the line from the movie. Jesus has come to make a new way, this isn't a new agey belief by any means.

Certainly, the movie series isn't perfect. There are some omissions made that perhaps some of us would have included. It's not my perfect rendition of the Bible, by any means either. But it's an attempt, and it HAS done some good. We too often forget that even the NIV is but a translation of the Bible.

Forgive my somewhat impassioned rant. I am by no means emergent, but I am not so conservative as to throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. I am just sick and tired of people taking good things and trying to subvert them into something that's somehow unholy.

And as for:

A. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe Romans 1:16-17, that the Gospel of Christ alone has the power to save and reveal the righteousness of God? If you do, why would you need anything else to talk to people about the Lord? If you’re sincerely desiring to learn ways to reach more people for Christ, go to http://www.livingwaters.com to find out how you can biblically and effectively share the Gospel in every area of your life. Trust me, God’s word was sufficient for Christ and all His faithful witnesses of old and I assure you, God’s word is still sufficient to do the job today. God doesn’t need the spectacle of Hollywood to make Himself more presentable to the world.

Did you entirely miss the part of the Bible where Jesus came to meet people where they were at? (Zacchaeus, Mary Magdaline, etc) Our faith and the way we act it out has changed in the last 2000 years. Culture has changed in the last 2000 years. People are a diverse bunch, and just quoting Bible verses at some non-Christians doesn't WORK for them. The Gospel of Christ can be presented in different ways. The message is still the same, but the format CAN be different. I don't see why this is so wrong

April 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  20. Brian #

The hirelings and the producers should have looked at these verses in the Scriptures. However, since it is all about the money, they have followed after the way of Balaam.

Deuteronomy 4:2 You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Revelation 22:18-19 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. 6 Do not add to His words Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.
    Jeremiah 23:1-40 Jeremiah 23:1 "(a)Woe to the shepherds who are b)destroying and scattering the (c)sheep of My pasture!" declares the LORD. 2 Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning the shepherds who are (1)tending My people: "You have scattered My flock and driven them away, and have not attended to them; behold, I am about to (a)attend to you for the (b)evil of your deeds," declares the LORD. 3 "Then I Myself will (a)gather the remnant of My flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and bring them back to their pasture, and they will be fruitful and multiply. 4 "I will also raise up (a)shepherds over them and they will (1)tend them; and they will (b)not be afraid any longer, nor be terrified, (c)nor will any be missing," declares the LORD. 5 "Behold, the (a)days are coming," declares the LORD, "When I will raise up for David a righteous (1b)Branch; And He will (c)reign as king and (2)act wisely And (d)do justice and righteousness in the land. 6 "In His days Judah will be saved, And (a)Israel will dwell securely; And this is His b)name by which He will be called, 'The (c)LORD our righteousness.' 7 "(a)Therefore behold, the days are coming," declares the LORD, "when they will no longer say, 'As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel from the land of Egypt,' 8 (a)but, 'As the LORD lives, who (b)brought up and led back the descendants of the household of Israel from the north land and from all the countries where I had driven them.' Then they will live on their own soil." 9 As for the prophets: My (a)heart is broken within me, All my bones tremble; I have become like a drunken man, Even like a man overcome with wine, Because of the LORD And because of His holy words. 10 For the land is full of (a)adulterers; For the land (b)mourns because of the curse. The (c)pastures of the wilderness have dried up. Their course also is evil And their might is not right. 11 "For (a)both prophet and priest are polluted; Even in My house I have found their wickedness," declares the LORD. 12 "Therefore their way will be like (a)slippery paths to them, They will be driven away into the (b)gloom and fall down in it; For I will bring (c)calamity upon them, The year of their punishment," declares the LORD. 13 "Moreover, among the prophets of Samaria I saw an (a)offensive thing: They b)prophesied by Baal and (c)led My people Israel astray. 14 "Also among the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a (a)horrible thing: The committing of b)adultery and walking in falsehood; And they strengthen the hands of c)evildoers, So that no one has turned back from his wickedness. All of them have become to Me like (d)Sodom, And her inhabitants like Gomorrah. 15 "Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets, 'Behold, I am going to (a)feed them wormwood And make them drink poisonous water, For from the prophets of Jerusalem Pollution has gone forth into all the land.'" 16 Thus says the LORD of hosts, "(a)Do not listen to the words of the prophets who are prophesying to you. They are (b)leading you into futility; They speak a (c)vision of their own (1)imagination, Not (d)from the mouth of the LORD. 17 "They keep saying to those who (a)despise Me, 'The LORD has said, "(b)You will have peace "'; And as for everyone who walks in the c)stubbornness of his own heart, They say, '(d)Calamity will not come upon you.' 18 "But (a)who has stood in the council of the LORD, That he should see and hear His word? Who has given (b)heed to (1)His word and listened? 19 "Behold, the (a)storm of the LORD has gone forth in wrath, Even a whirling tempest; It will swirl down on the head of the wicked. 20 "The (a)anger of the LORD will not turn back Until He has (b)performed and carried out the purposes of His heart; (c)In the last days you will clearly understand it. 21 "(a)I did not send these prophets, But they ran. I did not speak to them, But they prophesied. 22 "But if they had (a)stood in My council, Then they would have b)announced My words to My people, And would have turned them back from their evil way And from the evil of their deeds. 23 "Am I a God who is (a)near," declares the LORD, "And not a God far off? 24 "Can a man (a)hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?" declares the LORD. "(b)Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the LORD. 25 "I have (a)heard what the prophets have said who (b)prophesy falsely in My name, saying, 'I had a c)dream, I had a dream!' 26 "How long? Is there anything in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, even these prophets of the (a)deception of their own heart, 27 who intend to (a)make My people forget My name by their dreams which they relate to one another, just as their fathers (b)forgot My name because of Baal? 28 "The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has (a)My word speak My word in truth. (b)What does straw have in common with grain?" declares the LORD. 29 "Is not My word like (a)fire?" declares the LORD, "and like a (b)hammer which shatters a rock? 30 "Therefore behold, (a)I am against the prophets," declares the LORD, "who steal My words from each other. 31 "Behold, I am against the prophets," declares the LORD, "who use their tongues and declare, 'The Lord declares.' 32 "Behold, I am against those who have prophesied (a)false dreams," declares the LORD, "and related them and led My people astray by their falsehoods and (b)reckless boasting; yet (c)I did not send them or command them, nor do they (d)furnish this people the slightest benefit," declares the LORD. 33 "Now when this people or the prophet or a priest asks you saying, 'What is the (1a)oracle of the LORD?' then you shall say to them, 'What (1)oracle?' The LORD declares, 'I will (b)abandon you.' 34 "Then as for the prophet or the priest or the people who say, 'The (a)oracle of the LORD,' I will bring punishment upon that man and his household. 35 "Thus will each of you say to his neighbor and to his brother, '(a)What has the LORD answered?' or, 'What has the LORD spoken?' 36 "For you will no longer remember the oracle of the LORD, because every man's own word will become the oracle, and you have (a)perverted the words of the (b)living God, the LORD of hosts, our God. 37 "Thus you will say to that prophet, 'What has the LORD answered you?' and, 'What has the LORD spoken?' 38 "For if you say, 'The oracle of the LORD!' surely thus says the LORD, 'Because you said this word, "The oracle of the LORD!" I have also sent to you, saying, "You shall not say, 'The oracle of the LORD!'"' 39 "Therefore behold, (a)I will surely forget you and cast you away from My presence, along with the city which I gave you and your fathers. 40 "I will put an everlasting (a)reproach on you and an everlasting humiliation which will not be forgotten."

Jeremiah 29:8-9 "For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, 'Do not let your (a)prophets who are in your midst and your diviners (b)deceive you, and do not listen to (1c)the dreams which (2)they dream. 9 'For they a)prophesy falsely to you in My name; (b)I have not sent them,' declares the LORD.

Zechariah 10:2 For the (a)teraphim speak (1)iniquity, And the (b)diviners see (2)lying visions And tell (c)false dreams; They comfort in vain. Therefore the people (3)wander like (d)sheep, They are afflicted, because there is no shepherd.

March 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  21. Lori Anne Schwenkel #

I am extremely greatful that Sunny articulated the fundamental problems with this movie as penned. As my husband and I have been watching each series, I found myself sitting throughout the series saying "that's not what happened," and I was very upset that Roma and her husband took these exact literary liberties that they did in their attempt to modernize God's Holy Word.

March 26, 2013 at 3:17 AM
  22. Sharon W. #

I'm not watching this series, so I can't comment on it. But after reading several of the other comments, the first scripture verse that came to mind was Romans 10:2…."THEY HAVE A ZEAL FOR GOD BUT NOT ACCORDING TO KNOWLEDGE". In other words, sin or error through ignorance is still sin or error no matter how well-meaning, sincere or zealous for God someone is. TRUTH, LOVE & GRACE go "hand-in-hand" and is defined by God…not by us and not by the world's standard of measurement.

The story of Jesus & the Samaritan woman at the well is RICH with spiritual truths and meaning. The Samaritans, who also BELIEVED in the coming Messiah, had CORRUPTED much of the TRUE WORSHIP OF GOD, and Jesus did not hesitate to say to her, "You Samaritans worship what you do not know". [John 4:22]….That is LOVE in action…Jesus told her the Truth.

2 Timothy 2:25 gives us instruction in how to deal w/ those who are in error.

March 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  23. Although you make some valid points, I believe you are nit picking and getting deep into what certain elements meant in the Old Testament (ram with horn in thicket as example) a new Christian or a non-Christian is not going to understand or care frankly about the difference of it being a lamb. I do take you to task at calling the God of the Catholic church – "Roman Catholic’s angry God who curses people if they don’t obey" – being a Catholic myself and very much a Christian, I find this offensive and snide on your part, as if you see yourself as better because you feel what you believe is the only truth and only way to see God and the Bible. Yes, Roma Downey and Mark Burnett are both cradle Catholics, but I would hardly say this is a Catholic production. The Passion of Christ by Mel Gibson, now that was a very Catholic retelling of the Passion story. Roma and Mark have said over and over, it is their hope that by watching The Bible mini-series that people will read the Bible for the first time or re-open their Bibles and read the stories for themselves and do their own studies. Each person much do as they feel the Holy Spirit is leading them, and so you have the right to not want to be one that promotes the series for them and you have the right to your opinions. I do find your tone to be very self-righteous though and you will reach many more people toning that down a bit. By the way, without the Catholic church, you wouldn't have The Bible or the option to practice your version of Christianity…And Martin Luther never wanted new churches to be formed, he wished for a Reformation within the Catholic church. I personally have witnessed Christian arguing amongst each other regarding this series and many have said, who would want to belong to religion where no one can agree with each other, name call and like to bash others beliefs. Yes, Catholic bashing was only part of what I witnessed, but I've never seen such judgemental people than the ones all claiming to be "born again Christians" argue and bicker with each other. For the record, I don't agree 100% with the teachings of Joel Osteen, I feel he and others teach "the prosperity gospel"….But I leave it to God to judge people's hearts.For in the end, we all must stand before him and answer for our actions and sins and how we have led out lives. God is a God of love and mercy. You will never bring others to Christ harping on just the sinful nature of humans. Yes, it is true, but it is not the only thing Christ would have us share of His message.

March 25, 2013 at 4:39 AM
  24. Vonda #

I've yet to see the series but based on all the inaccuracies listed here among the comments, I would be disappointed, as well. Whether I watch it or not, I'd like to address those who are bothered by the critisism of the movie, its makers and advisors. It seems when we (Christians) DO get the opportunity to be involved in the cinematic aspects of portraying the Gospel, we compromise by omission and embellishment for the sake of "watch-ability" and ratings, rather than desiring to depict just the plain TRUTH. Yes, there is much in the Scriptures about love but there is much about correction, as well. For example, Jesus didn't go around and give each of the "money changers" in the temple a big hug and pull them aside to quietly speak to them about how what they were doing was wrong. He turned over their tables and drove them out! So, what I'm saying is just because there is criticism, judgment and admonishment, doesn't mean that love is lacking. On the contrary, I think BECAUSE there is LOVE for the lost many here are upset that they (the lost) will not be receiving the truth of the Gospel. And that's what is most important, not how much of someone's finances was put into a project! Someone made the comment that for some, this will be the only "portrayal" of the Bible/Gospel they will ever see/know, and that might be true. So why would the makers risk that with an incorrect depiction of something as important as the Gospel of Jesus Christ?! Pointing out such inaccuracies is definitely NOT "nitpicking!" If someone is mis-representing the Gospel, the character of Jesus and the way (other than the way God says) to be saved, they SHOULD be called out on it! Ms. Downey states: “We knew that we could make it heartfelt. We knew we could make it faithful. But we wanted to be sure that we could make it cool.“ I guess"cool" won out over truth?

March 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM
  25. Kim Ingram #

I kept waiting for it too. This is not a good movie to watch, especially if you don't know The Lord, and you can't see the lies

March 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM
  26. Stephen Denny #

Amy

Another Big Miss is that Jesus did not drink the communion cup with them because it represented his blood for the remission of sin of which he knew not sin as the sinless lamb of God. Matt 26:29

March 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  27. J #

All I know is that the Lord God will judge all of us at the rapture. My question to everyone is this.If a Christian see's another Christian going astray do we try and bring them back to Christianity or do we let them go astray?

March 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  28. Linda #

Roma and Mark have gone into the production of this mini-series with pure hearts and much prayer, financing it with their own money, desirous of seeing the Lord glorified to the masses.
    It has grieved me immensely through the years to see Christian judging Christian … who needs enemies when our brothers and sisters will cut us down much more effectively?
    This is not a "Christianity" that the non-believer needs to see. When non-believers see the lack of love in the church that is present, they only know that they don't need this. A human being needs, above all, love and acceptance which is what Jesus came to provide us with … let's try extending that to our brothers and sisters.
    People are coming to know the Lord because of this movie! Let's stop nit picking and start believing the Lord for those who need His salvation!!

March 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  29. Sam #

There are so many inconsistencies up to the this point it would be shocking, if it wasn't expected. The scene with Jesus and Peter was a complete re-manufacture of Biblical truth. The Gospels tell a completely different story that expresses Jesus' total authority over man. In the real Bible, Jesus walks by the Sea of Galilee and calls Peter and Andrew – they 'immediately' leave their nets and follow Him. (Matthew 4:18-22) In the history channel's adaptation, a whining Peter (fishing alone) causes Jesus to wade into the water and be pulled into the boat by Peter with the statement for them to collaboratively become 'World Changers'. Anticipating this to be a very common theme throughout the remainder of this travesty.

This is one of many examples of the re-telling of Biblical truths that put the focus on man, and remove the deity and total authority of Jesus.

I pray that God would give us all discernment and use this to provide an opportunity for reaching folks who may be watching this, thinking it is truth. Folks that ask our opinions on this should get an earful of Biblical truth.

March 23, 2013 at 1:56 AM
  30. Sam #

yes, definitely saw that and many other things that were totally unbiblical.

March 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM
  31. Rebecca #

I have been SO utterly criticized for stating that I didn't like this series because it strays so far away from the Bible! I was told that numbers matter, have been accused of being judgmental, of suffering from "plank in eye syndrome" and a host of other maladies. So, THANK YOU for confirming what has been troubling my spirit!

March 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  32. Maybe I'm wrong, so please don't take this as unassailable truth, but isn't Roma Downey a Mormon?

March 22, 2013 at 4:14 AM
  33. Ray Apple #

I agree with the inaccuracies and I will say that this movie has stirred a deeper desire in me to study the true and only BIBLE. The God breathed word of the only living God.
    Thank you for standing up, you are being heard. A believer!

March 21, 2013 at 4:49 AM
  34. Sherri #

that was the FIRST thing that I noticed! The clouds falling down towards Jesus and making way for the sun to shine on Him, was a nice touch, but those words,…or even that narrator, SHOULD HAVE BEEN SPOKEN!

March 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM
  35. Kathy #

I tuned in to the first episode and was turned off right away by what was missing. Even before reading the reviews I knew I could NOT watch anymore. God truly does witness with the born again heart. It made me very sad to have the truth of God so tarnished. Those "Chistians" who collaborated on this movie will one have to answer to GOD almighty for the souls who saw this movie empty of TRUTH..

March 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM
  36. The Last Supper scene will air this Sunday. The clip is a preview.

