Amy is co-host and blogger for both Stand Up for the Truth and Naomi's Table, two ministries that give her the opportunity to write and talk about Jesus all day long. She has written, produced and broadcast in the realm of television and radio news, magazine business journals and marketing materials. She continues her freelance work as a writer and social media consultant.

BYU Newspaper reports Interfaith discussion with AOG Superintendent

” God is playing a role in all religions and that Christians are more united than they sometimes think.” (From BYU news report, below)

The question is, united around what? Around which God? The eternal Christ that Christians worship, or the created being whose brother is Lucifer?

Check out a helpful chart comparing Christianity with Mormonism: What do Mormons believe?

Yes, some strange things have been happening with the Assemblies’ top leadership these past few months.  Last month at the Assemblies of God “Believe” Conference, leadership brought in New Age Contemplative key player Ruth Haley Barton.  Top leadership ignored the warnings and pleas of even ordained AOG ministers, but to no avail.

And now, according to a report from Brigham Young University, it gives the appearance the AOG Superintendent is joining hands to find common ground with top Mormon leaders at BYU. Maybe that’s not the case. Perhaps he was there to evangelize and share the truth about the real Christ, and that we can know who He is through the Bible, and not the revelation that Joseph Smith had in the Book of Mormon. But if that is the case, then it does not appear that this message was heard by those writing about the event.  According to the campus newsletter, the Assembly of God’s George O. Wood, addressed hundreds of BYU students and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of  “the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles” on Monday.

The paper reports that the Quorum of the Twelve sponsored the lecture for its Faith, Family, and Society series:

Wood

The Assembly of God’s CEO, George O. Wood, addressed hundreds of BYU students and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Monday.

A recent push by the Quorum of the Twelve to promote religious freedom has led to much interfaith discussion and many opportunities, including this second lecture of the Faith, Family, and Society series.

Before Wood took the stage, Professor Andrew Skinner, of the Department of Ancient Scripture, introduced Wood as a man of incredible faith and devotion.

“You can feel the Spirit of God with him when you shake his hand,” Skinner said.

Wood shared his lifelong spiritual journey and ministry as a member of the Assembly of God. He gave a brief history of the Assembly of God’s origin in the early 1900s, including the receiving of the gift of tongues. He spent time drawing parallel’s between Latter-day Saints and the Assembly of God.

“Like the LDS we were a very marginalized minority, and even persecuted,” Wood said. “We had preachers that were tarred and feathered and driven out of town because we had this experience that others didn’t understand.”

Elder Holland sat on the stage, listening intently and laughing at the humorous and touching experiences Wood shared.

Wood spoke of an experience he had two years earlier with Elder Holland at a conference in Utah. In response to a question from Wood, Elder Holland expressed that his greatest worry about the young generation was that they would grow coarse to the values and principles taught by Jesus Christ.Wood and elder

“His response immediately bonded my heart to him,” Wood said. “Any Assembly of God preacher could say the same thing. We just absolutely share that in common.”

Wood expressed that the Assembly of God’s 66 million members test out their faith just like Latter-day Saints do. He urged the audience to seek a strong faith through diligent study of the scriptures.

“The question for me in college became, ‘Is experience enough to carry me through?’” Wood said. “I had to have a stronger, intellectual foundation for my faith.”

Wood showed that God is playing a role in all religions and that Christians are more united than they sometimes think.

“The whole aspect of the Christian faith, and my personal faith, rests upon whether or not Jesus Christ rose again from the dead,” Wood said.

Source

Announcement

Yes, Mormonism does teach that Jesus rose from the dead, but it’s important to understand that Mormonism and Christianity are two vastly different faiths, even though Mormons do study the Bible.

HAT TIP: James J. F.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “BYU Newspaper reports Interfaith discussion with AOG Superintendent”

1. This does not surprise me in the least. George Wood is a major promoter of Rick Warren who thinks Mormons are just another Christian denomination.
    Here is just one of my post/articles on the AOG (they seize churches properties, bank accounts, and will sue a local church if they don't turn them over):

Blessings,
    James

September 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM Reply
  2. Jake #

The article is pretty short and of course paints the picture that George Wood was positive towards the Mormon faith (it's the school newspaper…). I'd like to hear the podcast or see a transcript, because there's not much to go on within the article, which tells me there wasn't much to quote George Wood on (that would be favorable towards the LDS and BYU).

The writer did say that George Wood "urged the audience to seek a strong faith through diligent study of the scriptures." I'd like to hear more about that, since George Wood would've been talking about the Christian Scriptures (not the Book of Mormon or the Pearl of Great Price).

The quote under the title of this Stand Up For The Truth article ("God is playing a role in all religions and that Christians are more united than they sometimes think") makes it sound like it was something George Wood said, but it's a quote from the writer of the BYU article…not George Wood. Just an observation.

Like I said above – I'd like to listen to the podcast or see a full transcript, because this BYU article is thin to say the least. But I'm sure that won't stop many from drawing huge conclusions and making blanket statements based on it.

September 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM Reply
    • Jake #

The "(From BYU news report, below)" wasn't there originally…I guess that issue was reported by someone else before me and rectified by the Stand Up For The Truth staff. Thanks!

September 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM Reply
  3. Jake #

Thanks for adding the statement:

"Perhaps he was there to evangelize and share the truth about the real Christ, and that we can know who He is through the Bible, and not the revelation that Joseph Smith had in the Book of Mormon. But if that is the case, then it does not appear that this message was heard by those writing about the event."

It helps to put the article in context a little.

Hopefully you'll provide a link to the mp3 of George Wood's address before too long. That'll be a better source of what really happened than the Mormon BYU's school newspaper…

September 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM Reply
  4. Pastor Paul #

Is this "Stand Up for the Truth" or "Stand Up for the Opinion"? At least Wood accepted the invitation to share and did not coward from it. Instead he decided to "Stand Up For The Truth!" Something that this "show" has not done in this case anyway. As far as I know "Stand Up For The Truth" has never been invited to Brigham Young University or any other university for that matter. Maybe you should get the truth before you speculate – but than again that wouldn't create division in the church. Here's an idea: find out what the truth is first before spreading rumors (also known as lies). You would think that a show with your title would know better.

September 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM Reply
    • lyn #

What exactly did Mr. Wood share Pastor Paul? Mormonism is not biblical, nor will those who adhere to its teachings enter into God's kingdom

September 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM Reply
      • Jake #

That's the question…we can't tell from this very thin article by a BYU student trying to promote the idea that Mormonism is a branch of Christianity.

Yes – Mormonism is not Biblical or remotely Christian. What I want to know is what George Wood actually said at BYU, before jumping to conclusions. Was he there to declare to the world that he and the A/G support Mormonism? Or was he trying to make the best of an invitation to speak by challenging the students to "diligent study of the scriptures" (not the Book of Mormon).

I guess we'll find out soon enough. I suspect he'll make a statement about all this today or tomorrow and there may even be an mp3 of the address in the end…we'll see.

September 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM Reply
        • He has been contacted and a recording of the event has been requested. We will pass it along if it happens…

September 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM Reply
  5. Jake #

This was posted on the A/G Credentialed Minister's FB Page as a response from George Wood about all this –

It was my privilege and opportunity to speak with students last week at Brigham Young University on my faith and family. For those who may have questions regarding my appearance at BYU and meetings with some in the LDS leadership, let me provide some context.

In the greater Salt Lake City area there is an evangelical association called Standing Together. It’s comprised of approximately 100 evangelical churches that in recent years have been reaching out in friendship to LDS leaders and members. Our Assemblies of God pastors and churches in Salt Lake City are involved in Standing Together. Such contacts have produced an openness not previously experienced. Just two weeks before me, Dr. Richard Land, president of Southern Theological Seminary in Charlotte, spoke at BYU. Two weeks after me, Dr. Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, will speak at BYU. And, it is my understanding that Ravi Zacharias has been invited to return to preach at the Mormon Tabernacle early next year. He has done so previously.

Two years ago the National Association of Evangelicals held a meeting in Salt Lake City. At that time, Standing Together arranged a meeting with approximately 125 or so of us in the governor’s mansion for an address by a top LDS leader, Dr. Jeffrey Holland. That resulted in a conversation and friendship between him and me that ultimately led to my being invited to speak at BYU and also have opportunity to meet with several LDS leaders and a few members of the BYU Law School and Religious Education faculties regarding common concerns: religious liberty, how to work effectively to resist the cultural and secular pressures to push persons of faith out of the public square, the increasing coarseness within secular culture and the pressure that exerts on youth; as well as issues related to abortion, homosexuality, same-sex marriage, and end of life concerns.

I was invited to speak to BYU students on the subject of Faith and Family. There were no restrictions on what I could say. One of the key leaders, knowing my personal testimony, requested that I speak on this subject. Students were not required to attend and gave up their lunch hour to do so. About 400 students crammed into every seat in the auditorium, and the overflow room – twice the size of the auditorium – also filled up with students. For 45 minutes, I spoke freely about how the Pentecostal Movement came to be, how the Assemblies of God arose out of that Movement, how my parents became AG missionaries, miracles in my family including my Dad (through the intercessory prayer of my mother) who was spared from poisoning by Tibetans on the mission field and my sister being healed of near blindness when she was 18. I told how during a revival at Central Bible College she had a vision of Christ on the cross, reached to take blood from the cross to apply to her eyes, but in actual reality took her glasses off and flung them across the platform. When she came out of the vision, she had perfect sight. I talked freely about the Baptism in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues. I went on then to share my experience of faith, and ended by noting that faith is not subjective but is based on the objective reality of Jesus Christ risen from the dead. The students listened in rapt attention and when I was finished, gave a prolonged ovation. I leave the results to the Lord.

