Amy is co-host and blogger for both Stand Up for the Truth and Naomi's Table, two ministries that give her the opportunity to write and talk about Jesus all day long. She has written, produced and broadcast in the realm of television and radio news, magazine business journals and marketing materials. She continues her freelance work as a writer and social media consultant.

The New Covenant in Christ’s Atonement

Capture

When we hear teachings like,”God doesn’t keep score and I’m free, so why should I worry about keeping His commandments,” we need to lovingly correct this misunderstanding of the Law and the Gospel. Likewise we must set it straight when we hear teachings telling us we must still observe the Hebrew festivals and keep the rules of the Pharisees (we can’t) in order to be worthy of salvation (we aren’t).

Here are some Scripture verses on the New Covenant vs. the old.  There are many more, but we thought we’d open up the discussion by sharing what God has to say about this:

Jeremiah 31:31-34
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Hebrews 8:13
”In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.”

Luke 22:20
“And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, ‘This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.’”

Romans 7:6
But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 8:1-39
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “The New Covenant in Christ’s Atonement”

1. D.G #

I cant find any answer to the question put to me by a messianic jew: ' If the old ceremonial law has been made obselete, then why did Paul go to the temple to offer sacrifices in the book of Acts? ' Bearing in my this was POST crucifixion/resurrection, and that Christ's sacrifice was a perfect, once-for-all sacrifice. That Christ was both high priest and sacrifice. What was the purpose of Pauls sacrifice? What kind of sacrifice was is? Why did he feel the need to offer an OT sacrifice? This action of Paul appears to contradict everything he teaches about the sacrificial, atoning work of Jesus Christ! ( Nobody has yet to answer this issue) Any ideas??

December 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM Reply
    • Jamie #

D.G.- Something that I try to keep in mind when I do not understand something in scripture is to not assume God's Word is contradicting itself but that I am lacking understanding on the subject. God's Word always needs to be approached in Faith that God's Word is the ultimate Truth and is infallible. When you lack understanding ask God for understanding and He will give you understanding. All of your questions are answered right in those chapters of Acts. One of the things to realize is that a lot of people do not approach God's word the correct way… They do not look at the context of what is going on before and after the section of scripture in question. I find that to be the case with a lot of non believers… They think they build a case against scripture finding contradictions but with proper understanding and hermeneutics those supposed contradictions are easily dismantled. Check out Matthew Henry's commentary on Biblegateway. I think he goes into your questions quiet well. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+

Also, I know John MacArthur has preached through the whole New Testament… If you do a search for Acts 21 I am sure of it you will find helpful resources and sermons to help educate you on the subject. http://www.gty.org

December 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Reply
      • D.G #

Hi Jamie, Thanks for your feedback. Just to clarify something – I dont, for a minute, believe that Scripture contradicts, so we are in complete agreement. I was simply relying the comments/questions put to me by another person who I believe to be a messianic jew. Even if I have no answer to the question, it is not a stumbling block to me. However, it seems to be a stumbling block for the jewish person. That being said, I do feel that answers to difficult questions be addressed in the interest of good apologetics. Thanks too, for mentioning John Macarthur. When the question came up, he was the first person I turned to for clarification, but found nothing. I do know that Macarthur stresses the fact that the Ceremonial Law is null and void after the sa rificial work of Christ.

December 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM Reply
      • Cindy #

Stay far away from anyone preaching Calvinism, it is a different gospel.
        [2Cr 11:1-4 NASB] 1 I wish that you would bear with me in a little foolishness; but indeed you are bearing with me.

2 For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin.

3 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

4 For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.

December 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM Reply
    • Matthew #

There is not enough factual evidence to say that Paul offered this sacrifice with the expectancy that salvation would come through it. In 1Cor 9:19-23, Paul talks of how he had made himself a slave to everyone to win as many as possible. This included becoming like one under the law, but not actually putting himself under it.

