The Christian life is not just sitting back and letting God do all the work; nor is it trying to accomplish things only God can accomplish. Finding the correct biblical balance in living the Christian life is not always easy.
Several times in His Word God says He will do something once we have done something. But have we taken the time to really understand God’s promises to us and which of them are conditional on us doing something first?
Dave Wager of Nicolet Bible Institute joins us to discuss prayer, choices, God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibilities.
In our final segment we look at another example of the “progressive meltdown” in our nation. This time it is over The Super Bowl.
The Bible is full of promises and things that God says He will do, as well as things we should do. Why is it important that we know these things and keep them in proper context?
2 Chronicles 7:14 is a verse often quoted by Christians hoping that our nation will return to God. Though it was specific for the nation of Israel, the biblical principal can be applied to us. What is God saying we should do and if we obey, what he will then do?
We often seem to struggle with reconciling the truth that God is sovereign and yet men have choices.
- The struggle between how our choices fit into a sovereign God’s plans.
- What is the value of choice and why would God allow it.
Prayer can be confusing sometimes in a couple areas:
- God already knows the future…
- Sometimes we pray for others but do not know what is really best for them.
- How do we know we are praying consistent with God’s will?
- How difficult it is at times to pray for our enemies.
- Luke 18:1-8: Parable of the persistent widow: What is Jesus teaching us in this parable?
Do we sometimes lose sight of what prayer really is?
- Has it become “gimme, gimme, gimme”?
- Have we forgotten that prayer is also worship and submission to God?
- Asking for the wrong things or the wrong way?
- “If you ask me anything in my name I will do it.” (John 14:14)
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. 15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. John 14:12-15
My son, if you will receive my words
And treasure my commandments within you,
2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
Incline your heart to understanding;
3 For if you cry for discernment,
Lift your voice for understanding;
4 If you seek her as silver
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will discern the fear of the Lord
And discover the knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth knowledge and understanding.
7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
8 Guarding the paths of justice,
And He preserves the way of His godly ones.
9 Then you will discern righteousness and justice
And equity every good course.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart
And knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; Proverbs 2:1-10
Referenced in the last segment: