Deceiving signs and wonders: Corissa's Story

Screen shot 2013-07-15 at 11.18.00 PM

The following is a testimony of one of our listeners, Corissa, who was deeply steeped in the Signs and Wonders movement infecting many churches. She has given us permission to share her story, in hopes that others caught up in this beautiful deception will be willing to consider the spiritual danger that they are in, and be open to investigating this movement for themselves.

This, what I am about to share with you is only a small part of that testimony. As you read, consider that everything I am telling you comes from a person who was on the inside, experienced everything, and saw great things. Before you dismiss me as a nay-sayer, you need to know that, despite, what you may think, I know exactly what it is that I am talking about. I experienced it, felt it, heard it, and saw it.

I’ve seen this gold dust. It always happened during “praise and worship.” I remember the first time I was being encouraged to pray for it. I was told to pray for it and receive it, and I opened my eyes to see my hands sparkling as if gold glitter was on them. There was no one walking around sprinkling this stuff on people. It was real! That is why so many are attributing it to God just because it really does happen. The problem is that it is 100% a sign and wonder, but it is not one of God. I experienced this in my quiet time at home, and anywhere I prayed. In fact, I first witnessed this when a girl at my school invited me to youth group. She was holding out her hand, and you could see it just shimmering. I asked her what it was and she said, “You get this when you have Jesus.” Mind you, I was not saved at the time, but the Lord was already drawing me, and apparently Satan was hot on my heels, too.

I can remember seeing an aurora all around me everything time it happened to me. It almost always followed praying a mantra type of prayer. I’ve never seen the kind of gold that you can cash in, but I did experience seeing big chunks of it on my hand. Everyone would walk around in the congregation showing everyone their hands. Everyone had it! It wasn’t until God showed me the truth behind this phenomenon that I began to realize that I was actually in a trance, hence the aurora.

I first witnessed the falsehood of this “sign and wonder” at a youth meeting one night back in 2006/2007. I was not a youth at this time, but was encouraged to come sit in with the youth to discuss topics that were going to be covered. Anyway, so we were on the topic of gold dust. My husband’s curiosity on the subject had peaked and I began to share some of my experiences (which are many), and so the youth pastor’s wife shared hers. Interestingly enough, she held out her hand and told him to look at all the gold dust that covered it. To my surprise, I saw nothing! I told her this, and she insisted that it was there all over. (Now, I know she would not lie about this as I witnessed it being on her hand in the past.) This baffled me for months as to why I could not see it! In fact, I never saw it again. What I didn’t realize is that God was already leading me away from it as I began doubting so many of my experiences and began questioning the sources. I was no longer practicing contemplative type of prayer nor was entering into a presence. Notice that I said presence, not HIS presence. Gold dust is of the devil.

I used to follow the likes of Todd Bentley, Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, Paul and Jan Crouch, Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Marlyn Hickey, Jesse Duplantis, TD Jakes, Crystal Cathedral, Paula White, and so on. How did God get me to see the cold-hard truth? First, He showed me that Joel Osteen was twisting Scripture. That was a hard pill to swallow, but even though, it was bitter tasting in my mouth, I digested it with humility. I then began to question teachers for the first time in all the years that I was saved. Pride was being chiseled away and I was actually becoming teachable!

I found a Christian forum, which God used to show me the truth about the signs and wonders movement also known as the hyper-charismatic movement. I fought it tooth and nail; debated with the Moderators of the forum and was really defensive in the apostasy sub-forum. During this time, my church was holding services which were being influenced by Todd Bentley’s Lakeland Revival. I knew something wasn’t right, but couldn’t put my finger on it. I believe the forum debates had planted seeds in my stubborn heart and I was finally given just enough discernment to detect something very off.