March 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM
  37. I was waiting for that myself, it was not there:(

March 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM
  38. I do not find it to be full of error at all- they have takes liberty with some small things, like skin color of characters- but the LORD don't see skin color as a factor , why should we. they have missed ALOT of parts from the Bilble, I really wanted to see the spirit of GOD decending upon him like a dove, but it wasn't there-critisizing this movie from Christians is amazing to me, it would take years to make a movie with every part of the Bible included, it IS scriptual, selectively scriptural, but scriptual nonetheless-This Bible series will be seen by Many, many unbelievers- or people that have not come to know the Bible AT ALL! Many WILL open there Bibles, or go and buy a Bible, mabe go to church for the first time- or for the first time in a long time. This show explains who JESUS is, why he came here, what, why, and how he Preached, Many people do not know these things- dear people of Faith- look at this movie as a steppingstone pointing people in the right direction that do not know the WORD at all. I leave you with this question- how can anyone with free will- make the choice to believe, if they never know what the message is? I am reminded of creating a beautiful painting, there is always some people just waiting to tell me how many things they find wrong with it, than to step back and see it without having that mindset..

March 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  39. karen #

I am not at all surprised because I expected it to be full of error! You can't get a Biblically accurate, powerful Gospel message out of Follywood! Jesus said "you must be born again to see (percieve, understand) the Kingdom of God".

March 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  40. I agree wholeheartedly! Furthermore, many of the actors/actresses are the furthest from godly. The woman who plays Bathsheba has been in many 'dirty' movies, including foreign soft-core porn…even recently! It's Hollywood! Nothing truly godly, rarely EVER..comes from Hollywood. If Hollywood accepts it, there must be something 'secretly' evil stitched in between the lines! God bless you!

March 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  41. J #

I enjoy reading other people's comments. Attacking and judging other christians I will let God decide. I have not watch any of this mini series nor do I plan on watching any of it.
    My main concern for myself is getting to know God through his Holy Word and not from some tv series made up by man.
    Joshua 1:8 and Joshua 1:9. I was reading these two scriptures this morning and they spoke to me. I hope they will speak to you.

March 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM
  42. Dean #

I am amazed and saddened by Christians who see nothing wrong with attacking and judging others. I wonder how they can read the Bible and not see the message of love, non-judgement, and compassion that I see, which I see little of in any church. What happened to "They will know we are Christians by our love". Jesus healed, forgave sins, and loved people of different religions without requiring them to change what God they worshiped, even telling a pagan that he had greater faith than anyone in Israel. Perhaps being a Christian has more to do with how that changes the way we live each day and not so much about what we believe or what others around us believe. How arrogant of most of you to think that you know for sure the mind of God, aren't you exactly the kind of person Jesus ridiculed.

March 19, 2013 at 3:46 AM

This movie is just another example of the violation of scripture in the sense that we feel and reason we must change the scriptures to conform with our idea of reality. This we are commanded to renounce. 2 Corinthians 4:1-6 This practice elevates man to Godhood, for man in his finite brain determines what is good instead of trusting God with the increase if there will be any. 2 Corinthian 3:12

But this very twisting of scripture occurs from every pulpit for we are also commanded to judge all that are spoken when we are gathered so that all may learn and all may be edified. 1 Corinthians 14:29-31 In most every case this is not allowed for we allow scholarship of man to reign supreme who is by practice a hireling and not even a real shepherd. 1 Corinthian 4:14-17 God has given us over to the idolatry of man and we are blinded to that truth.

Therefore is judgment far from us, neither doth justice overtake us: we wait for light, but behold obscurity; for brightness, but we walk in darkness. We grope for the wall like the blind, and we grope as if we had no eyes: we stumble at noonday as in the night; we are in desolate places as dead men.
    Isaiah 59:9-10

And God must act Ephesians 2:1-3 for how can a dead man do anything. He is dead.

By and large we have in this country received a gospel that was convient for us which doesn't bring about conversion for there is no power in a false gospel. That is the gospel proclaimed from the pulpits instead of the Gospel of Christ which, if we recieve it, works in us to reject our self will which pursues the lusts of the flesh and the mind and also to reject the world and all its practices. Rather we pursue love because the Love of Christ compells us, because Christ is in us, the Hope of Glory.

This is not to say men have not been saved but rather if men come to repentance it is not because of our message but despite our message and conduct.

But as many as received him, to them gave he (power) to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:12-13

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3

Jesus answered , Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. John 3:5-7

But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him. And now, little children, abide in Him; that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at his coming. If ye know that He is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of Him. 1 John 2:27-29

Ephesians 2:4-22

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. Romans 13:8-14

This movie just a symptom of a greater problem.

March 19, 2013 at 2:35 AM
  44. Connie #

I cannot thank you enough for this article!!!! I knew that this series was WRONG and it bothered me so, but fellow Christians disagreed with me and thought I was being too picky. I thought maybe I am too judgmental. I prayed for an answer. Thank you so much for this article!!!!!