I’m providing for you a quote from one of our AG pastors, Ray Smith, pastor of Salt Lake Christian Center. He was in the audience at BYU.
    ———
    Dr. Wood,
    Thank you so much for your lecture that I was privileged to attend. Your message obviously led by the Holy Spirit was exceptional. I cannot help but intercede for the hundreds of students that were able to hear you talk in their language (Story, Family and Faith) as if you were talking to a group of CBC students. Telling your story of your search for truth and the markers of faith that influence your decisions is, (in my opinion) exactly what they needed to hear. Theology with a personal narrative is so compelling to LDS students. I know that we will see fruit in eternity from your willingness to go out of the box and into the marketplace of the Mormon faith.
    ———-
    The Executive Leadership Team and the Executive Presbytery have been kept fully informed and have approved my willingness to establish these contacts and relationships. I do not pretend to know what the Holy Spirit might be doing within the LDS leadership, but I do believe the Spirit opened this door.

There is much more I could say, but those who trust my leadership will know that I would not have opened this door except the Spirit and our leaders “bade me go.” For those who do not trust my leadership, probably nothing I say will suffice and I simply leave that to the Lord.

There was a release from BYU that some are quoting and I close with reference to that. On the whole the release summarized well my visit, closing with this quote from me, “The whole aspect of the Christian faith, and my personal faith, rests upon whether or not Jesus Christ rose again from the dead.”

There are two brief references in the BYU release that require my clarification.

First, there was no interfaith discussion with the students. The leadership of BYU placed no restrictions on my message to the students and I freely shared about my faith and family. I did have private discussions with several in LDS leadership regarding the differences that separate us doctrinally; but also we discussed where we could work together within the public square on religious liberty and issues of morality.

Second, the BYU release quoted me as saying that “God is playing a role in all religions and that Christians are more united than they sometimes think.” While I do believe that the Holy Spirit is seeking to draw all persons to Jesus, I did not state what was attributed to me, but I do believe that there is common ground on issues facing our country and culture that we can stand united on. If evangelicals, Roman Catholics, LDS and others can stand together on issues of marriage as between a man and woman, right to life, and religious freedom – our country and culture will be better for it.

Finally, I must say that all within the LDS community treated me with utmost kindness and respect. One of their senior leaders said to me, “America needs the Assemblies of God.” I believe that was said most sincerely. I love and pray for the friends I have made within the LDS community over these past two years. I live, pray, and witness in expectation that we will live to see the prophecy of Pentecost fulfilled, that in these last days the Spirit will be poured out on all.

September 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM Reply
    • Fantastic, Jake, thanks for sharing. I will incorporate it into the story and repost this on Facebook. Do you have a link where I can find this? Thanks!

September 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM Reply
      • Jake #

I don't. It was passed on to me. You can find the A/G credentialed ministers FB page and go from there though. It's a closed group…I requested to join. Hopefully this response will pop up in other places you can link to.

September 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM Reply
        • Let me know if you see it elsewhere, or if you can get into the group. I couldn't find it anywhere, so the closed group makes sense.

September 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM Reply
        • Jake (and others), I did find this today. It is a response from a pastor who is greatly concerned with Mr. Wood's group, "Standing Together."

Please let me know your thoughts on this:

<header> </header><header>My Response to George Wood’s Explanation of Involvement with the LDS
          <div>by <a title="View all posts by C.H. Fisher" href="http://www.truthkeepers.com/?author=1&quot; rel="author" rel="nofollow">C.H. Fisher</div>
          </header>

While I applaud all efforts to evangelize Mormons, I do not believe that Dr. George Wood (General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God) engaged in such an effort when he spoke to Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and BYU students. I read his explanation of involvement carefully several times. In my opinion his words do not match reality. While he claims to have been led by the Holy Spirit, the Mormons perceived his words to be favorable to the point of endorsement. A case in point is the article in BYU’s online magazine, The Digital Universe, concluding that Dr. Woods inferred, God is playing a role in all religions and that Christians are more united than they sometimes think. Dr. Wood erroneously stated that the release attributed the statement to him. Instead, it was the perception of his speech by Mormons. Further evidence of Dr. Wood’s effect on the Mormons is evidenced by Professor Andrew Skinner of the Department of Ancient Scripture that remarked, You can feel the Spirit of God with him when you shake his hand. For one to recognize or feel a kindred spirit in someone filled with the Spirit of God, he would need to be indwelt by the same Spirit. Dr. Wood also said of Mormon elder Jeffery Holland, His response immediately bonded my heart to him. What impression were the Mormons actually receiving from Dr. Wood?

It is clear that what Mormons were feeling in Dr. Wood was not the Spirit of God, but a spirit of comradely acceptance, cooperation, and social ecumenism. Dr. Wood states as much when he declares that he met with several LDS leaders and a few members of the BYU Law School and Religious Education faculties regarding common concerns: religious liberty, how to work effectively to resist the cultural and secular pressures to push persons of faith out of the public square, the increasing coarseness within secular culture and the pressure that exerts on youth; as well as issues related to abortion, homosexuality, same-sex marriage, and end of life concerns. This opportunity manifested after Dr. Wood and a number of evangelicals met in the Utah governor’s mansion for an address by a top LDS leader. Dr. Wood goes on to state, If evangelicals, Roman Catholics, LDS and others can stand together on issues of marriage as between a man and woman, right to life, and religious freedom – our country and culture will be better for it. That may or may not be true, but will Mormons be better for this unity by social gospel? Will the millions of professing Christians that they proselytize be better for it? Will the kingdom of God be better for it? To all those questions I answer with a resounding “no”. To believe otherwise is to focus on the temporal rather than the eternal perspective.

God did not call His church to unite and consort with cults (or pagans) to save the world from the consequences of the fall. He did not instruct us to join with diabolical people to build a better society. He called us to expose their works of darkness and reveal the path to deliverance through Jesus Christ. Sadly, it appears that Dr. Wood has done more to validate Mormonism than he has to expose it as a dangerous and extremely deceptive cult. By his gregarious and unabashed courting of their cooperation on social issues, he has marginalized their heresy and to a great extent elevated them to a degree of equality with Christianity. Many AoG members may fall victim to their evangelism as a result of this validation. They will not be able to discern Dr. Wood’s intent. All they will know is that he favored Mormonism with his title and office.

In my opinion, the interfaith (another term for ecumenism) agenda of Standing Together, the group Dr. Wood associates with, is no different than what the heretical Emergent Church is engaged in. The vision of Standing Together is: Advancing Biblical Unity and Spiritual Transformation in Utah. In their values section, they state: We affirm that there is one Church in Utah that meets in various locations. When churches love and pray for one another, our witness for Christ is credible and effective. Unprecedented unity will contribute to healthier local churches and transformed lives by the thousands. Spiritual Transformation is a pagan system of beliefs and practices that is invading Christianity at an alarming rate. It has been touted by New Age and professing Christian leaders as the bridge that unites all religions. They also claim to have a biblical basis for what they call Interfaith Dialogue, but the link was inactive. It is clear from the Scriptures that God wants us to evangelize the lost properly, not to assemble with and form alliances with them. He commands us to expose the unfruitful works of darkness, not gloss over their heresy and sins with warm bonding words of empathy and communion. A true interfaith dialogue begins with distinguishing the difference between light and darkness. Such a dialogue must present the Gospel of Christ Jesus that calls people out of darkness into His marvelous light.

In closing his response, Dr, Wood commended the Mormons for their kindness and respect. He also presented a statement by Pastor Ray Smith who commended him for speaking in their language (Story, Faith, and Family). Their language? I must inform Pastor Smith that true Christians have the same if not greater affinity for story, faith, and family. In fact, true Christians have a much better quality of faith because our God is the true and only God. We have a better family because true Christains love our wives as the true Christ loves the church. We have a better story, the greatest story ever told, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. On the other hand, Mormonism is an example of delusional obeisance to a heretical con artist and one of the worst family men in modern religion, Joseph Smith. Further, I could not under any circumstances agree to uniting with them on the issues of religious liberty when they hold millions captive in spiritual bondage. I could not in good conscience join them on issues of morality when they have no compunction about spreading a deadly deception that has resulted in multitudes entering eternity unsaved. To do so is an indication of how weak and non-discerning many professing Christians have become.

In conclusion, I believe that it is obvious the Holy Spirit was not involved in this event. After two years of involvement with Mormons, Dr. Wood has made some dear friends, bonded with LDS leaders, won their respect, and incited them to believe that they have achieved one of their major goals, acceptance by mainstream Christianity. One could hobnob with a group of atheists in the same manner, speak at their conference, and leave them with the same impression. It all adds up to one thing, i.e., there was no conviction by the Holy Spirit at that meeting. However, Dr. Wood claims that he was led by the Holy Spirit. I find it difficult to believe that a group of people immersed in great darkness, deceived and most likely possessed by demons, would feel comfortable, accepted by, and a kinship with the Holy Spirit. I also doubt that the Holy Spirit would pass up an opportunity to convict such a group of their lostness and bondage. Conviction is the primary work of the Holy Spirit.

And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment: (John 16:8 NKJV)

Although sinners may feel a Christian’s love, acceptance, and compassion for them, they will also feel conviction. I do not believe that it is possible to be anointed by the Holy Spirit without sinners being convicted. Further, I do not believe it is possible for a Spirit-filled believer to speak to a group of deceived and delusional sinners without his or her words being anointed unless the believer has somehow quenched the Holy Spirit. If ones agenda is to gain respect, cause people to feel comfortable and accepted, and to establish a bond of friendship and communion, there will be no conviction in that one’s words. In fact, that agenda is carried out by thousands of Christian preachers every Sunday morning. Some of them, such as Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, Judah Smith, and other pastors of mega churches, are masters of speaking without a hint of conviction. They convert a great number of followers, not of Christ, but of them. Accolades from sinners after one speaks are the hallmark of a dead message, enticing words of man’s wisdom, lacking the demonstration of the Holy Spirit and power.

Dr. Wood apparently believes that he was led by the Holy Spirit to spend two years with an Emergent group currying the favor of the LDS. But remember, this is the same Dr. Wood that invited a New Age guru, Ruth Haley Barton, to speak at the General Council. He is the same AoG leader that promotes Spiritual Formation and its deadly heresy Contemplative Prayer. It is the same Dr. Wood that supports Emergent heretic Rick Warren. This is the Dr. Wood that engineered and ensconced into the AoG an ecumenical agreement with the Roman Catholic Church. Now he joins with an ecumenical/interfaith group to socialize with and give validity to Mormonism. In my opinion, Dr. Wood is in lockstep with the Emergent Church Movement and will continue to carrying out what he believes is God’s agenda to turn the AoG into the largest New Age denomination in the world. His clever response will be sufficient for individuals that need only the skin of a reason to continue supporting him. For the ones that discern by the Holy Spirit, it falls well short of an adequate explanation.

See also:

Can Christians and Mormons Stand Together?
          AoG General Superintendent George Wood Validates Mormonism
          Standing Together or Falling Away?
          <a title="Permanent Link to SBC'S RICHARD LAND SAYS MORMONISM FOURTH ABRAHAMIC FAITH" href="http://apprising.org/2010/08/31/sbcs-richard-land-says-mormonism-fourth-abrahamic-faith/&quot; rel="bookmark" rel="nofollow">SBC'S RICHARD LAND SAYS MORMONISM FOURTH ABRAHAMIC FAITH

September 29, 2013 at 2:06 AM Reply
          • lyn #

Excellent find!

All this reminds me of Pink's article on the Gospel of Satan, in it he states –

"The gospel of Satan is not a system of revolutionary principles, nor yet a program of anarchy. It does not promote strife and war, but aims at peace and unity. It seeks not to set the mother against her daughter nor the father against his son, but fosters the fraternal, spirit whereby the human race is regarded as one great "brotherhood". It does not seek to drag down the natural man, but to improve and uplift him. It advocates education and cultivation and appeals to "the best that is within us". It aims to make this world such a congenial and comfortable habitat that Christ’s absence from it will not be felt and God will not be needed. It endeavors to occupy man so much with this world that he has no time or inclination to think of the world to come. It propagates the principles of self-sacrifice, charity and benevolence, and teaches us to live for the good of others, and to be kind to all. It appeals strongly to the carnal mind and is popular with the masses, because it ignores the solemn facts that by nature man is a fallen creature, alienated from the life of God, and dead in trespasses and sins, and that his only hope lies in being born again.

In contradistinction to the Gospel of Christ, the gospel of Satan teaches salvation by works. It inculcates justification before God on the ground of human merits. Its sacramental phrase is "Be good and do good"; but it fails to recognize that in the flesh there dwelleth no good thing. It announces salvation by character, which reverses the order of God’s Word—character by, as the fruit of, salvation. Its various ramifications and organizations are manifold. Temperance, Reform movements, "Christian Socialist Leagues", ethical culture societies, "Peace Congresses" are all employed (perhaps unconsciously) in proclaiming this gospel of Satan—salvation by works. The pledge-card is substituted for Christ; social purity for individual regeneration, and politics and philosophy for doctrine and godliness. The cultivation of the old man is considered more practical" than the creation of a new man in Christ Jesus; whilst universal peace is looked for apart from the interposition and return of the Prince of Peace.

The apostles of Satan are not saloon-keepers and white slave traffickers, but are or the most part ordained ministers. Thousands of those who occupy our modern pulpits are no longer engaged in presenting the fundamentals of the Christian Faith, but have turned aside from the Truth and have given heed unto fables. Instead of magnifying the enormity of sin and setting forth its eternal consequences, they minimize it by declaring that sin is merely ignorance or the absence of good. Instead of warning their hearers to "flee from the wrath to come" they make God a liar by declaring that He is too loving and merciful to send any of His own creatures to eternal torment."
            A.W. Pink, from pbministries DOT org/books/pink/Miscellaneous/gospel_of_satan DOT htm

September 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM
  6. Pastor Paul #

And that is what I am talking about! Thank you Jake!

September 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Reply
  7. lyn #

" I do believe that there is common ground on issues facing our country and culture that we can stand united on. If evangelicals, Roman Catholics, LDS and others can stand together on issues of marriage as between a man and woman, right to life, and religious freedom – our country and culture will be better for it." quote from Dr. Wood

The only thing that will change society is proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Things are not going to get any better, we aren't called to any form of dominionist-type belief. Embracing false religions for the 'common good' of society will do nothing to advance the Gospel of Christ. This is wrong and not biblical at all, it only presents a sort of 'warm fuzzy' type of Christianity.
    We aren't called to defend laws, we are called to give the only hope an unregenerate sinner has, the Gospel. Only the word of God can change a sin-hardened heart. The RCC doesn't even proclaim the biblical gospel, nor does the LDS! So we are supposed to embrace that which is false for the common good of mankind? I think not.

September 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM Reply
    • Amen to that, Lyn. The Bible says the world will get progressively worse, but the hope we have is in sharing the full Gospel, based on the Truth of the Bible.

September 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM Reply
    • Sheldon #

Lyn,

Based on the subject matter concerning the Assemblies of God (AOG), I'm a little confused by your article you posted. Are you implying from your article, "Pink's article on the Gospel of Satan", that those who are affiliated or ordained minister's of the AOG are really just "apostles of Satan"? Maybe I'm a little confused, but that's how I read your article. Could you share your thoughts?

October 1, 2013 at 5:41 AM Reply
      • lyn #

The article from Pink is a warning, as Pink so aptly states 'The apostles of Satan are not saloon-keepers and white slave traffickers, but are or the most part ordained ministers.'
        I am seeing more and more professing Christians defend their denomination, or their favorite preacher/leader/pastor, regardless of biblical error. It seems loyalty is to man, and not Christ. Unity is the theme, regardless of the false teachings of the dead religions one seeks to unite with.

If your church, regardless of it's denominational affiliation, preaches half-truths, then Pink's article applies to your church. If your church embraces apostasy, then you need to leave that church. If your church leads you down the road to universalism, you need to leave. If your church and its leader[s] are given a platform to profess the truth in an apostate setting, and they do NOT, you need to leave that church.
        The Apostle Paul warns in 2 Corinthians 6:17-18 "Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty." In his commentary, Matthew Henry warns "There is a great deal of danger in communicating with unbelievers and idolators, danger of being defiled and of being rejected; therefore the exhortation is to come out from among them, and keep at a due distance, to be separate, as one would avoid the society of those who have the leprosy or the plague, for fear of taking infection, and not to touch the unclean thing, lest we be defiled. Who can touch pitch, and not be defiled by it? We must take care not to defile ourselves by converse with those who defile themselves with sin". The Mormons believe in a different 'god' than the God of the Bible, they worship a false 'god' – this is idolatry.

To embrace Mormonism is to defile oneself. To NOT speak out against their unbiblical teachings with the truth is to defile oneself. Woe to those who seek to please man and hear their praises.
        "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

October 1, 2013 at 6:26 AM Reply
        • Sheldon #

Interesting that you should quote Matthew Henry. I just read on this discernment ministry website http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/matthew_hen… that Matthew Henry was a Heretic.

Secondly, if we don't talk to "Lost people", how can we win them to Christ. As I read my Bible, I see that Jesus got in trouble for the same thing, (Mark 2:16) "But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, "Why does he eat with such scum?"

Thirdly, I would really like your opinion, since you put out the "Pink" article on the topic of the AOG. Do you believe that those AOG Ministers who would support George Wood are really just "Apostles of Satan?"

Thanks!

October 1, 2013 at 6:56 AM Reply
  8. To see what the Assemblies of God Denomination is really up to, see this CBS TV News Story of a hijacking of one their church properties and lawsuit:

September 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM Reply
  9. Sheldon #

Not sure why my thoughts keep getting edited (deleted)?

September 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM Reply
  10. Becky #

BYU and AOG partnering is no big deal. Neither are Christian.

October 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM Reply
  11. Sheldon #

Becky, Is it your belief that since those who are in the AOG Denomination are NOT Christian…that they are going to Hell? I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were trying to say.

October 1, 2013 at 5:15 AM Reply
  12. lyn #

I would avoid that website like the plague. It is not of God. According to their 'standards' everyone is a heretic.

As for your statement, 'if we don't talk to lost people, how can we win them to Christ'; first of all, talking to the lost is not what saves them. Second of all, we save no one. The power to save comes from God, through the preaching of the Gospel {see Romans 1:16}.
    As for Mark 2:16, Christ eating with sinners does NOT mean He embraced false religion, nor does it mean He did not give them the truth, for if you read one verse down, you see Christ stating He came to call 'the sick'…sinners. Read the verse in its context…
    And it *happened that He was reclining at the table in his house, and many tax collectors and sinners were dining with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many of them, and they were following Him. When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that He was eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they said to His disciples, "Why is He eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners?" And hearing this, Jesus *said to them, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Notice, these sinners were drawn to Christ, they 'followed Him'. The text does not say why, so we dare not add any more to it. It was the followers of a false religion, the Pharisees, who sought to catch the Lord doing 'wrong' so they may have reason to accuse Him. That was the point of showing Him eating with what the self righteous deemed to be the lowest of the low, the defiled, by their man-made traditions and standards.
    Nowhere does the text state these 'sinners' were teaching their false religion to Christ, so it is presumptuous to assume this setting compares to the setting of Dr. Wood and the known false teachings of the Mormons. You are using poor hermeneutics to try and make the text you supplied say something it does not say.

It matters little what my opinion is, what do the Scriptures say? I have already stated, compare what is taught with what the word of God says. If Dr. Wood embraces a false religion, he is to be shunned. By NOT addressing the false teachings of Mormonism, or presenting the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Dr. Wood has proved himself to be one who 'loves the praises of men'. We are to separate from that which is false, regardless of denomination; this is not a choice, it is a command.

October 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM Reply
  13. eph #

Between this and the pope's recent tripling down on universalism, Antichrist's one world church has been making strides in recent days.

October 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM Reply
  14. Aaron #

I am a life long member of the Assemblies of God, in fact my grandfather is an ordained minister in the Assemblies of God. This disturbs me greatly.

October 5, 2013 at 4:55 AM Reply
    • Aaron, I can certainly understand how uneasy you must feel about this. We mean no disrespect to the organization or even to Mr. Wood. The affiliation with BYU that his Standing Together organization has is something we do need to take into question though. Unfortunately Mr. Wood's explanation only creates more questions and confusion among the followers of Christ, and communicates to the Mormon students that they have no need to repent or come out of a false religion.

October 7, 2013 at 5:22 AM Reply
  15. Aaron #

Go to the A/G website, and check out the beliefs of the Assemblies of God. Our beliefs line up to the Bible, 100%. I have been a member of the Assemblies of God my entire life.

October 5, 2013 at 4:57 AM Reply
    • lyn #

Here again we see an allegiance and loyalty to a denomination. People defend their church, but that's not what we are called to do is it? We are called to lay down our all, even our own life if need be, for Jesus Christ and Him alone. There is no mandate to defend a denomination.
      What harm is there in defending your own denomination? For starters, if the leaders of that denomination say or do questionable words and actions, you cannot defend that. You must defend the word of God only. Dr. Wood never spoke out against the false teachings of the Mormon church, and yet the A/G see nothing wrong with that, why? Because your loyalty is NOT to Christ, but to your man-made denomination. Sola Scriptura should be the battle cry of Christ's church; a church made up of His elect from every tongue, tribe, and nation.
      How sinful it is to embrace your leaders, as they embrace false religions, and defend them. Why isn't anybody within the A/G calling out their CEO for his sin? Why aren't they questioning his NOT speaking out biblically against the false teachings of the Mormon church? Instead, they come here and defend their denomination and try to justify the embracing of a dead religion. The Lord God detests idolatry, worshiping any other 'god' besides Him is a grievous sin, and a breaking of His commandment. To be in the midst of false religion and given a platform to stand on and speak out against it, just as Dr Wood was given…and choose to remain SILENT is horrific. Instead, he chose to compare 'similarities'; what does the word of God have in common with false religion? Not one thing, there are NO similarities in the true church of Christ and that of Satan. For when you take God's truth and add to or take from it…it is no longer truth, nor is it of God.

October 5, 2013 at 5:28 AM Reply
  16. Kal #

I agree that we must open doors and conversation to those lost to a cult and false religion, but if we do not tell them or show them what they believe is a lie, then we have done nothing to save them from Hell.

We are not on common ground with Mormons or any other religion. Like the Bible says about the foolish man that built his house upon the sand; these people in other religions have no foundation. To say they suffered like the early AOG is wrong. AOG people suffered for truth. Mormons suffered because of their lies, murders, and breaking all laws. No comparison.

The main goal of Mormons and Mormonism right now, is to make others believe they are Christian and that they believe everything the Bible says. The are trying to go mainstream Christian, but they will always be a cult and will teach falsely.to infiltrate other denominations as the goal to bring others into their fold.

Yes, we must love them, but teach them the truth. They are in darkness, so there is no fellowship with them. They will always embrace their books and their people will not read the Bible. Until they are delivered from the false religion and receive Christ as Lord, nothing will change.

If George O. Wood and others want to speak in their pagan temples, then do so speaking the truth. Do it wholeheartedly and without fear, for God will prevail. However, if they do it for notoriety or befriend the lost for friendship sake, then they are shaking hands with the devil without thought for the soul.

October 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM Reply
    • eph #

Rick Warren just posed for a huggy Twitter pic with his pal, Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens, a devout Muslim who – if push came to shove – would honor Allah by killing Warren if he refused to convert or pay the jizya, just as Stevens said Salman Rushdie deserved to die for faithlessness. Warren, on the other hand, evidently believes Stevens is spiritually fine just the way he is. No surprise there, as Warren is on video not sharing Christ with the lost when he had clear opportunities to do so (check youtube).

The pope has now said on three occasions people can get to God just by following their consciences and doing what they think is right.

Combine all that with this story, as well as the ever-growing socio-political alliance between conservatives of all religious stripes and gods, yoking themselves together in common political cause with no thought of contradictory gospels or contradictory Christs.

The one world church of Antichrist is starting to form right before our eyes.

October 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Reply
  17. Krisztina #

Hey, I e-mailed BYU and AG as well. No audio has been released! BYU says it was Wood's wish, AG says it was up to BYU to release it.. Smells fishy :)

October 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM Reply
  18. Keith #

Folks – I am a person who was raised a proactive Catholic, expanded my walk in Christ in a couple Protestant denominations and invariably later on in non-denoms and today I exercise my faith in the LDS faith.
    My concern is that the paradigm perpetuated about the Mormon faith does not jibe with the actual experience. Our Savior, has said that by their fruits you will know them.
    My conversion has not been a singular experience or an epiphany of sorts but rather an accumulation of all the good contributed to me along the way that comprises the ever expanding sum total of the person my Father in Heaven is developing.
    I can tell you without ambiguity or evasion that the notion that the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not Christian is incorrect and untrue.
    I can testify that the experience has legitimately increased my personal conquest, my habitual walk with God and the love and understanding I feel, through Christ's tender mercies, have increased ME as a son of my Father in Heaven. I can say this having had the benefit of experience and would promote that we all increase our understanding on the matter personally.
    I belive that the adversary smiles when he creates greater divisions not among religions but among God's children. Particularly those who legitimately desire and then strive to feel the embrace of Heaven in their lives.

I would hope that all people of all Christian persuasions that profess to love God and have been touched in varying degrees by the Atonement of our beloved Savior Jesus Christ in their lives would open their hearts and minds to the pure love of Christ.
    I pray we can all focus our efforts more completely in establishing the kingdom of God upon the earth by literally and unconditionally learning to love others who wherever they may be on the ladder of spiritual growth legitimately strive to draw near to God in the sincerity of their walk. Lest we forget that Jesus came to build the bridge for all through his great sacrifice.
    I pray we may not invest our lives in diminishing the body (wherever it may be) but rather encouraging and uplifting those that yearn to draw near to our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ. That we may be more faithful in our approach, and succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees and build our understanding as we serve those that stand in need.
    I hope that our hearts may be softened and our understanding increased and that we may always keep in remembrance how much our father in heaven loves EACH of His children w/out exceptions.
    Please accept this posting and my love and appreciation to all my brothers and sisters in Christ, in the spirit in which it is intended and may God bless each of us with a spirit of unconditional love, kindness and ever-increasing understanding.

December 3, 2013 at 3:48 AM Reply
    • Joe #

Keith,

All the talk of ecumenism so popular these days ignores but does not change a very simple and stark fact: If two or more people have contradictory, incompatible gospels – and most people posting here do – then either all of us are wrong or only one of us is right with God, the rest being condemned right where they stand.

Given that fact – and barring universalistic nonsense, it IS a fact – all talk of "we're all Christians" is not merely meaningless, it's spiritually dangerous. Just food for thought.

December 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM Reply
  19. Joe #

Edit for clarity:

Talk of “we’re all Christians” is not merely meaningless, it’s spiritually dangerous because God is not the author of confusion. We CANNOT all be Christians – meaning "in Christ" – because everyone disagrees on precisely what He did for us and on precisely what we're supposed to do about it. That means SOMEONE is wrong.

I sincerely wish it were otherwise but that's just the way it is.

December 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM Reply