In this case, if he offered the sacrifice with no intention of it bringing him salvation, rather using the act to diffuse tension, then there is no sin. Paul previously circumcised Timothy as an expediency, with no intention of associating the ritual with salvation. This was done to remove prejudice, in a time where the law was so freshly abolished, not to provide salvation.

It should also be remembered that these rituals of cleansing are not always used to clean sin. For instance, new mothers needed to have a ritual cleansing after giving birth. Giving birth is not a sin, yet it required a spiritual cleansing in OT law.

Picture you are invited to a Jewish wedding or enter a Jewish temple. You would be asked to wear a yarmulke (possibly). Are you saying that this OT law requiring it is not redeemed by the blood of Christ by wearing it? No, you are simply respecting another religion. As long as you do not put yourself under the law, you are only being polite.

I frequent India a lot for work. Upon coming to a new factory or office, there is usually a ceremony where they will have someone apply a kukumam (dot of red powder) on the forehead as a part of the puja. I accept this mark because it means nothing to me or my faith. I am receiving it out of respect for my host's religion. This does not cause me to question my faith or my redemption through Christ. So this is not a sin.

December 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM Reply
      • D.G #

I find it hard to believe Paul would offer ANY kind of sacrice in order to keep the peace. It matters little the kind of sacrifice, the question remains: Why DID he offer a sacrifice…of any kind? I dont think Paul ever had a problem with standing up for the what he he knew to be true. He never comes across as the kind of character who would compromise his beliefs. I dont feel any sacrifice would, in any way, enhance the sacrificial work of Christ. So why do it?
        With respect.to the kukumama, I think we should be careful not to adopt anything that promotes another religion – bearing in mind its religious significance. By the same logic, would you wear a pentagram? Im sure that is equally a symbol that means nothing to you nor does it make you question your faith. I understand the respect factor, but lets remember this is not a cultural issue but a religious one.

December 11, 2013 at 2:47 AM Reply
    • Cindy #

Dear D.G.
      The answer is here:
      [Mar 12:30 KJV] 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment.
      and here:
      [Luk 10:27-28 KJV] 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
      and then here:
      [Mat 22:37-38 KJV] 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.
      Paul went to the temple not to obey an old law, but to worship the Lord in Spirit and in Truth. The Lord called him to go to the temple, as part of Paul's relationship with His Savior. And in Paul's case as to demonstrate that Jesus was in fact the Jewish Messiah. He did not go to the temple to assert his own righteousness, of which he knew we have none, he went out of love and adoration to the One who covers us with His Righteousness. So, it is a position of the heart. Do we do things to prove our worth or to acknowledge He only is worthy. If someone is professing that the old law must be kept in order to be right with Jesus, then no, they have not accepted His all atoning work in Spirit and in Truth. [Jhn 4:23-24 KJV] 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.
      Hope that helps give an answer to your concern.

December 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM Reply
  2. Carol Von Canon #

Hi D.G.,

Most commentators agree that Paul was making a Nazarite vow in Acts 21 when he went to the Temple, sacrificed, had his head shaved, and paid for 4 others to do so also at the request of the Lord's brother, James.

There is mention of Paul making this same vow (on his own) in Acts 18.

For an Israelite to take a Nazarite vow was a declaration that he was completely devoted to God and to His Law, and James wanted the accusing Jews to know this about Paul.

I doubt the apostle Paul would do anything as underhanded as to take a Nazarite vow just to be in good standing with the Jews, or out of respect for their religion. Paul was a righteous man before God. I doubt he cared what people thought of him as much as he cared what God thought of him. A careful study of Acts and Paul's epistle will reveal that Paul kept God's Law, and taught others to do so (including the keeping of the Sabbath which was established at creation. I doubt you will find anywhere in the New Testament where any follower of Jesus didn't keep His Law. Jesus Himself said,

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

If we are truly following Jesus, we will pursue the fulfilling of the Law in ourselves.

Most Christians say it was the Law that was nailed to the cross, but it wasn't. It was the legal accusations against us for having broken God's Law, and the penalty of death for us for having done so, aka, "the handwriting that was against us", that was nailed to the cross. God's Law is not against us! It is holy, and it is because He loves us that He gives us the Law of His Kingdom to live by. Not to be saved by, for only Jesus can save us, but to live by. Do we not live by the Law of the USA? Why would anyone think we should not live by God's Law?

I am just recently learning these things, and I confess, I struggle to live by God's Law, but He gives me grace, that is, the power to do so.

Yes, the animal sacrifices for sin have passed away, but then, we must remember that no man was ever saved by the sacrifice of an animal. Even in the Old Testament, men were saved by faith in God as He had manifested Himself to them at that time. Since Jesus came, we comprehend that our faith is to be in Him. But even in the Old Testament men looked forward and put their faith in the Messiah who was promised to come and save them.

I don't understand it, but I find it interesting that animals will be sacrificed in Ezekiel's Temple, which many say is the millennial Temple.

And I am shocked by those who say that keeping God's Law is legalism. Without Law we have chaos. And to say that love is now the Law, well, how do we express that love? By sentimentality? Or by the good works of the Law? And to say that God's Law is offence, legalistic, and oppressive! Can you tell me which of God's Laws you find offence and oppressive? Thou shalt not kill? Thou shalt not covet? Thou shalt not steal? Love the Lord your God with your whole heart, mind, and soul? Just which of His Laws do these people find offensive and oppressive?

The ancient Israelites who were under the Old Covenant sacrificed lambs for their sins, our sacrifice is the Lamb of God. And this is the New Covenant God promised to Israel:

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Notice that this New Covenant is promised to the house of Israel–not to the gentiles, but to Israel. Thank God that we gentiles have been grafted into the tree of Israel! And now, being in Christ, we are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise.

As we know, Jesus ratified this New Covenant with His blood.

December 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM Reply
    • D.G #

Thanks for your feedback Carol. Much appreciated. Just a couple of points though :
      Paul was a 'Pharisee of the pharisees' so his devotion to God and the law would never have brought into question by any of the Jews..Im pretty sure Paul's vows would have been made years before Acts since he was at the top of the heap – At least by jewish thinking.
      If not one jot.or tittle passes away from the law, then why so many OT laws no longer in operation? Are you saying that the ceremonial law and judicial law is still in effect for the jews?
      I think we should be careful to differentiate clearly between the MORAL LAW
      ( Which is based on God's moral attributes ie 10 Commandments, and therefore, still in effect) and the other 2 divisions of the law. Otherwise we'll be getting circumcised, abstaining from shellfish, walking only a sabbath mile and killing homosexuals etc So when we refer to 'the Law' we need to be very clear what law we're talking about.
      Just a final point: Im sure you know that we, as christians, do not celebrate the biblical sabbath (Saturday) but have chosen Sunday instead.

December 11, 2013 at 3:25 AM Reply
    • D.G #

incidentally, it's worth noting that although the sabbath day rest was initiated at creation, it is the only commandment never mentioned anywhere in the NT other than Hebrews. All the others are not only upheld but reiterated, except the sabbath commandment. The sabbath commandment was only a shadow of Jesus Christ – who is now our perfect rest. 'Come unto me all those who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.' This is a beautiful example of how Christ is the fulfillment of a lesser command. As Paul instructed us in Colossians 2:16 Dont let anyone judge you on keeping or not keeping the sabbath. And again in Rom 14:5 where be states that some hold every day alike. It should be noted that Jesus raised the bar when it came to the commandments – Its no longer enough to 'Not kill' since, if we have hatred in our hearts, thats as good as murder. Similarly, Not only should we not commit adultery, but if we lust after someone, we've as good as broken that command. I reckon the same is true of keeping the sabbath. We should now observe every day as holy. Mind you, anyone who tries to talk their way out of observing every day as holy, should be regarded as having questionable motives.

December 11, 2013 at 5:26 AM Reply
  3. Carol Von Canon #

I just want to add a few things to what I've already said. When God led Israel out of the bondage of Egypt, He saved them. They were under no law, but the law of their conscience. Yet, we must admit that they were a saved people. Then He brought them to Sinai, and gave them, as it were, the constitution–the Law–under which they should live as a holy people saved by God. So the Law came after salvation. And we know from what we read in the New Testament, that the purpose of the Law was to bring them to Christ. And so the Lord wrote His Law on 2 tables of stone, and all that followed–all that is called the Mosaic Law–was, as it were, the exposition–the explanation–the expounding of the Law of God.

What is the Law of God? Love God and love your neighbor. Actually, it can even be boiled down further. Love God and you can't help but love your neighbor.

But the Law came to Israel as a list of hard, cold dos and donts. It was impossible to keep, because they did not have the heart to keep it. Their hearts were wicked. That was their inherited nature. They had no power to change themselves. And the Law certainly had no power to change them. Even if, like Paul, they kept the Law perfectly, they still retained their sinful natures.

But in Jeremiah 31, and also in Ezekiel 11, God promises the people that He will change them. He'll take away their stony hearts and give them hearts of flesh, and put His Law in their hearts, and give them a new spirit, and cause them to walk in His ways, not out of obligation and fear, but out of love for Him.

And so, Jesus came and died for our sins, and when God opens our eyes to see our sinfulness and how much it has cost Him and hurt Him, we are born again, receiving the new heart of flesh, and a new nature like unto His nature.

Yes, we continue to battle the old man, but we know that we are more than conquerors through Christ who loved us and gave His life for us, and we know that the day is coming when we shall be like Him.

The Law was given to ancient Israel on Sinai, but the Holy Spirit was given to the church on Pentecost. There is no difference in how one is saved in the Old and New Covenants. We are all saved by faith through grace. The Law remains the same. However, now the Law is no longer written on stone. We're no longer under that hard, cold stony Law. But we now have a new nature, and His Holy Spirit, and His Law is written on our hearts, and out of love for all that He has done for us, we desire to please Him by obeying Him.

It's a difficult subject to understand for some reason. I hope I've made myself clear.

December 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM Reply
  4. Cherie c. #

Carol,

Are you saying you're a Sabbath Keeper? Because we live by faith. Jesus told us two commandments to live by:

Matthew 22:35-41

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I pray this is what you meant by living by God's law. Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic Law.

your sister in Christ Jesus,
    Cherie c.

December 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM Reply
  5. Carol Von Canon #

Cherie (and D.G., too),

Let me ask you, "Are you a commandment keeper? Because the Word says,

Rev_14:12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

And in another place it says,

Joh_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

And again,

Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

You may say that Jesus has different commandments than the Father has. But how can that be, since Jesus is one with the Father?

Does Jesus not command us to love God with all our heart, soul and might. If we neglect any of the first 4 commandments of God, then we aren't loving Him with all our hearts, souls, and might. And doesn't Jesus command us to love our neighbor as ourself? So, likewise, if we neglect any of the last 6 commandments, we are not obeying Jesus.

As far as I know, God has 10 Commandments, and has since the beginning. We know that God rested from all of His work of creation on the 7th Day. Not the 6th day, nor the 8th day, nor any other day, but the 7th Day. And we know that the 7th Day began right after sundown on the 6th day, because over and over again, we're told that there was "the evening and the morning". So God's days begin at evening. Yes, the Jews keep a 7th day Sabbath, but how can it be the Sabbath of the Lord, when they don't know the Lord? So we can't say that God's 7th Day = the Jews 7th day. To this day, the Jews keep the letter of the Law. We are to walk in the spirit.

In mercy, God shared this way of accounting days with the Israelites and He also gave them His Day–the 7th Day–to share with Him, thus giving Israel the concept of the "week". (Please note, He did not give these things to the Jews, but to the Israelites, because at that time there were no Jews other than the tribe of Judah which was part of Israel.)

During the captivities of Judah, they became more known as "the Jews". And these Jews came back to Israel (mainly from Babylon) with a religion that resembled the many things God had given them, but significantly different. They never truly understood that the Law was spiritual, but it seems that after Babylon, the religious leaders had twisted and turned, added to and detracted from the Word of God until it became to them a dead religion in which they adamantly kept the letter of the Law, while denying it's spirit.

Jesus did not practice the Jews religion, which caused all kinds of mayhem for Him with the Pharisees, but He did keep God's Law perfectly, and as God intended it to be kept, in spirit and in truth.

Jesus kept the Sabbath. Aren't we His followers?

There are some who will argue that Jesus broke the Sabbath, by allowing His disciples to pick grain on that day, or by healing on that day, etc. But God made no such laws. These rules were added to the letter of the Law by the Jews. Besides, if Jesus had broken one of God's Laws, He would not have been sinless, and therefore there would have been no resurrection. So that's a very poor argument.

Still others say that the Sabbath has been changed from Saturday to Sunday. Well, God's Sabbath begins in the evening of the 7th Day (our Friday night) and continues through sundown (our Saturday).If the Jews happen to reckon their days in the same way God reckons the days, well praise God! There is hope for them. Maybe they'll begin to see other things God's way also.

Then there are those who say that Sunday has been changed to the Sabbath, because that's the day Christ rose from the dead. I have studied this over and over and over again, and I cannot see where Christ rose on Sunday. In fact, it seems to me that Jesus rose on the Sabbath. Let's look at some scriptures:

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

As soon as the Sabbath sun went down, the 2 Mary's went to the tomb of Jesus. Notice, the Sabbath was over before they left their homes. They didn't leave them until it began "to dawn toward the first day". Now they may have gone out at night, right after sundown, or they may have waited until very early morning. I don't know. But I do know, because the scripture tells me, Jesus had already risen. Now He may have risen before sunrise, in which case why do so many Christians keep and Easter Sunrise service? Or did He rise on the Sabbath, and they just happened to find an empty tomb on the 1st day of the week?

Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Here we are told they arrived at the rising of the sun. But they didn't see Jesus rise from the dead, because the tomb was already empty.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

And again, the tomb was already empty.

Now, I know these scriptures offer no positive proof that Jesus rose on the Sabbath, but neither do they offer proof He rose on Sunday, either. All we know is that the woman came to the tomb very early on the 1st day of the week, and the tomb was already empty.

So why do I think Jesus rose on the Sabbath? Because it was the Lord's Day!!!

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Luk 6:5 And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

That gives us a clearer understanding of what day it was when John in Rev. 1:10 tells us he was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day.

Exo 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Show me any place in the Bible that says God changed His holy Day to Sunday?

But don't the Church Father's talk about Sunday being the Day of the Lord? My dear brothers and sisters, corruption was already infiltrating the church at the time of Paul. It's been a while since I've read anything by these so-called Church Fathers, so I really don't remember specifics, but I do remember that these guys often contradict the Word and each other. They cannot be relied on for truth.

I grew up Catholic, and I can remember studying my Catholic Catechism, and reading that it was the Catholic Church that changed the Sabbath from the 7th Day to Sunday, and it was stated in that book that this ability to change times was proof that they were the one true church and the authority of God on earth. And even today, the RCC glories in the fact that most Protestant denominations keep Sunday, saying that this proves they are the "Mother", and the Protestants their rebellious children who will return home to Mother eventually–and it sure looks like that's happening a lot these days with the eccumenism movement that's going on.

BTW, the RCC is a bunch of sun worshipers. That's why they like SUN day so much. Did you ever see their eucaharist (the communion wafer) in it's "monstrance" Not only is the wafer round like the sun, but the monstrance is made of gold and the wafer sits in a little "box" in the center, while golden sun rays flare out from it.

But isn't Jesus our Sabbath? We do have rest in Jesus–rest from our burdens and sins. But who would say we have the rest of God on this earth? We have trials, tribulations, spiritual warfare, persecution, false teachers and prophets, the world, the flesh, and the devil! Can you honestly say we have the rest of God? But it's coming!!! He is coming!!! And soon and very soon we shall enter that Eternal Day, God's Day of rest!

So yes, I remember the Sabbath and do my best to keep it holy unto the Lord. What exactly so I do on the Sabbath? Well, I wake up and I say, "This is your day, Lord. What do you want to do today?" Sometimes, he wants me to study my Bible, or take a long nap, or go for a walk, or pray, or sit and have a long talk with my husband, or He'll send somebody by, or have someone call, or He'll want me to write to someone. It's His day, so I try to spend every moment of it doing His will.

But can't I do that every day of the week? Not without the distractions of this life and it's responsibilities. You see, I'm very poor at keeping the Sabbath holy. I have a very short attention span or something. But He is showing me the way. I look forward to the Sabbath all week long!

December 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM Reply
  6. Matthew #

The Sabbath was meant to be a day for the Lord. This as later interpreted into Sunday, or whatever your day of worship and praise to him may fall on. Unfortunately, in today's world, it is impossible for everyone to check out on Sundays. My day for Church happens to be on Saturday, but it is simply because this is when our service is. You will not find me boasting that my Saturday night is better than your Sunday morning…however our pastor does joke that those that give up their Saturday nights to come to Church love Jesus more!

I do a lot of work on this day, as I live in China where foreign Churches are not allowed to have their own building. I spend my Saturday morning in meetings discussing the day's service and what extra need have to be considered. Then we head over to the Church after lunch and are there until 9PM. I spend at least 7 hours every Saturday at the Church. Because I am working, does this mean I am not keeping the Sabbath?

At the end of our time here on earth, I do not think the day I (or anyone) chooses to take as a Sabbath and what that exactly looks like for them, will come into question.

And as much as I can dislike what the RCC teaches, we could probably all do with a little less conspiracy theory.

December 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM Reply
  7. Carol Von Canon #

Hi Matthew,

Here's what Jesus had to say about working on the Sabbath:

Mat 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
    Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

Good works are more then appropriate on the Sabbath. This is why the Pharisees accused the Lord of breaking the Sabbath, because Jesus did the good works of the Father on that day.

So you must ask yourself and especially ask the Lord, are you doing what He wants you to do on the Sabbath? If so, that's wonderful! If not, then ask Him what He would have you do.

The 7th Day Sabbath seems to my flesh to be such a little thing. Why would the Lord require that day and that day only? The only answer I can come up with is that it's His Day. He appointed it and made it holy, and has commanded us to keep it holy. Our ways are not His ways, and our thoughts are not His thoughts.

Jesus does say, John_14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. So if someone doesn't keep His 4th Commandment, logic tells me that person does not love the Lord, even though they proclaim His name, Of course their are those who are ignorant of this, but once light comes, we should follow the light.

At the end of our time here on earth, keeping all 10 of God's Commandments will definitely come into question. Only those who obey Him will enter the New Jerusalem.

Rev_22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

In Acts 5:32 we're told that the Holy Spirit is given to them that obey Him, and in Heb. 5:9 we're told that Jesus is the Author of salvation to them that obey Him. So obedience is extremely important. If we refuse to obey Him, we are not His disciples.

So, if He tells us to observe and keep the 7th Day holy, shouldn't we obey Him?

I don't know what you mean about the RCC and conspiracy theories. Would you please explain that?

BTW, I've been watching a movie about Hudson Taylor on You Tube, and just took a short break to see what you've written here. Since you are in China, you would probably love this movie about a man who gave God His all so that China might receive the Word of God. Here's link in case you'd like to see it:

December 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM Reply
  8. Carol Von Canon #

Hmmmm?? For some reason the wrong link came up. Here's the movie I spoke about. I have watched the one called "The Book of Revelation, so I can't recommmend it. Here's the link to the Hudson Taylor movie (I hope!).

December 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM Reply
  9. Carol Von Canon #

I'm sorry, Matthew, the wrong movie keeps coming up. I'm sure if you Google, "Hudson Taylor You Tube" you'll be able to find the right movie. Christian Cinema 2000 posted the movie.

December 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Reply