March 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM
  45. donna #

I totally agree. I was so excited waiting for that part, waiting to hear God speak , and nothing….

March 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  46. From your statement "The correlation between this covenant and the new covenant that Christ establishes (through His shed blood) is once again, an unbreakable covenant because it’s initiated and fulfilled only by God Himself: for those He calls, He grants them the gift of repentance that leads to salvation found only in His Son (John 6:44, Rom 8:29-30, 2 Cor 7:10)." it seems that you hold to the Calvinistic doctrines of grace (TULIP).

The unconditional covenant God made with Abraham concerning their Promised Land cannot be associated with the New Covenant. The New Covenant is conditioned on faith, whilst the one with Abraham concerning his seed is not. Please bear in mind, I am not referring to faith as Calvinists see it, i.e. a gift of God subsequent to their monergistic regeneration. I'm talking about faith that is necessary IN ORDER to be saved.

March 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  47. Did any of the producers SAY that this mini-series would follow modern Christianity/Church-at-large interpretation of doctrine?
    No, I don't think so … plus "the doctrine of man's depravity"
    has a number of holes in it, I don't buy it … e.g. "Noah found
    favor in the eyes of the Lord" … Noah was a "sinner" too, right?
    But no, how could he be, he's a righteous man! LOT is considered
    a righteous man in scripture too, but look how much a screw-up
    he was! So … I say all these things to point out how this is a couple
    of people's interpretation of "the Bible". And as far as "the gospel"
    that you keep referencing, THE GOSPEL is good news about how
    God RECONCILED the whole world thru his son's sacrifice. It is
    GOOD NEWS, not bad news! There are a lot of people who see
    things quite differently, but still are BELIEVERS.
    As for the accuracy or scriptural "correctness" … Well, it is a film
    series produced by non-scholars of the Word, I'm sure.

March 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  48. Marie #

I for one hope it gets the non churched interested in the Word .. then they can grow and learn where the producers of this went wrong. I disliked the violence and several things in the Series, many very important things were missing .. but I will continue watching it so if I am asked about it I will be able to give a helpful answer. The Bible is an amazing book and growing in the Lord took time even for the disciples.

March 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  49. Charles #

Moses went up the mountain to get the ten commandments. ..
    What were they? Seems like an important part of the scriptures
    to omit. How do we know what sin is without the law?

March 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  50. lol James nope, it wasn't there unless we all blinked at the same time.

March 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  51. This story by Jim Wallis

is linked to directly from here

For some reason his commentary on Peter and the great catch of fish is blocked for copyright infringement…? But it's linked directly from the site, so I think there must be some mistake there.

March 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  52. btw you know what else is missing?

"this is my body, ___________"
    "this is my blood, ___________"

March 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  53. Rose Vosburgh #

" Maybe I was supposed to see it in my imagination, like a good contemplative in in altered state of consciousness?"

Ha, ha, ha…good one, James!

March 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  54. I think this must be an extended previous because I didn't see it last night either.

March 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  55. Oh – also please be aware that Jim Wallis was on the consultant panel. If you see his videos on youtube where he comments on some of the clips, in the description he lists himself as having been consulted.

March 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  56. Can you please link the "sunnyshell.org" to the original post? http://www.sunnyshell.org/2013/03/history-channel
    It keeps taking you to the main page, and after a while it will not be on the main page anymore.

March 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  57. Neil #

I fully understand that not quoting ALL of verse John 14:6 was a major concern, but for them to leave out the covenants God made with man is blasphemous. In this particular scene,the actor who play Jesus says…."This is my body…this is my blood…remember me by doing this… I'm going to the Father…but I will always be with you." You can call this series an "epic tale of adventure" but we must stand firm by saying this series is not the truth.

Matthew 26:26 While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” 27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

March 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  58. Well I missed the Last Supper Scene. But I did see the Baptism of Jesus, and couldn't wait until when he came out of the water, the Holy Spirit descending like a dove…I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting. So just like the Last Supper omitted the most important thing, John Baptizing Jesus missed the most important thing:

"This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased!" Matthew 3:17

Did anyone else see it and I missed it? Maybe I was supposed to see it in my imagination, like a good contemplative in in altered state of consciousness?

March 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM