In the past decade, much has been said about the Emergent Church movement. There’s no doubt that it has done more harm to the Bride of Christ than any other trend or movement, by giving people the freedom to re-imagine basic doctrines of the Bible, and reinvent truth as in the eye of the beholder. Where is that movement, ten years later? Some say the movement died out a few years ago. Some say it’s morphing into other more dangerous movements that are very hard to detect.
What do those who are in the Emergent Movement say about it? As you’ll find out today on our program, there is a clarion call from those in the Emergent Church to now take this “conversation” and give it legs.
Church of Tares: Purpose Driven, Seeker-Sensitive, Church Growth & New World Order:
Here is how the producers describe their video project:
Church of Tares chronicles the man-centered pragmatism of these evangelical Christian movements in comparison to the Bible’s instruction for building the Church of Jesus Christ. As a sequel to The Real Roots of the Emergent Church, Church of Tares documents the connections between the liberal Emergent Church movement and the Church Growth movement. Both movements’ leadership were discipled by business management guru Peter Drucker, who was attracted to the megachurch movement as a social phenomenon that could bring about his “new society” and New World Order. Megacurch pastors Rick Warren and Bill Hybels as well as Leadership Network founder Bob Buford all acknowledge Drucker (who professed not to be a Christian) as their mentor and have built their organizations upon his secular business management philosophies rather than the foundation of Jesus Christ.
The fruit of these movements is great compromise of the Gospel and the Great Commission. Rick Warren claims to be ushering in a new spiritual awakening and second reformation with his P.E.A.C.E. Plan. But this reform appears to be a social reformation rather than a spiritual one by joining together in ministry with unbelievers to fight global giants. Such compromise has led to the affirming response letter to the Common Word document which declares Muhammad to be a prophet and the Bible and Qur’an to be of the “same Divine origin.”
Written, edited, narrated and directed by Elliott Nesch. Original interviews with:
- Paul Smith, leader in the Calvary Chapel movement founded by his brother Chuck Smith, who also wrote the foreword to Paul Smith’s book New Evangelicalism: The New World Order.
- Phil Johnson, executive Director of Grace to You, a Christian tape and radio ministry featuring the preaching ministry of John MacArthur.
- Chris Rosebrough, Captain of Pirate Christian Radio and Host of the Fighting for the Faith radio program, holds a degree in Religious Studies and Biblical Languages from Concordia University.
- Joe Schimmel, Senior Pastor of Blessed Hope Chapel in Simi Valley, California, head of Good Fight Ministries and producer of such films as The Submerging Church and They Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll.
- Gary Gilley, Senior Pastor of Southern View Chapel in Springfield, Illinois, and author of several books including This Little Church Went to the Market: The Church in the Age of Entertainment.
- Bob DeWaay, former Senior Pastor of Twin City Fellowship in Minneapolis, Minnesota, author of Redefining Christianity: Understanding the Purpose Driven Life Movement, The Emergent Church — Undefining Christianity as well as over 90 articles on important theological issues through Critical Issues Commentary.
- Ray Yungen, speaker, research analyst and author of A Time of Departing and For Many Shall Come in My Name.
- James Sundquist, founder of Rock Salt Publishing and author of Who’s Driving the Purpose Driven Church?
- Eric Ludy, bestselling author of dozens of books on Christian thought and living, the President of Ellerslie Mission Society, teaching pastor at the Church at Ellerslie, the lead instructor in the Ellerslie Leadership Training.
- Robert LeBus, Bible researcher, apologist and evangelist.
This film is non-profit and FREE, not to be bought or sold, but you do have permission to make copies and distribute freely. To obtain a DVD, simply contact us for a free copy or make a donation with your request:
- Emergence Christianity “Explosion!” (standupforthetruth.com)
- “What does it mean to be missional? Should Christians be missional?”
- The Real Roots of the Emergent Church ~ Plus Sequel ~ Church of Tares: Purpose Driven, Seeker Sensitive, Church Growth & New World Order (thereformedtraveler.com)
- “Church of Tares” a must-see video (standupforthetruth.com)
- The Emergent Church Isn’t Dead – Here’s Proof (patheos.com) – Leftist site