When we think about idolatry in our modern day, oftentimes the image comes to mind of a golden calf, a wad of cash or something tangible like that. But what exactly is idolatry of the heart that might sound like a good thing but can eclipse our view of our creator God, our eternal King? We will have that discussion in our second segment and get your thoughts, and Mike is going to have a very interesting cautionary tale.
As GotQuestions puts it, “All the various forms of modern idolatry have one thing at their core: self. We no longer bow down to idols and images. Instead we worship at the altar of the god of self. This brand of modern idolatry takes various forms.” (article)
We are 100% Listener supported. Donate now!
In our first segment, we are joined by Scott Alan Buss, a frequent guest on SUFTT. He is the author of several books including a new one titled The Beginning of Knowledge: Christ as Truth in Apologetics. Check out Scott’s blog here, as well as his other books, “Fire Breathing Christians: The Common Believer’s Call to Reformation, Revival, and Revolution” and “Apathetic Christianity: The Zombie Religion of American Churchianity.”
- Carl Lentz: Image vs. Substance (fightingforthefaith.com)
- Why Do Millions Flock to Joel Osteen’s Ministry? Why Is Hillsong NYC a Hit With Superstars and Millennials? (christianpost.com)
- JESUS CHRIST “SUPERSTAR?”
- “What are some modern forms of idolatry?”
- Prancing Ponies, Bible Belt Satanists, and America’s Proud Rebellion (firebreathingchristian.wordpress.com)