I remember one day, my husband was watching GodTV and Todd Bentley was running his marathon. If I remember correctly, that was all that was on for 24 hours a day. I may be wrong. Anyway, I felt a really familiar and unsettling presence filling the room. I immediately went to the computer room. What was that, and why did I feel the need to leave the room in a hurry? If it was of God, then the presence would not have been so oppressive.

Screen shot 2013-07-15 at 11.18.51 PM

I decided that I would actually research about Todd Bentley. I went back to the Christian forum and dug up the thread where they were discussing the revival. I watched the videos exposing the movement and became convinced that this man was either a con-artist, or he was an escapee from the mental institution. I mean, his idea of healing was to punch, kick and body slam the people he laid hands on. On top of that, he liked to say the word “Bam!” when laying his hands on people as if he had some type of anointing from a fight-happy spirit. Crazy!

One video led to another, and finally, a video exposing the Kundalini practice in Todd Bentley’s “revival.” It was at least 7 to 12 videos long. I sat there for hours with my mouth gaping, wondering what to make of it because the very things that were being exposed were, coincidentally, were what I experienced, accepted, and participated in.

I’ll admit, I didn’t want to believe it at first. I prayed to God. I kicked and screamed and cried, “do I have to give up my precious experiences?” I pleaded with God. I didn’t want to let go, but the truth was cracking the foundation upon which this lie stood on. It took weeks for this all to sink in. I read the Bible more, I sought out teachings, and inside felt like a part of me was dying with each blow of truth. It was like someone picked up a rock and threw it at the mirror which shattered the reflection that I had been staring at. It was all just an illusion.

I was not highly favored, as I had been told. I did not have supernatural abilities. My dreams, as spiritual as they were, are subjective. I was spiritually stunted. I was an idolater who got wooed away from the truth through the lips of those who profess to preach “new revelations.” I got saved in a church built on lies and I was spiritually starved.  I had to go back to the milk of the Word. God used this time of despair to show me the truth. I was ripe to receive it and was ready to surrender my experiences for the truth. God opened door after door once I gave up those experiences. They were like carved images that I worshiped. They were my chronicles of truth built on sand!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Deceiving signs and wonders: Corissa's Story”

1. WOW! This is amazing. Thanks for the good work you are doing.

Just yesterday, I posted "Are WE The Laodicean Church?", in which I speak about the pathetic condition of the church, IN SPITE OF the marvelous proclamations and claims of the Charismatics, Pentecostals and Word-Faith people.

Understand, I believe in the gifts of the Spirit and have functioned in some of them, but we need to open our eyes.

If anyone might be interested in the post, you may read it at http://whatischurch.org/are-we-the-laodicean-chur

July 16, 2013 at 2:58 AM Reply
    • Thank you for sharing your article! I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, definitely. However, what we see today is not the gifts of the Holy Spirit and so many are failing to discern that simply because they are taught there are "new" revelations from God, and have been taught to read and interpret the Bible personally instead of contextually. So, as a result, it's an anything goes as long as it is seemingly "good". I cannot believe the things that I used to believe and follow, but I praise God that He is waking up the church, and preparing us for the end times to minister to those who are still caught in this snare. God bless!

July 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Reply
      • Thanks, Corissa

It's good to see that the Lord is moving to renew and restore His body.

If you can, check out the rest of my site, too. Aside from the charismatic craziness, there are many other issues and problems.

We've drifted far from His calling and intentions.

July 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM Reply
  2. Marie #

Praise our LORD who art in Heaven…Praise Him to the ends of this earth! Thank-You so very much Corissa for sharing the honesty of your heart with this very personal testimony. I respect your courage and Praise God, the Holy Spirit, for giving you the boldness to speak the truth in broken love.

God freely gavie us His Word so that we could be discipled by Him, and Jesus Himself bears testimony to the hearts of men….Matthew 12:38 "Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You." But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet;…."

And again Jesus, our Savior, repeats Himself in Matthew 16:1-4 "The Pharisees and Saducees came up, and testing Jesus, they asked Him to show them a sign from heaven. But He replied to them, "When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.' And in the morning , 'There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening .' Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times: An evil and aduterous generation seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah." And He left them and went away."

I can only describe the joy that I feel in my being after reading your testimony as the true joy that comes only from Jesus Christ in that He led you out of a false belief system and saved your marriage. And even more importantly than earthy things, HE SAVED YOUR VERY SOUL. Thank-you, Thank-you, Praise You, Jesus, LORD of all.

If I may also share; I too was being seduced into this false jesus belief system by many people in our area with very powerful, controlling personalities. Our Word says the fruits of the Spirit are "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control." Galations 5:22-23

When you first become a part of a "lying signs and wonders" system, these people will "love bomb" you with what seems like "authentic love," but as time progresses, you will clearly see and experience the true fruits of their hearts which are "immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkeness, carousing, and things like these…" Galations 5:19-21

The last church that our Father delievered me out of believed and worshipped the signs and wonders, several women thought they were prophetesses and used that sef inflated "title" to control and manipulate people with their special revelations of "knowledge." And when I began to question these people and their idols: Todd Bentley, Patricia King and the Elijah List, Mike Bickle, Bob Jones, John Wimber, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, Jesse Duplantis, Sid Roth, Jonathan Cahn, Smith Wigglesworth, Morris Cerullo, Beth Moore, Joyce Meyer, Paula White, Paul Crouch, Yongi Cho, Larry Huch (prayer cloth fame), the Toronto Blessing – I am sorry, but it is so difficult to call it a blessing for it resembles more of a curse than anything), and in addition…..many of the local ministries that are using these same techniques into trying to draw followers after themselves and preaching another jesus.

Many of the local "lying signs and wonders" preachers and teachers are now promoting another "sign" with their boastful words of visiting "the third heaven" as the Apostle Paul did. May God have mercy on these false teachers for they are leading many astray, and it crushes my heart in knowing they are captivating the hearts of our young people, a few of my own children included.

I began to question the teachings of these people to those who hold these false teachers in high esteem, I choose to call it idolatry, by asking "where is this in the Word of God?" These people become angry when you doubt their idols and question their false teachings, even when you approach the subject bearing the fruits of the Spirit. Anger is the first manifestation from these people, then many too, will follow, slander, tail bearing, wispering, chastizing from the pulpit….often pastors will dig out their sermons on the "Jezebel spirit" with you in mind to try and put you in your place all the while engaging in secret sexual immorality behind the scenes….we have witnessed this first hand in the church system….the hurt and pain caused by this abusive leadership is beyond words…

And eventually, these people will do everything in their power to destroy you, your marriage, and your family, if you let them….because they will consume you. They call themselves brothers and sisters in Christ, but I have to ask, "What Jesus are these people promoting?" It is another jesus coming from another spirit…..the devil.

Thankfully, we have the Word of God with which to test the spirits and God, the Holy Spirit to teach and guide us in all truth through these trying moments in our lives.

God is still living and moving in the lives of His people today and your tesitmony, Corissa, bears witness of His amazing mercy and grace. He still saves marriages, relationships, and most importantly, above all things, souls, through our LORD Jesus Christ. Praise be to God.

July 16, 2013 at 3:13 AM Reply
    • Wow, thank you for sharing your testimony! My heart leaps for joy when I read about others having come out of the deception as I have because it's literally like escaping out of a fiery pit. It gets a bit lonely sometimes because in my area, this deception has its hands gripped tightly around our community. They are tossed to and fro from the newest fad to the newest televangelist to follow. It is truly sickening and heart-wrenching to watch this go on, knowing that I was once among them. And now I actually expose said deception, I am quite possibly labeled a Jezebel or something of that sort, I am sure. I do know that I have had some run-ins on the net with those from my ex-congregation and elsewhere, and it has not been pretty from their end. I admit that when I see parties from my ex-congregation out in public, I want to run in the other direction because you simply cannot reckon with these people because of the spirit that influences them. I prefer to keep sharing my testimony as I feel lead, simply because we cannot cast our pearls before swine or they will turn and trample you Matthew 7:6. I have shared with people, naively expecting they would share my concern about the obvious deception, only for them to turn and attack me like rabid dogs.

And it is funny that you mention that God saved my marriage because it was definitely in jeopardy for many reasons. God knew what He was doing because He used so much turmoil in my life at the time to humble to a mind as of a child, so that He could deal with me in the gentleness and kindness, even as harsh as a rebuke and chastisement that I received from His hand, it was like He gave me bread and water for my soul when He opened my eyes.

I only pray that the Lord will draw people out of this movement. Despite what people may think, you cannot dismiss this deception as just a different denominational belief, but it is one of doctrinal error and fundamentally different than the Bible.

July 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM Reply
  3. Thank you for sharing your testimony too!

July 16, 2013 at 4:08 AM Reply
  4. This is my testimony that I typed up in the same year (2008) before I discovered I had been caught up in deception:

I come from a broken home. I have one sibling, and my father was not allowed in the picture. I was sexually molested as a little girl, and grew up with an abusive, alcoholic mother. By the time I was the age of 13, I had already tasted alcohol, and had already smoked my first cigarette. No, that's not shocking because before my time, it was normal for anyone to smoke, of any age. But, in my lifetime, it is completely unacceptable for someone under the age of 18 to be given a cigarette. I was on a journey to nowhere, and it took only one thing to turn it around – Salvation.

I was around 6 years old when I started becoming molested. My innocence was being robbed. I didn't know any better. I didn't know why we would played the games we played, and why this person was always touching me like they were. I did, however, know that it wasn't right. I didn't like the way it made me feel, and what it did to my thinking. I fantasized about older women, and craved their attention. I was confused.

In my Kindergarten year, I became the most liked girl in the class by all of the boys. For some reason, I was always put in the group with the boys. They soon began to explore my girl parts by feeling me up. They didn't know any better, either, but what drew them to me? I didn't understand. I tried to report it to my teacher, but to her I was just a stupid, lying, little Kindergartner who was just trying to make trouble. I wasn't. I didn't like how the boys would touch me, and I wanted it to stop. I told my mother, but she didn't listen, either. Why? Why wouldn't they listen to me? It continued for the remainder of that year. Luckily, it stopped there, and didn't follow me to the First Grade.

I never had that many friends growing up, and I was always picked on. People would pick fights with me, and make fun of the way I look. I always came home from school crying because some kid at school was making fun of me again. In reality, I was one of those kids destined to become a high school shooter. Praise God, it never came to that, as the teasing finally ceased during my 6th grade year.

I had no sense of direction, whatsoever. All I knew was hatred, and anger because of my upbringing and how I was treated. No one was there to hold my hand and guide me the rest of the way . I was lost, with no hope of any love in my future. I was even at the brink of suicide. Yes, at that age, I had already made up my mind that I didn't want to pursue life for what it could be, but for what it already was – meaningless. I was destined to become an alcoholic, just like my mother.

So, to shine some light on the events that took place prior to my salvation experience, I will tell you my story beginning at the age of 13:
    It was New Years night, 1999 and I just watched the last of the fire rockets light the sky. I looked at the moon in all its shining glory, and said to myself, "This night next year, I am going to kill myself." I remember thinking these thoughts over and over, and even contemplated committing the act right there in front of all my friends and family. But, since I vowed to do so the following year, I held off.

So, I began my journey towards nothing, and continued my life as if it was going to be my last. I got my first nose piercing, and got into my first fight in the beginning of that year. I was a tough girl, and I wasn't afraid of anyone. My nickname soon became "Charles Manson" and China because all I sought out to do was fight. I fought with my sister, and her friends, both verbally and physically. I didn't care. I used to want to fit in, but that didn't matter to me anymore. I just wanted to be known as a someone you didn't want to mess with. I eventually acquired that title…in my home.

One night, my cousin and his girlfriend were over, as usual for a little party. My cousin said something that really sent me off the deep end. The deep end it was. I grabbed a screw driver from a storage cabinet. At this moment, I had already blacked out. I stood a couple of feet in front of my sister's dark bedroom where my cousin and his girlfriend was. Without hesitation, I threw the screwdriver head first into the pitch black room. The next thing I heard was a shriek of terror, soon followed by hysteric crying.

My cousin came out of the room, and I had already jolted out the front door. I panted as I ran down the street, thinking to myself, "What have I done?" Did I kill her? What happened? Are they going to come and take me away? I found an abandoned yard and hid there for hours until I thought things would blow over.

Later, I discovered that my cousin's girlfriend had to go to the ER. I had come close to hitting her throat, but luckily, I hit her chin instead. She had to have numerous stitches, as it had cut deep to her bone. I was very fortunate that they didn't report me, but my guilty conscience did the punishing for them, and so did my mother. I don't exactly remember my punishment, as I probably blocked it out along with the other abusive moments that I had in my life.

That was just one of the many times that I attempted to brutally hurt someone. There is only one thing, though, I almost always blacked out anytime I was executing this anger on my victims. As a little girl, at the age of 11, I had a tall wooden hammer with a big head (my uncle made it for me because I was fascinated with hammers) that I was ready to take to my mother while she was asleep. Simply because she refused to let me see my daddy when he came in and visited from out of town.

You know the really amazing part of all of this, I believed in God. I just didn't know who He was, and what He could do in my life. All of my life, I was always told that the only way you can get saved is through a Preacher, and baptism. I wanted to do right, I just didn't know how. It had become a part of me that became lost, and even when I wanted to be good, I couldn't. My anger always got the best of me. To most, I would have been considered a crazy little girl, and that I was. I was crazy, lost, and searching. I wanted to be a Christian. I wanted to be saved, but how? The answer was soon to come, and God was the only one who knew what I was looking for.

It was a Saturday in April of 1999, and my sister had some of her friends over. With them, they brought their friends, and so would be begin a party. Our mother would buy us alcohol, wine coolers and cigarettes. I can still remember my first drunken experience:
    I crawled to the bathroom hoping to make it to the toilet where I could then get rid of the bubbling that was over taking my stomach. I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror. The reflection staring back at me is one that I will never forget. I couldn't believe what I saw. It was a woman with cold eyes, and she was looking back at me in hatred. I got angry, and formed a fist, and shook it at my reflection, "WHO ARE YOU?!!! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!" As I continued to stare at this reflection, I saw my future. Images swarmed my head of me becoming a drunk, just like my mother. Deep down inside, that's not what I wanted. I didn't want to become like my mother. No! I wanted to be somebody. Right there, in that moment, I got down on my knees and raised my hands to Heaven. "God, if you are real, please save me from this! I don't want to do this anymore!." I then, heard a voice mocking me in my head, and it sounded like mine. "God doesn't hear you! You are drunk! Why would He listen to you?!" That ended my night with, yet, another feeling of hopelessness. Weeks later, I found myself doing the same thing. Except this time, I was on my knees in front of everyone. "GOD, PLEASE GOD, IF YOU ARE REAL, SAVE ME! PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE THIS! I DON'T WANT TO KEEP DOING THIS! PLEASE, SAVE ME, GOD!" That same mocking voice spoke again, this time, with condemnation, " GOD DOESN'T HEAR YOU! HE DOESN'T LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO DRINK! GIVE IT UP! HE WILL NEVER HEAR YOU! WHY DO YOU EVEN BOTHER?!" After that, I found a spot on the cold floor, got in the fetal position and wept. I can still remember the thunder outside, as it terrified me thinking that was God's angry voice yelling at me. I was sure that thunderstorm came for me to let me know God was angry with me.

That following Monday, I was sitting in my gym class with one of my acquaintances. She started talking about God, and about her church. In the back of my mind, I was rejoicing because this is exactly what I had been waiting for – someone to reach out to me. I gladly accepted the invitation to go to Youth Group with her.

The night before I was supposed to go to Youth Group with my new friend, I watched a little bit of TV. There was a program on that was dedicated to talking to teens about God. I was moved by everything that was being said, and it seemed as if God himself was talking to me. I didn't understand most of it, but I knew that I wanted to. They closed the program with this prayer, "Dear Jesus, I am a sinner. I believe you shed your blood and died for me on the cross. Please forgive me of my sins, and come into my life. Save me and cleanse me. Amen." I repeated that prayer with them, hoping to feel a change. I didn't feel anything. I prayed some more, and I remember that I laid down on my couch to go to sleep for the night. It was different from any other time, though, because I felt a weird, but peaceful presence in the room. I couldn't explain it, but I slept like I was floating on a cloud that night.

The next day came, and I almost forgot about the night before, when I said that prayer. I didn't feel any different, and I almost didn't want to be any different. I did tell my friends about what I did, but I expected things to remain the same as usual. They did, for that day. So, Youth night came, and my friend warned me that she didn't know how they would react to my nose piercing. That scared me, but I said to myself, "If they don't like it, so what? Christians shouldn't judge by appearance, anyway!" I was puffed up with pride and determined not to let anyone tear me down.

I entered the building, and as soon as I walked in, I felt this amazing, indescribable presence. I couldn't explain it, I just knew it was there, and it was peaceful just like the night before, only stronger. I walked into the bathroom where my friend and her cousin was, and she was asking her cousin if she thought that I would get saved. I retorted, "Ha, no way! Not me!." I meant it, too. We left the bathroom and headed towards the youth room. There at the door was some youth assigned to greet at the door. I remember the smiles on their face, they were so full of love as they hugged me and welcomed me. And no one said anything about my nose ring. So, service began and I sat in my seat nervously, expecting to hear your typical "Fire and Brimstone" message. I got the opposite. The Youth leader began the service talking about the fruits of a Christian. This got my interest, as I had never heard a teaching like this before. He went on to talk about how you can distinguish whether or not you really are a Christian. This was very interesting to me because this was the answer that I had been looking for. No one knew the excitement I felt as I listened to this youth leader talk. The more he spoke, the more questions I had were answered. I started to learn what it was all about to be Christian. It became more clear as to what I needed to do.

I sat there in my seat, anxiously waiting for the typical alter call. This tugging in my heart was so strong. I felt a presence come all over me, and it was just over taking me. I just knew God was calling me. He was the only one who knew what I was searching for, and He was the only one who could answer it. Through that message, He spoke to my heart. I finally had hope that I could be saved. But what was this tugging that I was feeling? Have you ever felt a longing for someone whom you haven't seen in such in a long time, that you miss? A pull to connect with someone whom you love? The urge to run to someone's arms when you are feeling distraught and need a shoulder to cry on? The need to call on your mom and dad for help? The longing just to be held by someone who you knew could protect you or that you felt secure with? Well, that's what that feeling was like, and I had never felt that before so strongly.

The time came when he gave the alter call, and I didn't hesitate to raise my hand. He then said, "If you are here, and you want to get saved, and know Jesus as your Lord and Savior, please come to the front." At that moment, I got up from my seat, and I felt as if I was floating to the front. It was like I was being carried or something. I knew that I was walking, but I don't remember walking, I just remember that it felt like I was floating. As soon as I got the front where they met me to pray, I began to weep like I had never done before. Tears ran down my cheeks as I stood there, shaking and praying. They led me through the sinner's prayer and I felt a heaviness come up off of me. I felt lighter and so much peace and love filled my spirit. I still can't explain it to the best of my ability. I just know that for the first time in my life, I felt loved. I knew that it was God, and that He welcomed me with open arms.

Things don't end there. That voice of condemnation started to speak again, "You know that when you leave here, you'll go back to the same lifestyle. You'll still drink, smoke and listen to your music. You aren't a changed person. Besides, look at where you live. How can you even begin to try to be a Christian in the midst of that?" I felt doubt trying to overtake my thoughts, so I started to pray.

At that moment they started to have Praise and Worship Service, where they sang and praised God. I didn't understand this. Where was the traditional hymns? The music sounded so wonderful! It was filled with such happiness, that I just couldn't believe how beautiful it sounded. I still didn't understand it, though, so I began to pray and ask God. Doubts started feeling my head again. A youth leader came over to me and began to pray. At that moment, I gracefully fell down to the ground, and my body began to tremble. No, I wasn't having a seizure, nor was I cold. It was the presence of God. I laid there, and all I could do was sing praise to God. I felt Him all over me. I tell you, I still can't explain the love that I felt, I just know that I could have laid there forever.

My body was still trembling and I felt as if there was electricy shooting through it. It was amazing! But what was happening? I asked myself these questions, and then the youth pastor leaned down to my ear, and began to whisper, "God is cleansing your soul. He is getting rid of all of the garbage that is left." I heard this, and I began to utter words to God. I began praying, but because I didn't know what to say, I uttered what my heart was saying. I started to weep again, but it was weeping of joy. Then that weeping soon turned to joyful laughter. I still felt God all over me, and then finally after about 30 minutes on the floor, the trembling stopped. I stood up, and I could feel a change in everything about me. Everything that I had once stood for, was in the past. Everything that had tried to destroy me could no longer touch me. I was suddenly so happy that the only way I could describe this happiness, was that I felt free. For the first time in my life, I felt so free that I could finally see hope for my future. Things finally started to make sense. God is real, and always was.

That was 10 years ago, and God is still changing me. He is awesome! Everyone is right, it takes the Holy Spirit's drawing to find Salvation, but you have to heed the call. Had I not heeded to the tugging that my heart felt for God, I would have missed everything that I just told you about my Salvation experience. God draws us with love, not condemnation. You have to realize that you are a sinner, but that Jesus died on the cross for those sins. Once you realize that you are sinner, then the door that Jesus is knocking on can finally be opened. The door He knocks on is your heart. You have to open your heart.

P.S. I took out my nose ring shortly after getting saved.
    …to be continued .. .. .. ..

July 17, 2013 at 5:06 AM Reply
  5. Nellie #

I do not remember how my wife became inhibited with this movement, but it did grow sometime in 2006. Even when we moved away from Green Bay, the Lakeland movement took her on the internet and she would watch it until 3 am. It got to the point where she disobeyed me, where I did not want her to go to Florida, and she went anyway. When she came back, she wanted to impart what Todd Bentley "placed on the audience.
    We moved back to NE Wisconsin in 2010 and she returned to the church where these manifestations took place. Many things went on that you already know, What she saw one night proved my point, and this led to my wife eventually leaving the movement. During one of this wild "laying on hands" conferences, a woman was laying on the floor after the leader laid hands on her. My wife and another woman were praying for this woman to no avail, and the LORD told my wife to get me, as I wanted no part and was in the foyer. As I came to pray over this woman, my wife noticed two people writing on their arms while watching her. As I began to pray over her, the people immediately left and the woman began to respond to prayer. My wife began to ask the LORD what they were doing and why were they there, if this was in the "presence of God?"
    With what I have heard I could not believe it was God. I could name a long list and many people have defended these Word of Faith personnel by twisting Scripture to meet their "belief." I am thankful she has seen the truth through a sermon from the late David Wilkerson. I could easily understand how people get into this. It avoids sin, repentance and holiness and no use admitting any conviction through the Holy Spirit of their lives. If you can't find problems, nor truly search for them, and admit faith needs to be tested, then people will become infallible to this message. Even during the Hybrids Revival, even the most devoted Christians cried mercy in His presence. Now it is signs.

July 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM Reply
    • Praise God that your wife finally seen the truth! Yes, part of the reason this movement is so prosperous because it invites people to participate in a spirituality apart from repentance and denial of self. That's why so many are drawn to it because, In the adulterous hearts of the people, they would rather seek a sign from God than accept the Word of God as proof of His Holy existence. 2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

But praise God that He is faithful in that He does not abandon us to this deception. Since we are His, He chastises us children until we submit to His will , and give up the idolatry that stole our hearts from Him.

Hebrews 12: 5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth..

John 8:32
      And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

1 John 1:9
      If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

July 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM Reply
  6. Hi, thanks for linking to my article about Todd Bentley. I've just read your article and totally agree. I am the same and used to follow all the big name preachers, but after a revelation about some of the false doctrines and spirits sweeping the Church right now, have started to investigate the real 'spirit' behind some of these ministries. Whilst there are many genuine and excellent Christian ministries out there (often the ones who don't have big shows or receive airtime), there is so much deception going on right now which is a fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Please have a read of my article on 'the 'Christian' pastors who use subtle occult symbolism.' It is often quite shocking. I salute you for standing up for the true Gospel of Christ for this is Biblical (Ephesians 5:11) and will steer many away from the apostasy. God bless you :)

July 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM Reply

I have friends still caught up in this stuff. Corissa I appreciate your testimony. It is really something else how eager we are to exalt ourselves and to think we are something when we are really nothing. So much so we desire to hold mens persons in admiration because of advantage Jude 1:16. The very ones we hold up, hold us up with honeyed words and wonders that lie and whisper in our ears we can be like God, we can be like the most high. We forget all too quickly the height from which we have fallen Matthew 5:48, a height which we will never attain and why we find ourselves at the mercy of God and desperate for His salvation and so filled with gratitude for this gift He freely gives REDEMPTION. For we were not redeemed with anything this world would value, Not with perishable gold or silver but with the LIFE GIVING BLOOD OF THE LAMB OF GOD, HE WHO CAME TO TAKE AWAY THE SINS OF THE WORLD. HE DID NOT COME OF HIS OWN ACCORD, HE WAS SENT WITH ALL AUTHORITY TO LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS ENEMIES and DESTROY THE WORK OF THE DEVIL, FREEING US FROM BONDAGE TO SIN AND DEATH and MAKING US ACCEPTABLE IN THE BELOVED. OH PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!

What is even more stark is our belief that somehow experiences can trump God's scripture. Who is the author of Scripture? is it not the Holy Spirit of Promise, the Counselor, the Mighty One, very God of very God. THE VERY ONE WITH WHOM WE ARE SEALED. How can we possibly think God will contradict Himself. He who alone is perfect. Forever Oh Lord your word is settled in Heaven Psalm 119: 89 and John 10:35 the scriptures cannot be broken. Matthew 5:17 -19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Oh may we head these precious life giving words and live by them and stop being a respecter of persons.

Oh GOD who alone is altogether Righteous and Holy may you grant us repentance from this madness we are caught up in and may we who Name you as Our Lord cling fast to you above all else. All else.

Proverbs 30:6 KJV
    Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Amen and Amen! And may His light so shine upon you in all Hope and Peace and may He who alone is able grant to us to walk in a manner worthy of Him unto His Glory and praise.

God bless.

July 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM Reply
  8. Maryjean #

Thank you for posting your testimony of freedom from lies Corissa.
    I have a friend who is into this stuff but very soon after I went and spent a few days with her she showed me her true colours of jealousy and spitefulness. I was shocked at her behaviour but thanks be to God He helped me survive the awfulness.

July 27, 2013 at 3:56 AM Reply